'92 SWB Pajero the RALLI////TRACTOR

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I sorta can't believe I didn't start a thread for this!

Back in February, '18, we flew to Houston, TX and bought a 1992 SWB 2.5TD Pajero. It's got the trusty 4D56T, a 5MT, and Super Select 4WD (obviously).

27982608_10156837194037289_2179679571982555604_o.jpg
When we picked it up, it was on some 15x8 Pro Comp wheels and dry-rotting BFGoodrich All-Terrains. It drove flawlessly back to Portland, OR over a couple of days.

This is the night after we picked it up. As you can see, it's got a bull bar, big yellow IPF lights, high-quality Ralliart decals (+10 hp), and some faded paint on the doors.

20180405_180627_HDR.jpg

Upon bringing it back to Portland, we added 33x10.50 BFGoodrich KM2s and mounted them on the other set of wheels that came with the Paj, some 15x7 (-9) wheels that I believe were from Autobacs in Japan (there's a little label with the Autobacs on them). We also did a fair bit of cleaning to it, as it was filthy on the outside. The interior, however, is minty mint.

Pajero_In_Snow.JPG
Next up: I threw as set of Montero rear springs in and gained about an inch of lift in the rear. I also cranked up the torsion bars to match and got an alignment. Off to the hills for a snow run!

20180424_072500_HDR.jpg
As you may have noticed, I also replaced the standard headlights (which had a very janky HID kit in the factory housings) with JW Speaker LEDs. I needed to modify the buckets a little bit and buy a harness with relays, but they work great and offer up a much better driving experience at night.

The latest addition was a Curt trailer hitch, which I just wired up. No pics of that; I'll let you imagine it's shocking beauty.

I have ordered up an ARB Pajero bumper, which is on its way to me via slow boat from down under. Once that arrives, I'll toss a WARN winch in the bumper. If my ZEON 8-S will fit, I'll use that. If not, It'll likely be an XD9 or 9.5xp instead. We're also planning to add a BajaRack roof rack, Bomber Product's new MAXTRAX holders to the rear spare, a set of new shocks (not sure which ones yet) as the electronically adjustable ones are starting to leak, and some new window tint as ours is torn.

The intercooled 4D56 is much livelier than than the non-intercooled version in our Delica, by the way. Whereas the shifter in the Delica is notchy and, frankly, bad, the shifter in the Pajero is very good and precise. It does have long throws, but it's a truck, right? Timing belt, tensioners, and new fluids this week.

More updates as they progress.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Got a chance to actually venture off the pavement for the day recently. The Pajero did great. In addition, my wife is doing the Rebelle Rally, and she's been getting some seat time at the dunes.

I have been noticing some clicking from the rear suspension at full articulation. Sounds like a metal on metal click. Not sure if its the suspension bottoming out, or if it's the sway bar. thought it might be the mudflaps, but I am leaning away from that idea.

Attachments

• 20180616_115204_HDR.jpg
    20180616_115204_HDR.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 36801686_10156525329629851_6323161779291553792_o.jpg
    36801686_10156525329629851_6323161779291553792_o.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 26

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I have been noticing some clicking from the rear suspension at full articulation. Sounds like a metal on metal click. Not sure if its the suspension bottoming out, or if it's the sway bar. thought it might be the mudflaps, but I am leaning away from that idea.

Sometimes clicking is broken coil buckets, check near the welds of the coil buckets and trailing arm brackets. You may need to clean them up depending on rust, mud or oil on those areas to inspect.

Doing_Dirt

They're out there! I know of a couple of them for sale, one of which is from the importer in Houston I got mine from.
When I get a few coins saved up, I will definitely PM you for that info.
Perfect father/son project ride for High School.
We have a few years to go...

Thanks for sharing!

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
pajerobumperlights.JPG

A couple other additions to the rig: ARB Pajero bumper and Lightforce Genesis lamps. Also added a WARN M8-S winch. Had to get a custom fairlead from Custom Splice for the bumper and create a new bracket for the control box. I'm going to redo the bracket as I don't like the way it leans forward.

Servingko

Based on your last picture it looks like you went with the Bilstein 5100 series. Is that correct? If so, how do you like them? I am running them on my SWB diesel as well. They are growing on me......

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Based on your last picture it looks like you went with the Bilstein 5100 series. Is that correct? If so, how do you like them? I am running them on my SWB diesel as well. They are growing on me......

No, I actually went with the Rancho RS9000 XL. And so far, I really like them. I have them set on a fairly soft setting right now and they ride great. In fact, I have another set coming since, well, I bought another one.

47319251_593824921040100_1890432372185235456_n-644x338.jpg

http://crankshaftculture.com/2018/1...ZIXQpOq5IqVaB8bTvu7QZmi3Bq8PdAtW4IGZ6_oNWF1JI

89raider21

Don"t know if you solved the rear clicking problem. I have owned an 89 model for about 12 years . it developed the same symptoms as yours. solution: drain rear differential. put in 1 tube of Trans-X limited slip differential additive refill with correct oil. Problem solved.
Got a chance to actually venture off the pavement for the day recently. The Pajero did great. In addition, my wife is doing the Rebelle Rally, and she's been getting some seat time at the dunes.

JamesW

Adventurer
Mine was doing the clicks while articulating, it was the bolt holes in the rear axle for the radius arms had gone a bit oval and it was moving. The swbs also have a rzeppa joint in the rear prop so it may be worth looking to see is that worn out

I like the look of the swbs without the arch cladding, and it looks like your new one is fairly well looked after

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Mine was doing the clicks while articulating, it was the bolt holes in the rear axle for the radius arms had gone a bit oval and it was moving. The swbs also have a rzeppa joint in the rear prop so it may be worth looking to see is that worn out

I like the look of the swbs without the arch cladding, and it looks like your new one is fairly well looked after

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

No kidding? I'll have a look at that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles