8.25x16 Michelin XZL availability

PresidentGod

Hi,

I have a couple of 110 Station Wagons (pre-1990 so technically not Defender 110s) on their way from the UK and they're almost here. I'd really like to get some 8.25x16 XZL tires to put on the one I'm keeping but can't find anywhere to buy them. Does anyone out there have a supplier or know where I could find some? I'll need five and am located in Colorado.

And while I'm at it, thank you to everyone on this forum for making it one of my favorite places to come for information as well as entertainment!

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Would you really like to have tires on it that are that hard to come by? What if you blow one, where are you going to easily get a replacement?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
That's....quite the username you have there. We have found them for around $800 a piece if you're interested.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sorry. Not gonna happen. And if you do find them, they are probably old and super expensive...and require shipping. Ever shipped five giant heavy tires? Guess what is dismal...

I fail to see how this is a good idea.

On the flipside, you can drive in ANY name brand tire shop, ask for 255/85/16 tires. They will get them in the store for you (no shipping charge), charge you a fair market price for brand spanking new tires (in fact you can haggle with these guys a bit), and then offer you warranty and maintenance service. So now when you throw a weight, you just drive it in there and say, "This isn't perfect. Make it perfect." Then they do it...for free. All while you sit in their climate controlled waiting room judging other people and playing games on your smart phone.

Get a BFG KM2 if you are really gonna wheel the crap out of the truck. Otherwise get a BFG AT or some other more street friendly tread pattern.

BTW, the KM2's REALLY start bringing the win at 20psi and below. So "airing down" to 30 psi from a street pressure of 60 or whatever people run at isn't really going to do a whole lot for you.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
BTW, the KM2's REALLY start bringing the win at 20psi and below. So "airing down" to 30 psi from a street pressure of 60 or whatever people run at isn't really going to do a whole lot for you.

x2, they are awesome at low pressure. I run them at 14psi (255/85-16 on a 4500lbs 109" ) and they perform quite impressively. It's indeed retarded what pressures some people run on the street with an empty truck....

tacr2man

Adventurer
What made you want 8.25x16 tyres for a landrover ? just asking as they were never a size selected by rover, the 1 ton and FC varieties all used 900x16 . The standard lwb and and 127/130 all used 750x16 . Would also back up suggestion of 255/85 as a good modern choice. I personally run 285/75 , but dont know your type of usage.

PresidentGod

Would you really like to have tires on it that are that hard to come by? What if you blow one, where are you going to easily get a replacement?

I'm planning on carrying a repair kit with a CO2 tank, so barring a total blowout on the sidewall I'm thinking I'll be covered. You make a good point though, two spares is a better idea so I may have to fit a rear carrier too.

That's....quite the username you have there. We have found them for around $800 a piece if you're interested.

Thanks :) one of my friends worked selling action figures for Lucasfilm and he got a personal check from an actual human named PresidentGod. I think its the funniest name I've ever heard.
And - OUCH! I'm a high school teacher, so gonna have to pass on the $800 tires. Its looking less and less like the 8.25x16 is going to happen.

Sorry. Not gonna happen. And if you do find them, they are probably old and super expensive...and require shipping. Ever shipped five giant heavy tires? Guess what is dismal...

I fail to see how this is a good idea.

On the flipside, you can drive in ANY name brand tire shop, ask for 255/85/16 tires. They will get them in the store for you (no shipping charge), charge you a fair market price for brand spanking new tires (in fact you can haggle with these guys a bit), and then offer you warranty and maintenance service. So now when you throw a weight, you just drive it in there and say, "This isn't perfect. Make it perfect." Then they do it...for free. All while you sit in their climate controlled waiting room judging other people and playing games on your smart phone.

Get a BFG KM2 if you are really gonna wheel the crap out of the truck. Otherwise get a BFG AT or some other more street friendly tread pattern.

The 255/85r16 is one of the other two tires on my short list. The only reason I really like the 8.25x16 XZL is because it's an XZL and its a 34" tire instead of the little 7.50x16 variety I have. Do you recommend the KM2 over the Toyo M/T? I want a tire that will give me good road wear as well - BFG All Terrains would be great, but don't come in the magic 255/85r16 as far as I know. The last tire on my short list is the Treadwright Guard Dog (similar to OLD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) in 285/75r16. I love this tread pattern, but its wider than the 255. Was interested in M-55 too, but they're $300 each if you can find them. Currently leaning toward the 285/75.

I can't find these in 8.25x16! I saw them in 9.0x16, but that's a 36" tire and I don't want my center of gravity that high (considering the lift I'd need for full articulation).

What made you want 8.25x16 tyres for a landrover ? just asking as they were never a size selected by rover, the 1 ton and FC varieties all used 900x16 . The standard lwb and and 127/130 all used 750x16 . Would also back up suggestion of 255/85 as a good modern choice. I personally run 285/75 , but dont know your type of usage.

I really like the 255/85 and had narrowed my choices to that or the 285/75. I know that with a very mild lift the 8.25x16 would fit though, and love the XZL for longevity and strength. That's what prompted me to reach out and see if anyone knew of somewhere to get some - wishful thinking. You don't happen to run with a spare on your bonnet do you? I'm concerned that the 285/75 will be difficult to see around and that's really the only hangup I have with the size.

Thank you for the help, everyone! I kind of figured this is what I'd find out, but I had to ask and knew this was the place. Once the Rovers are here I'll be sure to put pictures up and start a thread showing my build - which will probably be a long, drawn out process due to the baby that will be here the same week as my trucks. Lots of excitement coming in the next month!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Guys who wheel their trucks here in the southeast don't like the toyos. That said, we have mud-covered rocks. I think the toyos are going to be better on road. However the BFGs KM2s are pretty good on the road. They won't be michelin quiet, but they will be tame and work well.

All that said, the standard 7.50x16 size works great. Its what I typically run on my 109. Except for getting into the super rough stuff, I prefer them as my 109 rolls very well on the highway with them.

If you want 34", then get TSLs. They will be miserable on road but oh my goodness SSSSSSOOOOOOOO good off road.

LR Max

Local Oaf
New? From where? I remember there was a guy in Florida selling XZLs mounted on wolf rims a couple years back. However I'm not sold on the XZLs performance in the mud (regional concern of mine, out west I bet they bring all kinds of win).

Also I'd scrap the 2nd spare tire. All that does is take up space, add weight, and you waste money on a tire that'll just dry rot away. If you really want a 2nd spare, keep one of your current tires (assuming you stick with the 7.50 size).

So far the only time I've needed to use my spare tire is when I got a puncture and my tires still had tubes in them (why you would run tubes, I have no idea considering how convenient plug kits are in comparison) and the other time is when my winch cable wrapped around the front tire and blew it out at 45 mph.

BTW, never have rope/cable wrapped around your bumper when traveling on the highway. Its a bad idea.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
You don't happen to run with a spare on your bonnet do you? I'm concerned that the 285/75 will be difficult to see around and that's really the only hangup I have with the size.

I used to have a spare 7.50 on the bonnet for a while, dumped it in favour of actually having proper visibility. A 285 would be far worse.

New? From where?

Also I'd scrap the 2nd spare tire. All that does is take up space, add weight, and you waste money on a tire that'll just dry rot away. If you really want a 2nd spare, keep one of your current tires (assuming you stick with the 7.50 size).

So far the only time I've needed to use my spare tire is when I got a puncture and my tires still had tubes in them

We can buy them online from multiple suppliers and have them delivered at home the next day.. Just like you guys can do with swampers, pitbulls and all the other proper offroad tires that are practically not available here...

Same story here. Only 2 flats I ever had were due to tubes failing all of a sudden, both within a day of each other. Only couple months old as well. Never ever would I run tubes again. .

Interesting btw, the label on that XZL notes a 76db noise level, the 35" cooper STT I bought as a spare is 73db according to the label...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have a set of 6/ea 8.25 XZLs- 4 have <4k miles, and 2 are new (looked for 20 years before finding a decently priced set), on Wolfs. You likely will never use the spare, and the real specialty of these tires is their puncture resistance and longevity (when did you ever see a XZL with weather checking??). That is part of their design criteria for military applications as they sit for ever, then potentially are called into duty. And you can easily run single digit air pressure without popping a bead...

Not trying to sell you on the tire, but I have a set if you are interested- going to 9.00/16 for the 130 breakover angle. And I can ship relatively inexpensively if you can pick them up at a Forward Air terminal- they will be on a pallet, and will be loaded with a forklift for you- or you can remove the pallet and load them yourself. PM if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles