89 Toyota Pickup - Cali -> Alaska -> Cali

osi4

Greetings. I'm planning to drive, mostly solo, from California to Alaska and back this summer. I want to get off the beaten path where I can, but don't plan to do any high-risk off-roading. I've been searching for a vehicle for this task, and have primarily been looking at new or new-ish vehicles for reliability and comfort; however, I've been offered an '89 Toyota Pickup that has been in the family since new--single owner, 135k miles. I know basic vehicle mechanics, but I'm probably less skilled and knowledgable than many on this forum.

I know these trucks have a reputation for being reliable; however, it is the 3.0 v6 which is potentially more of a concern. As budget isn't necessarily a concern of mine, would you advise for or against this older truck? Other than the usual wear-and-tear items, and the head-gasket, should I be wary of any other issues for this model/year?

And finally, anyone know a good independent shop in Salt Lake City to go through the truck?

Thanks in advance.

-Travis

rickashay

Explorer
Swap in a 3.4L 5VZ-FE before you go and you'll never look back! The old pickups are great, just make sure its baselined before you go.

Check out where Richard and Ash have taken theirs, nuff' said: http://desktoglory.com/

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
That's the perfect truck for the trip you are suggesting. Make sure the Timing belt and water pump have been changed and you should be good to go. Even though your motor was known for its head gasket issues, I have had friends get 250,000 miles and more on them before they ever had a problem.
Finding a shop to give it a good look over is probably a good idea. But buy yourself a Chilton or Haynes repair manual and take along a set of tools and just go! If you are overly concerned about braking down. Get a AAA membership. I don't think you have anything to worry about though.
Hit the road and go see some stuff!!!!!!!

Last edited:

taugust

Adventurer
I had that same model and year. As said above, get it checked out thoroughly and do the wear items and go. Get the Haynes manual. I never had head gasket issues, but the valve cover gaskets would seep. Nothing major. I had mine rebuilt at 188k but it wasn't urgent. I ended up selling it with almost 400k on the ticker. Excellent truck.

Sent from my K007 using Tapatalk

osi4

Thanks for the replies. I'll be honest, if Toyota made a manual access-cab off-road this year it would probably be in my garage already. That said, I've been wanting to "inherit" this 89 for a really long time. :)

I know they had the head-gasket trouble, which was addressed. Timing belt and water pump were done at 120k, so I should be okay there. It has new shocks, but needs new tires. Has the 31" tire package, so I need to figure out what that means for gearing. Original clutch and it works just fine, and there's a matching shell for the bed.

I found this page on Yotatech, which seems to have some good recommendations.

The 3.4 swap is interesting. I didn't realize how common, or straight-forward, it is for these trucks until it was posted here. That said, I'm concerned about available time (summer is around the corner) and shop resources (limited space and tools) to accomplish a swap, and get everything in harmony and tested before a departure.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I would have to agree with the posters above. It sounds like a solid truck. I often miss my recently traded 01 for the size but I like my 06 for the size as well. The 01 was easy to park and bump around off road, the 06 is noticeably bigger and less "agile". If I were always by myself, the 01 would still be in the driveway. When I need to transport 2 dogs and another human, the math didn't work out.

The 89 sounds like the perfect truck for your adventure. Price is right and leaves plenty of room in the budget for some refreshing of hoses or belts if they are questionable.

The last thing I'll say, drive the 89 around if you can and then hop in a "newer" 05+ Tacoma and you'll feel the size difference. If you are fine with the 89 size wise, perfect. I'm not sure I could go back now.

Cheers,
Jorge

taugust

Adventurer
That Yotatech post is spot on, although I didn't experience a lot of of those. In reading it, one thing came to mind. If you plan to wheel it hard, I suggest trying to find an idler arm truss. I bent the shaft on mine and it was expensive to replace. I bought one from Northwest Off-road in WA.

Sent from my K007 using Tapatalk

osi4

If I were you, I would get that truck, buy some new AT tires, get in the slow lane, and smile all the way to Alaska.

I'm smiling already. :)

The last thing I'll say, drive the 89 around if you can and then hop in a "newer" 05+ Tacoma and you'll feel the size difference. If you are fine with the 89 size wise, perfect. I'm not sure I could go back now.

I don't mind the cab size, but the depth of the bed and cab-height shell has me leaning towards a RTT as my primary sleeping quarters. Hopefully preserve the option of retreating to the bed in poor weather.

That Yotatech post is spot on, although I didn't experience a lot of of those. In reading it, one thing came to mind. If you plan to wheel it hard, I suggest trying to find an idler arm truss. I bent the shaft on mine and it was expensive to replace. I bought one from Northwest Off-road in WA.

As a solo traveler, I don't intend to go looking for trouble. That said, I do expect that I'll find some backroads that'll require some care. What size tires and lift did you have on yours?

taugust

Adventurer
As a solo traveler, I don't intend to go looking for trouble. That said, I do expect that I'll find some backroads that'll require some care. What size tires and lift did you have on yours?

If you don't plan to wheel it hard, forget about the truss.

I had no lift and 31" tires. Factory were smaller and I had 4.10 gears. Not sure what factory gears came with the 31's, although it should be easy to find out with a search.

osi4

If you don't plan to wheel it hard, forget about the truss.

I had no lift and 31" tires. Factory were smaller and I had 4.10 gears. Not sure what factory gears came with the 31's, although it should be easy to find out with a search.

Thanks. Looks like it has the 4.556.

Thoryota

Observer
The V6 5spd trucks came with 4.56 gears with the "big tire package". I have been running 32x11.50's on 4.30 gears for the last year. Its really not that bad till you try to go up a hill in 5th gear. It just does not happen. I did however score a complete V6 rear end and front differential with 4.56 gear for two hundred dollars. They are waiting to get swapped under the truck someday.

I would not be afraid to drive that truck across country. These trucks have a track record of being bulletproof. I have seen a 3.0 with 450,000 miles on it. Mine went 253,000 miles (22re) before having to do any real maintenance. This was only because the plastic timing chain guides failed. If it wasn't for that I would still be driving right now instead of replacing everything that is wore out. As for the idler arm get a brace for it like others have mentioned. It is the weak link in the front end on these trucks. I hit a stump and broke mine a few years back. Didn't even hit it hard. Might of been going 10 mph. A trip to autozone replaced it with the FA5040 unit. Also a good quality steering stabilizer makes a world of difference on these trucks. Especially if rough road are going to be encountered. I replaced mine with the Old Man Emu steering stabilizer and it is awesome. The thing is twice the diameter of the stock one.

osi4

The V6 5spd trucks came with 4.56 gears with the "big tire package". I have been running 32x11.50's on 4.30 gears for the last year. Its really not that bad till you try to go up a hill in 5th gear. It just does not happen. I did however score a complete V6 rear end and front differential with 4.56 gear for two hundred dollars. They are waiting to get swapped under the truck someday.

I would not be afraid to drive that truck across country. These trucks have a track record of being bulletproof. I have seen a 3.0 with 450,000 miles on it. Mine went 253,000 miles (22re) before having to do any real maintenance. This was only because the plastic timing chain guides failed. If it wasn't for that I would still be driving right now instead of replacing everything that is wore out. As for the idler arm get a brace for it like others have mentioned. It is the weak link in the front end on these trucks. I hit a stump and broke mine a few years back. Didn't even hit it hard. Might of been going 10 mph. A trip to autozone replaced it with the FA5040 unit. Also a good quality steering stabilizer makes a world of difference on these trucks. Especially if rough road are going to be encountered. I replaced mine with the Old Man Emu steering stabilizer and it is awesome. The thing is twice the diameter of the stock one.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at AT tires at the factory 31x10.5 size, but I have considered jumping to a tall(er) tire. I'll definitely pursue the truss and steering stabilizer if I do. Looks I should have the gears for it.. hopefully the engine is still producing the power. I'll take it for a long drive this weekend (it hasn't driven more than a few miles for a long time), and start looking under the covers.

For info, the idler arm truss I bought is on this page:

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/steering_components.php

Thanks!

toastyjosh

Adventurer
BFG makes a 33X10.50 in the AT or MT. You want the strongest tire you can get. Like everyone said the trucks are super strong. Check for leaks, check the valve cover gaskets very common for leaking. Clean the throttle body and egr. Check for vacume leaks. change the oil, trans fluid, xfercase, diffs,coolent and go for it.
There are some easy power mods for the 3.0s. The ISR mod( check yotatech), exhaust, throttle body porting, supra AFM mod.
Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier