79 series dual cab build

Rumpig

Adventurer
Interesting build. The canopy looks brilliant, and very tidy. New springs are a vast improvement on stock too!

Re: spare tyre - can it fit under-tray? I'm planning a dual cab build and am struggling with the spare location. I've seen a couple of photos of roof mounts for spares - but don't fancy the weight being that high (plus changing a tyre is already annoying enough).
sorry for the super slow reply mate, i guess you noticed i haven't been on here for a while seeing i didn't answer your question...lol. I can't fit the spare under the tray due to the pull out draw i have under the rear section of the tray. Some guys do set there tray areas up high enough to fit a spare under them, but many prefer to hang them off of the back of the canopies instead....i didn't do that as i don't like the idea of having so much weigh so far behind the rear axle.

As i wrote above..... been a while since i updated this thread, have just been driving the vehicle as is and not done heaps to it really. I have added a few things to the Cruiser the past few months but nothing major really, just things the vehicle should have come factory fitted with for the price they cost....lol
The standard stereo the vehicle comes with is an absolute joke, so i ditched it and fitted a new head unit and amp, but more importantly i ditched the old in dash speakers and put speakers in the front and back doors....all the doors were done with dynamat also for better sound. At the same time i had cruise control fitted to the vehicle aswell, that should make the long distance drives more relaxing on the legs. No pics of cruise control or head unit taken, but below is pics of the new look doors.....

EXISTING FRONT DOOR TRIM LOOK

NOW WITH SPEAKER FITTED....storage compartment has been moved back further onto the new spacer panels

REAR DOORS AS THE WERE ORIGINALLY

NEW LOOK REARS....HAD TO SACRIFICE THE DOOR ASHTRAYS SADLY...****** do they bother fitting them to a vehicle for these days anyhow?....lol

Recently installed a new Dept of Interiors centre console into the 79. It's a pretty simple job to do, made to feel worse then it should have by a hang over from work xmas do though. It's amazing how much more comfortable the driving positon feels, much more like my old 105 series Cruiser in the comfort stakes now.

EXISTING USELESS CONSOLE

WAY TO LOW TO REST YOUR ARM ON

SIZE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN O.E AND NEW CONSOLE

NEW CONSOLE INSTALLED...USABLE ARM REST HEIGHT NOW

INCLUDES 2 NEW DRINK HOLDERS (TOTAL OF 3 ALL UP IN THE FRONT NOW), AND A SMALL TRAY AREA ALSO FOR STORING CRAP IN

BajaSurfRig

This is my dream rig.. I will have to wait until 2022 to import a 1997. Only a couple more years :wings:

77cruiser77

Observer
hate to burst your bubble but the dual cab started in 2007, not 1997, and in the USA you have to wait 25 years past the manufactory date. In 2032 you can bring one in.

Rumpig

Adventurer
This is my dream rig.. I will have to wait until 2022 to import a 1997. Only a couple more years :wings:
I'm loving the vehicle myself, but it's not without it's faults...the turning circle is diabolical to say the least, wish it was more like my old 105 series in that regard

Rumpig

Adventurer
It took much longer then i had hoped, but the Cruiser now has some new rims and rubber on it now. The vehicle is now running some ROH Octagon 17X8" rims instead of the factory 16X7" rims it comes with, and it's gone from basically road LT tyres to a set of Nitto Grappler muddies

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited:

Rumpig

Adventurer
Looking good! I'm betting you don't miss the 105 all that much?
i don't miss it's gutless 1HZ engine, but I do miss it being more comfortable from a coils all round perspective when going off-road, aswell as more room inside the old vehicle. I do prefer the canopy on the back of my 79 over the wagon set up I had and certainly prefer the V8 in the new rig...both are great vehicles with positives and negatives for each. I'd happily own another 105, but only if I ran
a different engine in it that gave more power and not as a family touring vehicle (because there's so much more room in my current canopy set up).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online