97 Chevy Express Quigley 4x4, semi-camperized, $SOLD

Chuckles!

Observer
IMGP7404.JPG

***SOLD***

Quick background on my van: bought it 1 year ago from electricians, rebuilt the motor, built the interior, and took it on a 30,000 mile circle of North America. From Alaska to Cancun, it never let me down. But I've decided to build a larger 2WD rig + motorcycle, so "Vanna White" is up for sale.

Quigley didn't do many Chevys, the Express 4x4 has tidy dimensions and nice approach/departure angles. New owner can go mild or wild with the tires. Interior is easy to change or use it as-is. Would make a great Baja van, take it right back into Mexico!

IMGP8518.JPG

1997 Chevrolet Express 2500, former electrical work van

188000 miles

Vortec 350 V8, 4L80E transmission, 14-bolt rear end

Flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter, 5000/10000-lb trailer hitch, brake controller, CB antenna, orange strobe party light!

Quigley 4x4 factory conversion: Borg Warner transfer case (<30k miles), Dana 44 front (driver side diff), manual locking hubs, leaf springs

Engine rebuild @ 157k: oil pump, water pump, freshened cylinder heads, head gaskets, distributor, plugs, wires, radiator, thermostat, gaskets, hoses, transmission filter kit, fluids

Also done: new headlights, bumpers/grilles/wheels flat black, new antenna, steering stabilizer, JVC front speakers, '11 battery

Camper stuff: Storage (4 bins and under platform), sleeping platform, sink, slat expansion bed, 60 liter Norcold Tek II 12V/120V compressor fridge/freezer, '11 marine house batt, large Mombasa RTT with ladder extension, Cross Trend quad bar 1200-lb roof rack, Dometic 10' bag awning (new in box)

Walmart: cig lighter inverter, Coleman 2-burner camp stove, 7-gal water jug, 5-gal fuel jug, camp chairs, sunshades, 12V fan, emergency toilet, mesh door screens, bungees

Worn: tires, front leaf spring bushings, transfer case bearings, A/C leaked out, RTT cover

Cosmetic: cracked windshield, some paint chips, scrape from yellow Mexican cabbie, driver seat tear, headliner sagging

Link to more pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/bswhelchel/VannaWhite#

Located in Knoxville, TN. First $6000 gets it! Thanks

***SOLD***

IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited:

DavidG

Adventurer
All, I had the pleasure of meeting Brad last year when he purchased my RTT. He's an interesting and friendly guy that, without fanfare, just gets on with it. This quote from above sums it up:

"...bought it 1 year ago from electricians, rebuilt the motor, built the interior, and took it on a 30,000 mile circle of North America. From Alaska to Cancun, it never let me down."

30k miles around North America! Awesome.

Good luck with the sale, Brad. I'm sure it will make a great rig for the next person!

Chuckles!

Observer
Thanks David, yes this van is sporting his Mombasa, and it is roomy and luxurious camping on top of the world. A bit tough to reach for shorter people, but completely worth it over sleeping in the dirt :p

Flagster, don't tempt me with a cross-country delivery trip to AZ! I have a mountain bike prepped for the Great Divide route, I could just pedal out of there and into the Rocky Mountains this summer.

Telcobilly, just sent you a reply.

To All:

Just changed the oil, cleaned the K&N filter, and found that the front suspension squeak is not the front shocks, but the leaf spring mounts. So it would need a couple bushings from Quigley instead of new front shocks.

MPG has ranged from 11 in high-altitude Rocky Mountain roads, to 15 on Mexican 'highways' at a constant 50mph.

VA/NC/TN car its whole life. Only minor surface rust on some undercarriage components, no flaky stuff or frame rust.

Anything else, just ask! Thanks

Funny, i just stumbled across this ad. I have been trying to contact you thru craigslist for the past couple of days. I couldnt get in touch with you, there is no phone number. I live in cookeville and am very interested in the van. PM me your phone number and i will get in touch with you stat.

haven

Expedition Leader
Chuckles!, thanks for posting this vehicle on ExPo.

If you're willing, please start a new thread to tell us about your plans for a new truck, including why Vanna White and a RTT won't do for your next adventures.

Chuckles!

Observer
Thanks haven, I'll be doing a build thread on the new truck when it is forum-worthy. Right now it's just the chassis cab that we're chopping up in preparation for the cabin build.

Weekend bump!

Chuckles!, thanks for posting this vehicle on ExPo.

If you're willing, please start a new thread to tell us about your plans for a new truck, including why Vanna White and a RTT won't do for your next adventures.

MTDewX8

Observer
what is a 14 bolt rear end? front is a Dana 44, but curious what the rear is?

and it being a driver side diff. does it mean something more than its just on the drivers side? better or something?

what are the gear ratio's

Chuckles!

Observer
what is a 14 bolt rear end? front is a Dana 44, but curious what the rear is?

and it being a driver side diff. does it mean something more than its just on the drivers side? better or something?

what are the gear ratio's

A 14-bolt is the Chevy/GM stock rear end for big trucks/vans. Also known as the 10.5" rear. Here's a ton of information I found about them:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

Normally, Chevy does their 4x4's with a passenger-side differential, so this one is more similar to the Ford/Dodge layout. Nothing stronger or weaker, just different. I assume that this came from Quigley using a majority of Ford parts for their conversions.

I'm not sure on the gear ratios, I would guess 3.73 or 4.10.

Still for sale, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles