80/20 or similar to build small/removable cargo shelf ?

eztube.com framing systems and drawer slide & drawers should be about the easiest & cheapest to do what you want. I would use a hdpe type solid color plastic on top/sides ( think cutting board material) if it gets stracthes it won't show as bad.

no affiliation with eztube, but it's exactly what I would use to dyi some of the high $$ stuff. There's another place but I can't find info. but I think all this type material is falls under boltless framing systems.

go crazy & have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

damn dude, that website is gonna cost me money! A lot like the 80/20 but seems cheaper.

good news, I I found out our local home depot sells the 1" aluminum for about $2 a foot, which is half the price of the place I've seen online. also no shipping to contend with.

I think I have the plans done (in my head). think a table with a bonus cross member in the middle. On top of that will be a thin piece of plywood. haven't decided if I'm going to hinge it or not. but that piece will be covered in automotive carpet to match. I'm thinking of doing maybe 4" of space under there as it seems like my rifle cases, most ammo boxes, etc will fit under there .One nice thing though is how easy it would be to pop in longer legs.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I keep seeing posts about 80/20 and can't help but think that you could buy a decent welder and do thin wall steel for less than the price of some of these systems when all components are added up. Am I crazy? that is what I've done so far and I feel like it has worked out, although the welder was bought for other projects, so the tool drove the cargo system design... the old "all you have is a hammer" concept.

As a note, part of my cargo area project involved tack welding in the jeep. I'm a gifted amateur with teriffic insurance. Don't try it at home unless you can claim equivalent status! And... Wet towels are your friend.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Cheap aluminum angle and flat stock, plus nylock nuts and screws can make some pretty durable cabinetry. Use 1/4-3/8" plywood for the skin. Adhesive and through screw/bolt to the aluminum frame. A chop saw with carbide blade, some basic hand tools, a good drill and accurate measurements are all you need.

Hobart makes a cheap 115V flux core welder. With a bit of practice you can weld light gauge steel tubing and bar stock with little trouble. The welds will need grinding and clean-up of course. Add a coat of paint and you are good to go. There is an amazing amount of problems that can be solved quickly with a light duty welder.

I keep seeing posts about 80/20 and can't help but think that you could buy a decent welder and do thin wall steel for less than the price of some of these systems when all components are added up. Am I crazy?
Hobart makes a cheap 115V flux core welder. With a bit of practice you can weld light gauge steel tubing and bar stock with little trouble. The welds will need grinding and clean-up of course. Add a coat of paint and you are good to go. There is an amazing amount of problems that can be solved quickly with a light duty welder.

I want to learn to weld, and I would eventually like a decent little welder to use and mess around with. I don't have anyone here to teach me. I also have a small kiddo, so time is very limited at the moment. I'm also not currently sure how I want the thing to look. that's why I've decided to go with some of the connectors. we'll see how it turns out, and I'll post pics if I can once it's all together.

rudee13

I know how to weld and have everything to build but I'd still do it with the connectors just like the the high $$ sets. 80/20 not necessary. 1-1.5" stock of your choice, connectors, good planning, a drill, hack saw and you're set. some systems can't be assembled fully outside of vehicle and need to be pieced together once thru the door.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I've used unistrut for a few projects, it's like man sized erector sets. It's cheaper (but heavier) than the aluminum framing, but for a small project like this the weight difference is negligible. The advantage is I can get everything locally so when plans change it's easy to go to the local home depot and pick up more material, and with the variety of connectors available I get to avoid all the drilling, it's just cut and connect.

whitenoise

Adventurer
damn dude, that website is gonna cost me money! A lot like the 80/20 but seems cheaper.

good news, I I found out our local home depot sells the 1" aluminum for about $2 a foot, which is half the price of the place I've seen online. also no shipping to contend with.

I think I have the plans done (in my head). think a table with a bonus cross member in the middle. On top of that will be a thin piece of plywood. haven't decided if I'm going to hinge it or not. but that piece will be covered in automotive carpet to match. I'm thinking of doing maybe 4" of space under there as it seems like my rifle cases, most ammo boxes, etc will fit under there .One nice thing though is how easy it would be to pop in longer legs.

The eztube and similar product from McMaster-Carr have internal serrations to hold the connectors in by friction, so dont expect normal 1" tube to work as well or at all.

The eztube and similar product from McMaster-Carr have internal serrations to hold the connectors in by friction, so dont expect normal 1" tube to work as well or at all.

welp, ********.... good thing I didn't just come home from HD with 16 feet of aluminum... maybe I"ll screw the connectors in?

plh

Explorer
I quickly priced out eztube in a configuration similar to the goose gear kitchen (sink & icebox). External skeleton is about $300 for the bits. So if you are skilled, its possible to make some pretty nice kit for yourself. For sure there would be several hours and a couple hundred in extras, but a similar goose gear setup is ~$3300

rudee13

what i' ve read from poking around on various references to using eztube type connectors in photography, trade shows, etc. some use an adhesive for a permanent securing.
I have no experience with any materials. I spent an evening a few months ago searching around the interwebs cause the goosegear type stuff has to come from some where right? pretty sure Grainer Supply stocks connectors if you have one local and want to try before you buy. too much on my trailer build to do list and camping this summer for me to mess with now.

someone check it out and let us know,
rudee

someone check it out and let us know,
rudee

I will check it out and let you know. My connectors are literally in the mail and I have the aluminum hanging out in my garage as we speak. hopefully everything gets here by the weekend and I can mess with it, but I had to add rebuilding a chunk of the fence to the weekend plans.

I figure if they aren't good connections I can:
Duct tape it all together while I see if this configuration works for me
put screws through the ends of the aluminum and into the connectors
use some manner of adhesive
and probably something I'm not sure of right now. maybe thread locker tape to thicken up the connectors? IDK. we'll see I guess. worst case is it will be $90 I already spent and I have wasted significantly more on significantly less in my life.

rudee13

below is part of a thread I had come across in my search of real life experience with these connectors and using off the shelf tubing. They are using esto connectors but the same could apply to eztube if they are tight.
of course, the remedy to this would be to buy tubing from eztube or such. my plans included using eztube tubing with fins or the captive fins and 1/4" hdpe sheet for my top.
also found some folks using these on YouTube for various applications.
50fc2c2f012ddb0ae5ed381328f223f5.jpg

rudee13

also these guys were using them to set up and take apart for photo shoots booth so don't think it's a big deal if connectors are that tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier