95 LS Radiator Hose/AC Compressor Problems

MrJeebs

2nd post here, great site with lots of great info. Thank you!

On to my issue... The AC compressor seized up in my Monty, so I had it replaced. The tech who did the work didn't take the rad out to replace the condenser, he just unbolted the bottom and pulled it back, which put pressure on the lower elbow on the rad and caused it to start leaking. So, I made them replace the rad as well.

Now there is an issue with the compressor cutting chunks out of the lower rad hose. There is almost no clearance between the 2, maybe 3 or 4 mm, which disappears when the system gets up to temp.

So my questions are: would there be a lot of difference between a non oem and oem lower rad hose, sufficiently so as to have more clearance between the compressor and the hose?

I did ask the shop for the part number of the rad they put in, and he said it was 43-1387. I can not any reference between this number and a mitsu rad number. So I can't tell if it is the correct rad for my truck.

Also, does anyone know of any good techs in the golden triangle area of TX, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Lumberton who know how to work on these trucks? I have had very bad luck thus far in the area. Or alternatively, is there anyone here living near the area who knows how to work on them and would be willing to help me? For suitable compensation, of course!

TIA for any and all suggestions/advice!

MJ

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most of us do our own repairs to avoid issues with shops, there is a thread above with all of the part numbers listed.

TheMole

Adventurer
I had something similar when I replaced my oem radiator with an aftermarket CSF radiator. I caught it when I noticed the coolant in my overflow tank started getting low after a few months of driving. I tried both new oem and aftermarket gates hoses and it still touched so it's not the hose. I think it's the bad design of these aftermarket radiators. From what I remember the aftermarket elbow is 90 degrees whereas the oem is a little bit less than 90 so it pulls the hose away from the compressor pulley. I ghetto fixed it zip tying the hose so that it's pulled a bit towards the front of the car. I also cut a piece of old radiator hose and placed it where the zip tie is for support. I check the hose from time to time and haven't had an issue since.

MrJeebs

Unfortunately, I lack both the knowledge and facilities to do my own repairs. The part numbers are not an issue, I have ASA installed.

Thank you for your feedback, Mole. I was hoping an oem hose would fix it. But I think you are right, the elbow is at 90 degrees. I wonder if there is a place to order the correct elbow from. As I saw it, I have nowhere to zip tie a hose to, as the fan shroud protrudes and pushes on the hose.

What a swell predicament. A new radiator that doesn't fit correctly. Brilliant.

Just another example of the luck I have had with tech/shops in this area.

TheMole

Adventurer
I think the oem also has a shorter elbow that protrudes from the radiator. I had to chain 2 long zip ties to a random hole in the engine compartment. I'll try to take a pic for you after work tomorrow.

RyanY

Adventurer
The biggest problem is that your new radiator is poor quality when compared to the original radiator. The shop that did the work cheaped out and installed an aftermarket radiator. If you can do it, get your original one back and get it repaired rather than deal with an aftermarket part that doesn't fit properly and generally won't cool as well either.

MrJeebs

Thank you, Mole, I would appreciate that very much!

Ryany, I had to replace the original radiator several years ago. And not being aware of the fact that even Mitsu had gone to plastic and aluminum at the time, I did not keep my original. I feel ill every time I think about it now.

I do have an original copper rad from a 94 SR though. Any idea as to whether the recoring could make it fit my LS? ASA give different part numbers for the 2, any idea what is different between them?

TheMole

Adventurer
Here's a pic of how I ziptied it. Wrapped a metal zip tie with a rubber sleeve around the hose and then chained a plastic zip tie to the chassis.

IMG_20160808_232538.jpg

MrJeebs

So I had a good look at the old SR rad lower elbow, and the new replacement rad. The neck where the elbow is attached to the sr rad is much shorter than the neck on the new rad. At least 3/4 shorter. The angle of the elbow appears to be roughly the same. I am thinking of getting the SR rad re cored, but I was hoping someone could tell me what the difference is between the LS and SR rad? ASA lists 2 different part numbers, so something must be different. Anyone got an idea what it might be? I'm hoping to be able to have the old SR rad built back to LS specs.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Aftermarket radiators cause these problems as well as crooked bodies after installing a body lift without squaring up the body. Also i suggest fixing the problem properly, I know a guy who lost some head gaskets after a zip tied lower radiator hose didn't work out as he'd hoped.

MrJeebs

Aftermarket radiators cause these problems as well as crooked bodies after installing a body lift without squaring up the body. Also i suggest fixing the problem properly, I know a guy who lost some head gaskets after a zip tied lower radiator hose didn't work out as he'd hoped.

As I said in my last post, I am looking to get my old SR rad re cored as it has the correct neck size on the lower elbow. I asked if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the 95 SR and LS rads, as ASA lists 2 different part numbers. My plan is to have the SR rad re cored to LS specs, but no one seems to know what the difference is...

Spending the $600 + for a rad from Mitsu when it too, is now a plastic and aluminum part, is just not feasible.

MrJeebs

Checkout the dimensions of the spectra radiators from rockauto. The SR looks to be taller and wider than the LS model so your oem SR radiator probably won't work.

SR - SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT CU2072
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271751&cc=1207842&jsn=326

LS - SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT CU2071
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271750&cc=1207831&jsn=356

Thank you so much, Mole! This is exactly the info I needed! I will endeavor to check Rock Auto for info in the future! A great resource! Thanks again! I really appreciate it! :)

RyanY

Adventurer
While that's possibly something to go on, keep in mind that those are not OEM radiators. The difference between the SR & LS models is a 3.5 vs. a 3.0 V6, so the primary difference is very likely in the cooling capacity. Both radiators would have to fit in the same location on the vehicle so the outer dimensions would likely be the same between the two. I don't know where the hose outlets are for the 3.0 but that could be a difference as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94