80 series too old for expedition?

Vagabroads

I bought mine 2 years ago with 200K, then had the top end rebuilt, new radiator and a few other odds and ends done for general maintenance. We are now in Costa Rica....Spent the last 17 months driving from the US down here. Our LC has performed flawlessly. I couldn't recommend it more.

www.vagabroads.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arktikos

Explorer
My question is about reliability... you can re-build the drivetrain but it's the wiring gremlins that concern me. I have already dealt with starting issues due to the starter/ignition wiring.

Electrical gremlins? Nah, you're thinking about Land Rovers. Any rig can potentially break down, but these are one of the very least likely to do so. Provided you can afford the whopping gas bill, I say go for it.

BTW, what kind of advice did you expect in a Land Cruiser forum? "Oh no, it's a POS. Buy something newer". LOL.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
Just an update, I ended up having noise coming from the bellhousing area so I investigated and found a stripped torque converter bolt. no room to Helicoil the nut soooo i pulled the tranny. I pulled the drain plug and found about 1/8" of sludge on the magnet. didnt look to be metal, i assume friction plate material.. So anyway I decided to do a rebuild on the transmission.... I couldnt find and Toyota or Aisin rebuild kit for the a442f so I guess I be using whatever the tranny guy gets locally...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
No need to make it the most capable and reliable...it was born that way. 1,000,000 mile engine able to take three full rebuilds within spec and a transmission off a Japanese bus! :1888fbbd:

Only the a440 was referred to as a "bus tranny" but it wasn't literally used in a bus.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Really...hmmm? I hear the a442 refered to as a bus tranny constantly. Neither the a440 or 442 were literally used in buses...facts are fun killers!
"...the FJ62, FJ80, and early FZJ80 Land Cruisers had A440F and A442F automatic transmissions in them which are made by Aisin Seiki. Aisin Seiki coincidentally make most if not all of Toyota's transmissions. The A440F and A442F transmissions are very similar in design/construction to the AW450-43LE transmission that is found in MANY vehicles, which include Isuzu NPR Medium Duty Trucks, Mitsu Fuso Medium Duty Trucks, UD Medium Duty Trucks, Hino Medium Duty Trucks, as well as many other japanese trucks and buses".

Why don't you post a source. Researching on mud, you know the land cruiser site came up with lots of "I've always heard" but never anything factual. No need to get all butt hurt. It's blatantly obvious you're just a fan boy. I like all cruisers. Every generation is just better than the previous.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Post a source for what? I quoted/sourced someone other than me who refers to the 442 as a bus tranny. You want me to audio record someone saying that...who has time for that nonsense? Who's butt hurt about what? What are you talking about? You non-80 owners love looking at 80 threads and throwing out the fan boy comment. I AM AN ULTRA/UBER/MEGA FAN BOY! Why am I supposed to be offended by that? You know where you'll never see me...a 200, 100, 62, 60, or 55 thread! 40s are sweet though...I'll peruse there.

Then your comment about it being a bus tranny is invalid. I'll stand by my statement as per mud. Just like how you claimed the engine in 80s is a million Mile engine. I love 80s and I would love to own one, however I just spent a bunch of money on my 60 so an 80 is down the road. But you are acting a little childish and you being an "ULTRA/UBER/MEGA FAN BOY!" Blinds you to this fact. Hopefully one of these days you'll open your eyes a little bit and see how great ALL Land cruisers are. Have a good day.

REDROVER

Explorer
80 series is just like old Persian rug, the older it gets the more valuable it gets.
I love my fzj80.

Attachments

• 71347221-2F46-43E9-BF27-8619EE1FFAD1.jpg
    71347221-2F46-43E9-BF27-8619EE1FFAD1.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 30
  • AE3495F1-FB27-4E62-A33C-561721069E1B.jpg
    AE3495F1-FB27-4E62-A33C-561721069E1B.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6119.jpg
    IMG_6119.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics