80 or 100

Fireaxe

To you cruisers. I am a proud owner of a Jeep TJ. I love my Jeep but have found there is no room for family adventures anymore. If I must give up the Jeep I want a Land Cruiser. I am doing everything I can to research the cruisers. Does the UZJ100's have lockers. And are there engines as strong as the Inline 6's? I am finding it difficult to purchase anything under 2000 through the bank, so I am beginning to lean towards the UZJ100. Plus the wife lieks the comfort and you know that is a plus for me. If anyone has some info they would like to share please let me know. Or if you wouldn't mind me asking some questions drop me an email. I can also be reached at chefzuniga@yahoo.com Thanks Jesse

OneTime

Adventurer
Fireaxe, Check out ih8mud.com all the cruiser info you could ever want. I have and 80 and thought about going to a 100. I posted the same question in a forum 80 vs 100. Guys fought back and forth for weeks. Look in the 100 furom. I'm sure my thread is still there. If you want to do serious wheeling. Id say the 80 with factory lockers. If you want comfort and the v8 go with the 100.

gearguywb

Explorer
I have had a '95 and currently have an '04. The 80 is a great vehicle. With factory front and rear lockers they are just about unstopable off road. What the 100 brings is power, comfort, and more room. You can't go wrong either way.

Starscream

Adventurer
gearguywb said:
I have had a '95 and currently have an '04. The 80 is a great vehicle. With factory front and rear lockers they are just about unstopable off road. What the 100 brings is power, comfort, and more room. You can't go wrong either way.

Couldn't have said it better myself.... 80 series are awesome vehicles, but you will get a higher level of refinement with a 100 series. I would say if you are looking for off road capability, go with the 80. If you want a vehicle for road trips, vacations, etc. go with the 100.

Have a nice weekend!

-Matt

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Fireaxe said:
To you cruisers. I am a proud owner of a Jeep TJ. I love my Jeep but have found there is no room for family adventures anymore. If I must give up the Jeep I want a Land Cruiser. I am doing everything I can to research the cruisers. Does the UZJ100's have lockers. And are there engines as strong as the Inline 6's? I am finding it difficult to purchase anything under 2000 through the bank, so I am beginning to lean towards the UZJ100. Plus the wife lieks the comfort and you know that is a plus for me. If anyone has some info they would like to share please let me know. Or if you wouldn't mind me asking some questions drop me an email. I can also be reached at chefzuniga@yahoo.com Thanks Jesse

Fireaxe: Welcome to a great collection of forums! Where are you located?

Slee Offroad,
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/

Go to their Tech Zone and you will find great information on the various years/features for 80's & 100's.

There have numerous heated debates about this subject...threads deleted by mods, etc. :wings: on 'MUD.

Essentially it all comes down, IMO, to application. Where and how will you use your rig? I take my '99 into some places right beside 80's. Although there are much more rigorous trails (Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy, etc.) that IMO the hundy just doesn't belong...its just not it's sweet spot (where as a built 80 could and has made it through those types of aggressive (4-5 rated) crawl type trails). However nothing eats up rough/washboard dirt/gravel roads like IFS...that's where the 100 really shines. And that is where I travel about 90% when I'm off-pavement. And since I pull a loaded AT Horizon the V8 really helps too!

Now...if I had it to do all over again I'd probably opt for a '00+ or preferably an '03-'04 (added the 5speed in '03)...for the ATRAC. I'd install ARB lockers front and rear (along with all the gear I have on my '99). I was recently in a situation: Off-camber, deep ditch to my left, snow/ice covered where the lockers were pulling me towards the ditch (off-camber slippery slopes aren't the best spotlight for lockers)...I believe ATRAC would have allowed me to continue my journey without backing down or installing chains.

For a family with children you may place a high value on VSC for its safety factor...worth it's price/weight in gold when you're on snow/ice covered highway and things start getting out of control...again found on '00+.

Here's my write up on my rig if you are interested...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/169441-featured-100-spressomon.html

Hope this helps you...Dan

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Fireaxe said:
Does the UZJ100's have lockers. And are there engines as strong as the Inline 6's?

Early 100 series had the option of a factory rear e-locker - I think it was through 2000 or 2001. No dice after that. And that V8 is a really nice engine. Not sure how many have topped 200K miles, but in terms of power and efficiency, it's a great choice.

Bighead

Adventurer
Jacket said:
Early 100 series had the option of a factory rear e-locker - I think it was through 2000 or 2001. No dice after that. And that V8 is a really nice engine. Not sure how many have topped 200K miles, but in terms of power and efficiency, it's a great choice.

Rear lockers were available on the 98-99 UZJ100s.

rionorte

I concur with spressomon.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a 03+ 100 series first. Much newer and more luxury for my family of 5. I dont look for rocks everytime I go out so the IFS, larger size, and electronic traction doesnt really matter to me.

Aside from above, having an 80 series seem to bring a smile everytime I look at mine - even though its a 13 year truck that has parts that need a rebuild or replacement.

spressomon said:
Fireaxe: Welcome to a great collection of forums! Where are you located?

Slee Offroad,
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/

Go to their Tech Zone and you will find great information on the various years/features for 80's & 100's.

There have numerous heated debates about this subject...threads deleted by mods, etc. :wings: on 'MUD.

Essentially it all comes down, IMO, to application. Where and how will you use your rig? I take my '99 into some places right beside 80's. Although there are much more rigorous trails (Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy, etc.) that IMO the hundy just doesn't belong...its just not it's sweet spot (where as a built 80 could and has made it through those types of aggressive (4-5 rated) crawl type trails). However nothing eats up rough/washboard dirt/gravel roads like IFS...that's where the 100 really shines. And that is where I travel about 90% when I'm off-pavement. And since I pull a loaded AT Horizon the V8 really helps too!

Now...if I had it to do all over again I'd probably opt for a '00+ or preferably an '03-'04 (added the 5speed in '03)...for the ATRAC. I'd install ARB lockers front and rear (along with all the gear I have on my '99). I was recently in a situation: Off-camber, deep ditch to my left, snow/ice covered where the lockers were pulling me towards the ditch (off-camber slippery slopes aren't the best spotlight for lockers)...I believe ATRAC would have allowed me to continue my journey without backing down or installing chains.

For a family with children you may place a high value on VSC for its safety factor...worth it's price/weight in gold when you're on snow/ice covered highway and things start getting out of control...again found on '00+.

Here's my write up on my rig if you are interested...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/169441-featured-100-spressomon.html

Hope this helps you...Dan

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Welcome! Do a seach here and over on mud and you'll come up with tons of info. Can't go wrong either way IMHO for expedition/overland/adventure use. It came down to a budget for me. The base 100 was more than a 80 to get me in the game.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Welcome! Do a seach here and over on mud and you'll come up with tons of info. Can't go wrong either way IMHO for expedition/overland/adventure use. It came down to a budget for me. The base 100 was more than a 80 to get me in the game.

I have own both and I agree with the above.

Brian894x4

Explorer
I wish I could own both.

I went 80 because I was replacing my SAS mini-truck and I just didn't want to go back to IFS. Not that IFS doesn't ever work. It was more psychological than anything. I had so much time and money invested in a solid axle rig, I didn't want to get rid of it only to go back to IFS. Plus the 80s are much cheaper. I'm really amazed at well the solid axle 80 does drive and handle.

I've only been behind the wheel of a 100 a few times. The 100 had more power, much better brakes, a little better ride and I think gets slightly better gas mileage. But it's also a lot heavier for some reason.

I don't regret my 80 and I probably wouldn't trade it for a 100 if given the chance, but if I could have one of each, I'd be in heaven. Of course, the wife would get the 100. :D

I'd use the 100 for long highway road trips and the 80 for our research/exploration trips into the mountains and woods and desert.

Now I just have to win the lottery.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
A general note to John Shotts...

You are not allowed to post in this thread :shakin:

...jk buddy ;)

I'll post for him:D:wings: :jumping:

Fireaxe,

If you are looking for a vehicle in excellent used condition, you should have no problem finding a nice 100 series. There are tons of them around with absolutely no scratches on the underside! The 100 series is an excellent used car value - you get a really nice vehicle for the money.

2000 is a good starting point, depending on your price range. As mentioned, 2000 will get you TRAC (traction control) and VSC (vehicle skid control). You will have to add lockers if you want them.

The 2UZFE V8 is an excellent motor. There are many people with more than 200k miles on these motors already. The starter contacts go bad around 100k and need to be replaced, which is a pain in the rear. The timing belt will need to be changed around 100k too, so if you are buying a vehicle find out if this was done or not and factor the cost into the price.

Plan on upgrading your rear coil springs and front torsion bars with Old Man Emu springs. You will gain about 2" of height and it will perform like a 4x4 should perform. The factory spring rates are set up for the mall.

AndrewP

Explorer
Remember that an 80 series Land Cruiser is MUCH LESS money than a 100 series.

If you have the $$ to truly daily drive and commute, the 100 is a better street ride. It has more power, the same fuel economy (ecomony--:shakin: !)) and is a bit more plush.

The 80 is a much better machine, and in the USA got all of the best stuff on Toyota's shelf, like lockers, full float rear, solid front axle, easier to service, etc. It's the last of a long line of Land Cruisers that stretches back to 1957. The 100 is still a Land Cruiser, but it's going in a whole new direction. If you've owned other cruisers before, you'll like the 80 better.

My own current view, is that none of these are daily drivers any more. They simply use too much fuel. Instead, they are vacation/hobby/escape rigs, and with that in mind, the 80 is just more flexable, works better in a variety of terrain, can go more places, doesn't burn premium gas and are cheap to buy and lift. If you think about it, the average 80 series sells for less than a 40 series!

If you plan to use it like a station wagon, the 100 wins, no question. But then a minivan wins if you think about it. If I was buying a 100 though, I'd definitely look for an '03 or better.

They are both great trucks, and worthy of long term relationships, but you need to decide what you want it for, because they are not the same or interchangable.

ginericLC

Adventurer
AndrewP said:
but you need to decide what you want it for, because they are not the same or interchangable.

My thought exactly. I'm whining about missing my 80. I bought the 100 to do more extended expedition trips. We are having a family change that is preventing those trips. So I'm stuck with a truck that won't do my local trails. If you were going to build an expedition truck I'd go 100 all the way. If you want to pound on some rocks and do some expeditions the 80 is better.

However, I love this truck too. It has power which none of my 80s have had. It is quiet, I love the heated seats, it is probably the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned and I've had some nice ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles