950 Super Enduro video.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I love those bikes! I was looking at them when they first came out. Thought they would make a sweet dual sport. But there wasnt much as far as luggage or bigger tanks for them. Dont know if thats changed, but if it has, Id seriously consider one!

950r.jpg

Octamog

Observer
Colorado Ron said:
I love those bikes! I was looking at them when they first came out. Thought they would make a sweet dual sport. But there wasn't much as far as luggage or bigger tanks for them. Don't know if thats changed, but if it has, Id seriously consider one!

A 950SE with more fuel and luggage??? Sounds like (the original)... the 950 Adventure!

Here's mine (well, my first one, since replaced) on the road to Batopilas in Copper Canyon. This was over 2 months into a 8000 mile circumnavigation of Mexico :costumed-smiley-007, and I was over packed! I just don't get seeing bikes packed with so much stuff, they look like they are moving all their worldly possessions! :confused:

16018483-L.jpg

Colorado Ron

Explorer
ok now you really got me thinking. Been a while since I looked at the specs. Im surprised its 105hp! Has anyone ridden both this bike and the adventure?? Id really like to hear about both in a side by side comparison.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The 950SE is SWEET!!! There are a few on the road/trail around here in San Diego and I always have to wipe the drool off my helmet after they ride by.

Octamog said:
This was over 2 months into a 8000 mile circumnavigation of Mexico :costumed-smiley-007, and I was over packed! I just don't get seeing bikes packed with so much stuff, they look like they are moving all their worldly possessions! :confused:
I'd love to know your secret. I'm an avid motorcycle camper and amazed you fit everything you need in those 3 cases. I'm also impressed that you don't need a tank bag. My typical trip is 2-3 weeks. My sleeping bag, 2-man tent, food, water, clothes, spare fuel. etc. take up more space than your setup. That's only for 2-3 weeks... you're out for 2+ months? Camping every night? I'm impressed!

Also, one of my only dislikes about my 950ADV was the limited range on a tank of gas. Do you carry extra fuel? How much? There are a number of places in the Western U.S. where the 950 requires careful fuel planning (HWY 50, for instance). 8000 miles around Mexico must've been challenging. Any issues with fuel?

Octamog

Observer
HMR said:
I'd love to know your secret. I'm an avid motorcycle camper and amazed you fit everything you need in those 3 cases. I'm also impressed that you don't need a tank bag. My typical trip is 2-3 weeks. My sleeping bag, 2-man tent, food, water, clothes, spare fuel. etc. take up more space than your setup. That's only for 2-3 weeks... you're out for 2+ months? Camping every night? I'm impressed!

Also, one of my only dislikes about my 950ADV was the limited range on a tank of gas. Do you carry extra fuel? How much? There are a number of places in the Western U.S. where the 950 requires careful fuel planning (HWY 50, for instance). 8000 miles around Mexico must've been challenging. Any issues with fuel?

I camped, but not every night! I usually stayed in a Hotels if available (the rates are cheap enough and a *possible* warm shower are worth the cost!

The secrets to packing are a very lightweight tent and sleeping bag (it was a bit cold in Parque National de Constitucion, BCN in late December -- below freezing!) and also, I packed clothes in plastic bags that are like a ziploc but have a one-way valve to expel air. They make your clothes look freeze dried -- and save a ton of space. Also lightweight tool choice (like aluminum tire spoons that double as axle wrenches). Think long and hard about what you might really need. You'll be surprised with what you can do without! I had mostly tools, spares and oil in the rear Pelican case, and everything else in the Jesse bags (they really suck up a lot of gear!). Initially, I had everything packed away, but after a couple of days, I found it much easier to pack if I strapped the tent to the seat in front of the Pelican case.

Another thing is the choice of clothes! Some clothes (like blue jeans) just don't pack down well and get dirty (or look dirty) quick. I had quite a bit of clothes I bought from a Mountain Hardware factory sale, and others on the trip commented - "How come you always look so clean?".

Gas was never a problem... the rule is, if you have less than half a tank, if you see gas, stop and fill up. Don't assume that gas is available ahead.

I made it all the way to the state of Chiapas, literally just across the border from Guatemala at Lagunas de Montebello. The rear tire was the only issue... it was brand new at the start of the trip, and nearly bald for the last couple of days (including Copper Canyon), and I made arrangements to get a new rear tire on the way home in Tucson, Arizona. It definitely wouldn't have made it home to the Bay Area (at least safely).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior