80 series too old for expedition?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Right! Hilarious...
Can't wait till Friday when my new radiator arrives (just replacing as PM...still going strong) so I can get off this computer, onto some trails, and quit messin with the hundy crowd! 23 year old engine right here folks...maintain it and it will do you right! :cool:

2017-03-29%2013.23.49_zpsfbhurq5x.jpg

What radiator did you go with? I have one setting in the corner for when.
Is that some kind of security device screwed to the top of the radiator support?

Upland80

Adventurer
Well...I ordered an all metal CSF 2517 3 row brass. I had it halfway installed and was really unimpressed. The OEM 3 row from 93-94 is way better in quality...heavier too by 4 lbs. I go OEM for mostly everything, but thought I'd try the CSF @$400 (heard good things about them). Couldn't live with it...yanked it out...shipped it back and ordered an OEM...lesson learned! That is a hood lock that is accessible in my cab to make stealing my winch more difficult and helps to deter those who might wanna walk away with my mighty 1FZ-FE! :REExeSquatsHL1:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Well...I ordered an all metal CSF 2517 3 row brass. I had it halfway installed and was really unimpressed. The OEM 3 row from 93-94 is way better in quality...heavier too by 4 lbs. I go OEM for mostly everything, but thought I'd try the CSF @$400 (heard good things about them). Couldn't live with it...yanked it out...shipped it back and ordered an OEM...lesson learned! That is a hood lock that is accessible in my cab to make stealing my winch more difficult and helps to deter those who might wanna walk away with my mighty 1FZ-FE! :REExeSquatsHL1:

Was the old radiator original equipment from '94?

Everyone in AZ runs the Koyo A1918 with the best cooling results but Im having a hard time putting a Made in China product in my cruiser. The Koyo does have a nice attention to detail and quality look about it.

Upland80

Adventurer
Was the old radiator original equipment from '94?

Everyone in AZ runs the Koyo A1918 with the best cooling results but Im having a hard time putting a Made in China product in my cruiser. The Koyo does have a nice attention to detail and quality look about it.

Yep...94 original! Never a cooling problem even in the So. Cal summers. I could not bring myself to put that CSF in there after knowing how well my OEM held up. Granted...my rig only has 122K on it, but that is quite impressive. I also know some favor the 95-97 2 row aluminum, but I am believer in the 3 row brass...it is a tank of a radiator! I paid $400 for it too...no biggie really for a component that important.

Edit for part numbers:
2 Core aluminum radiator (1995-1997):

16400-66081:

3 Core brass radiator:

16400-66040

Upland80

Adventurer
No need to make it the most capable and reliable...it was born that way. 1,000,000 mile engine able to take three full rebuilds within spec and a transmission off a Japanese bus! :1888fbbd:

Dalko43

Explorer
No need to make it the most capable and reliable...it was born that way. 1,000,000 mile engine able to take three full rebuilds within spec and a transmission off a Japanese bus! :1888fbbd:

I highly doubt that the 1FZ-FE is rated for 1 million miles of engine life. When a manufacturer rates at an engine's life, it's basically stating how long it will run until it requires a rebuild. The heavy duty diesels that Toyota and Cummins produce, many of which are used in commercial-grade applications, are only rated to 350k-600k depending on their usage.

The LC 80 is a great vehicle. But when you throw out exaggerations like that, you do come across as a fanboy.

Upland80

Adventurer
I highly doubt that the 1FZ-FE is rated for 1 million miles of engine life. When a manufacturer rates at an engine's life, it's basically stating how long it will run until it requires a rebuild. The heavy duty diesels that Toyota and Cummins produce, many of which are used in commercial-grade applications, are only rated to 350k-600k depending on their usage.

The LC 80 is a great vehicle. But when you throw out exaggerations like that, you do come across as a fanboy.

Right...definitely not without a rebuild of course. you seem quite interested in the 80 series...here's a decent read for you http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80engine.html

According to Merrian-Webster "fanboy" Definition of fanboy
: a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something...yes I am extremely enthusiastic about my 80...best vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned plenty) Tundra, Taco, Jeep, International Scout, 1964 Mustang, on and on...the 80 is tops.

Alternate definition of "Fanboy"- Guy who own a 4-Runner and secretly occupies most of his internet search time on Land Cruiser forums :victory:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Bearings are your limit on any motor electric or ICE. Lubercation and block flex have ultimate say in just how long bearings will last. Its not about age or even engines. Typically it comes down to operational expense, maint, mileage and even modern ammenities etc.

I only kept our 93 LC as long as we did because it was our 3rd vehicle. Not a daily and not even a road trip rig to grandmas house. Camping rig yes, fun occasional mix things up drive around town rig yes.
The big reason we moved on was for modern crash survivability we hauled kids and grandparents in it. Added space was a nice thing. The modern Toyota V8 was a huge upgrade in trip comfort was nice too. I miss the cool LC but I like the modern stuff too.

The is it too old question really only matters to you and parts availability.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Right...definitely not without a rebuild of course. you seem quite interested in the 80 series...here's a decent read for you http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80engine.html

According to Merrian-Webster "fanboy" Definition of fanboy
: a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something...yes I am extremely enthusiastic about my 80...best vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned plenty) Tundra, Taco, Jeep, International Scout, 1964 Mustang, on and on...the 80 is tops.

Alternate definition of "Fanboy"- Guy who own a 4-Runner and secretly occupies most of his internet search time on Land Cruiser forums :victory:

Wow now I can add FanBoy (using Merrian-Webster) to the list of names Im called:wavey:

Truth be known when I was racing SCORE I drove/rode in a jeep:Wow1:

Upland80

Adventurer
Hope you non-80 owners realize I'm just bored and messin around. I like to mix it up a bit...more fun than "hey look at the new tires I got"! Don't worry, I'll still winch you out on the trails :) As it pertains to the OP's original question...I think it has been sufficiently answered that the 80 is absolutely not too old for expo use. Truth is that on more challenging trails, the solid axle/factory locked 80 will shine in comparison to anything else Toyota...It's just a fact. Is it as powerful, comfortable, or come with modern tech?...nope! Just as reliable/if not more though considering the age, mileage, and abuse you see these trucks go through. Can't wait till summer! I'll leave you with a nice vid of the 80 utilizing some winching technique on a hundy with a busted CV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke