97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
A quick trip to the jobber and I easily replaced the dead starter relay/solenoid. They’re easy to get and likely in stock at every auto parts store for 15-20$

Now, please swallow your coffee and put it down beforehand reading further. :D

Something most people don’t realize is how big the side compartment is. I usually carry a pole with a hook on the end to pull things out with. We’re camping and I left it behind. A friend left a piece of her propane stove behind, so we had to pull out mine. A video would have captured the moment better, but you’ll just have to imagine the legs swinging around as she shimmied in...
5FAD8105-37AA-420E-8E77-79DA04704445.jpeg
She’s 5’+ and there’s another +/- 3’ in front of her.

My ideal plan is to build a drawer, using two full extension glides, that’ll house a table, camp stove, BBQ, kitchen ‘sink’ and other camping gear. That way I can pull it out, fold down the table, and set up the Outdoor kitchen in under a minute. For now it’s a convenient place to store it so I don’t have to pack it before heading out

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Apparently I’d started a separate thread.

Why:

Symptoms Treatment:

iggi

Ian
Do you need more pics of the limiting straps in mine? Not sure if they were installed by Ford or Crestline.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Do you need more pics of the limiting straps in mine? Not sure if they were installed by Ford or Crestline.
Should have enough Pictures. Seem to be standard ambulance equipment... I’d say Crestline.

Im going to use footman loops. I’m planning to mount mine higher to minimize stress on the upper hinges.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Used this while camping... 50EE75FF-462A-4A94-BFA1-8E0F84A49C27.jpeg
I was very impressed with how well it worked for the two nights. Didn’t even need to add any fuel to what had been in it for 5+ years. It was my grandmas from the beginning of 1940. It’s a dual mantle, nickel bottom, Canadian lantern. No model number to be found anywhere on it.

Picked up a newer, smaller one...

844A1191-02DB-45E3-816C-74FF5A430242.jpeg

It’s a 200... and based on colour I’d say 1960s.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I’d like a backup alarm, and mine was badly corroded and not working. So I Decided to pick up a used replacement when I saw it.

B8304C4A-30C1-431F-A647-1ED1AB80562F.jpeg3F9B76A2-EAC4-4FA2-BB25-92F0A1A73B81.jpeg
After swapping it for one just like it, I also wired up the trigger wire for my second backup camera.

Now when I throw it into reverse the display on the monitor changes from a rear-view behind camera to a backup camera which starts at the bumper. It also turns on the backup alarm, unless I switch the backup switch (on dash Ambulance console to the ON position). Crestline originally had a momentary switch which would temporarily disable it when backing. It still disables it if I toggle it ON and then OFF, but it was replaced at some point for a switch that can be left in the silenced position.
Grid lines also pop up on the monitor while using the backup camera. They should be helpful once I learn to use them... in the meantime, they can’t hurt.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks to @Abitibi I've got some original cabinet doors and a grab bar. Smoked black doors instead of the opaque black. The finger holes to open them are handy also.

The plus side is it’ll be easier to find things in the cupboardthe downside is I see they’re really messy.
5C0189CE-1EB1-408E-BC45-C928C6183C04.jpeg

And the grab rail... even though it was from a different year, it mounted up perfectly.
D327036C-7379-4A60-B503-B24AD4B1ABB6.jpeg
Almost like it was designed to fit there.

When it’s not a camper, office, or people hauler... it’s used to transport stuff. The rail will make for one more place to tie things to securely.

I guess it’s time to straighten them up... like I’ve got nothing else to do. ?‍♂️

Last edited:

eporter

Adventurer
That fridge and micro combo works perfect there. I’d like to be able to heat a burrito and grab a cold beer while cruising down the road!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Nice to see it all worked out! Always great to be able to reuse instead of recycling or worse dumping in the garbage!

Enjoy!
Thanks again

The cabinets were slightly different in width, but cutting the doors to match will be a problem for a different day. I’m probably the only person who’ll ever notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles