8k-9.5k winch best bang 4 buck???

hovenator

Explorer
I love Warn winches! My point was, that there are other quality winch companies besides Warn.....They are not all Chinese made junk.

I have actually been looking hard at both the M8000 and VR8.

Box Rocket

Flattered that my truck was used in this ComeUp ad, but this is an awesome 'bang for the buck' option. "Naked" version of a top tier winch without winch rope or fairlead makes the price very reasonable and you can add your own rope (or reuse one you already have) and get that fancy Factor55 fairlead you want anyway. Pretty cool idea from ComeUp to offer these this way.

http://shop.comeupusa.com/p/seal-gen2-9-5n-naked-winch?pp=12

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That's not bad on that Warn.....
What's stopping you? You have seen every choice imaginable. Warn is probably the only winch that increases value of a vehicle. The rest just prove you are cheap and probably half azzed the rest of the mods then beat the truck.
Btw the $299 harbor freight winches are great. I had the 10,000 on a 79 F350 and it worked fine. Same factory makes 3/4th of the cheap winches you are looking at like Smitty and mile marker anyway. What are you going to mount it too? Do you have a bumper yet?

hovenator

Explorer
Yes I do. It's a "hidden" (used loosely) winch bumper from WAM! Bumpers. Waiting to install it until I purchase said winch.

These are not my truck, but same winch bumper.

Box Rocket... That is a Bada$$ truck you have! I have thought of that option too. ComeUp pm'd me and they told me that the GS9 winch from Viking is actually made by them and so are the Superwinch EP9 winches. They are based on their DV-9 winch. Plus, if you look at all the Arctic Trucks vehicles, they have a ComeUp or Superwinch on them. If they can go to those extremes and be reliable and survive, they must be pretty good winches.......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

hovenator

Explorer
I'm purchasing the winch this weekend. Final thoughts from anyone and everyone. Do I get the Superwinch Talon 9.5 ($621 on sale) or do I get the Superwinch Tiger Shark ($349-499) and save some money for extra recovery gear, etc.? Is there that drastic of a difference?

hovenator

Explorer
Having a change of heart. I've decided to get a "premium winch" instead. I was going to get the SW Talon, but after measuring, it may barely squeak in the bumper. I just don't want to take the chance of it not fitting. I am now in the camp of these 2 winches. Other than rated pull, they seem to both be high quality units. As I am no hardcore off-roader, I need a winch that will work when I ask it to, but may sit idle for some time until called upon. Thus, the want/need for a better winch.

1. ComeUp Seal gen.2 9.5

2. Warn M8000

downhill

Adventurer
12 months and 69 posts later, close, but no cigar :coffeedrink:

Any winch is reliable if you go through it when it is new, and regularly maintain it. There is no winch I would trust out of the box, regardless of price or pedigree.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Some years ago there was an old Brit on the board here... don't recall his name but he had clearly spent a lot of time in a land rover in the bush. He said the M8000 was one of the best things Warn ever did. You can't beat that voice of experience, especially since this was my first winch so I didn't have any, so I bought one. At the time I got it from the jungle for under $500 shipped (Warn was running a rebate). They are closer to $600 now, but with a rebate I still think they are a pretty good deal.

hovenator

Explorer
Viking GS-9 on the way! Same winch as the Superwinch EP 9.0 and the ComeUp DV9. It's actually produced by ComeUp. Got it for a steal and can't wait to get it installed. Thank you for everyone's input! This winch turned out to be my "best bang for the buck" winch.

hovenator

Explorer
Ok, here's a teaser pic of the goods. Install hopefully this weekend.....

Sorry it's upside down. Don't know how that happened!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles