80 series spring spacer difficulty

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm having a difficult time getting my coil spacers installed using Slee's instructions for their 2" springs. I thought it would be the same process, but I can't get my axle low enough to re-install the springs with the spacer on top. How are you guys installing longer springs? To get mine out I still had to use a pry bar to help get the spring over the bottom perch.

Any suggestions? I tried using my spring compressors, but they get in the way when trying to get the spring in place. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It is because you do not loosen your control arms and panhard. Your control arms and panhard have encapsulated rubber bushings this is the spongy feel comes from. Anytime the control arm changes it needs to loosen and retorqued. If you do this you will never need a spring compressor or jack.

Box Rocket

Unhook the swaybar, loosen the bolts for the control arms and panhards. It can also help to have an extra person to step on the hub and push the axle down a bit further. Remember when you loosen/tighten the control arm/panhards only turn the side with the washer not the flange. The flange side has "teeth" that bite into the bracket so the bolt doesn't turn. Kinda like a lockwasher or lock nut. If you turn the flange it will ruin those teeth. If you tighten them while on a lift or jackstands it will "set" the bushings full droop and will twist the bushings when it's back at ride height. That will wear the bushings out faster. Only tighten them when you have the truck back on the ground on it's own weight. Tighten the panhards to "hella-tight". :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne