94 montero sr no brakes

Bmp1

Got a 94 montero sr with no to little to no brakes. I just bought it, the previous owner just said that they stopped working. The abs light had been on for a while. I filled with brake fluid and did get very small amount of braking. I have been all under the vehicle and found no leaks. No leaks around the master cylinder. I did notice what looks to be like a leak from the bottom of the abs modular (on the passenger side front fender well). Can they be rebuilt, common gasket leak? something loose? replace? Throw away no more abs? Any suggestions? Thanks

Bmp1

I'm new to montero's. That is what I'm looking for is tendencies. I can't see under the abs pump so I guess I need to pull it. Any tips for pulling or inspection?

plh

Explorer
Never heard of failure before. I would look toward a leaky old brake line or something. Probably nothing complex.

agree with MFSR. Look for a leak (all the lines - hard and rubber), then do a brake system bleed to remove air, if still poor - none, master cylinder. I've been around Monteros and their forums for a long time and have never heard of a faulty or leaking Gen 2 ABS unit. Anything is possible thou. Any rust on the under body? Where has this truck spent most of its life?

Bmp1

agree with MFSR. Look for a leak (all the lines - hard and rubber), then do a brake system bleed to remove air, if still poor - none, master cylinder. I've been around Monteros and their forums for a long time and have never heard of a faulty or leaking Gen 2 ABS unit. Anything is possible thou. Any rust on the under body? Where has this truck spent most of its life?

It was originally from Massachusetts and has some rust on the frame. Under the hood and the body is clean, strangest thing ive ever seen. Almost like someone swap a different frame under it. I filled with brake fluid and pumped brakes for a good bit. Inspected under vehicle and found nothing. it sat in the same spot for several days and I inspected it again. Found nothing wet or were it had dripped on the floor. The fender well is wet under the abs pump on passenger side. I'm going to loosen it and see if i can get a look under it without disconnecting the brake lines.

Bmp1

I took the the abs mod loose. It weeping out the bottom. But I'm not convince that I don't have a booster issue. With the vehicle off I can pump the brakes with no pressure build up.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
If you had a leak bad enough that you couldn't build pressure, you wouldn't have a hard time finding it somewhere. I'd follow every brake line front to back and each caliper looking for wet spots. If you don't find anything, I'd bleed the system, check it, then after that look harder at the master cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior