814D tyres for winter

Arfur's World

Observer
Hi All,

Hope all of your builds are going well and your journeys are rewarding!

We're taking Arfur off to Poland for Christmas, and I was wondering what tyres people recommend for winter and snow?

Cheers,

Martin

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Martin,

Not got any tyre recommendations, but do you have a set of snow chains? Also a diff lock would be very helpful if you happen to have one built in. How is the wagon, all finished now? Any mods since you finished the bulk of the conversion?

Ullie

Adventurer
We have Hankook DH05, size 9,5 R17.5 on our 4x4 814Vario. Went on 2 skiing trips with plenty of snow last year and they performed very well. Didn't need chains at all in the climb to La Plagne (France), al the cars did need chains. This winter we will be returning at least 2 times to the mountains with these tyres.

jostein

Adventurer
I am running Bridgestone vsx 10R17.5 on my 815DA, these are M+S tires. We have only had a week of snow so far this winter, but they seem to work well.
Dedicated winter tires with a lot of micro sipes and studs would be better ofcourse. Bring at least 3 chains if you expect demanding conditions.

Arfur's World

Observer
Hi Anton

Not got any tyre recommendations, but do you have a set of snow chains? Also a diff lock would be very helpful if you happen to have one built in. How is the wagon, all finished now? Any mods since you finished the bulk of the conversion?

I've got some snow chains, so that's the worst case covered. Arfur is only 2wd. so no diff lock unfortunately. No major changes since the bulk was completed, just the rolling improvements :) getting an Antares ASC installed next week to give me mobile charging. The next major improvement will be working out an overcab bed. Hope all is well with your van.

Arfur's World

Observer
Thanks Ullie, I'll do some research. Arfur is 2wd, so I'm just trying to reduce my risk. I'm concerned my tyres may be the 10 year old factory originals, so just thinking something could be better for the cold/ice/snow that I might encounter.

Arfur's World

Observer
I am running Bridgestone vsx 10R17.5 on my 815DA, these are M+S tires. We have only had a week of snow so far this winter, but they seem to work well.
Dedicated winter tires with a lot of micro sipes and studs would be better ofcourse. Bring at least 3 chains if you expect demanding conditions.

Thanks Jostein, I'll have a check :)

Ullie

Adventurer
Hi Ullie, the site I looked at said the Hankook is a rear tyre, have you used them all round?

Yes, but we have traction on both axles. The tyre shop said they could be used for both axles, even in 2WD, but originally it's a tyre for a traction axle.

Ullie

Adventurer
Hey Ian,

No, I use the big wheels only for trips with dirt roads. For trips with only paved roads, I put the smaller wheels on. The big wheels are a bit to expensive to wear them off on paved roads.
Also the snow chains I have do not fit on the big wheels. So for winter sport, I leave the smaller wheels.

Best regards,

Ulrich

Arfur's World

Observer
I've placed an order for Goodyear RHS II+ for the fronts and RHD II+ for the rears. Goodyear confirmed that the fronts are now also M&S rated, if manufactured since June this year. I have to hope I've got recent stock, as the supplier couldn't confirm >.< fingers crossed!

Arfur's World

Observer
I'll see what the Polish trip throws at me on All Seasons for this year ...
So my RHSII+ arrived and they were also M+S marked, which was awesome. Got them fitted at the second attempt, first guy didn't realise truck wheels only go one way for tyre fitting. But I couldn't get my fronts balanced as the centres were too large for their machines. Soooooo .... we set off to Poland with unbalanced fronts but there is not too much in the way of wobble. 3,500km later and I could live with it, but I will get them done for peace of mind. I'll also get the tracking checked.

And how did the tyres perform in Poland? I hear you ask .... Absolutely perfectly, because we didn't see a single flake of snow :( maybe next year .......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles