97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
Had a little bit of time today while I was smoking up a great big meal for Dad. Figured it'd be a fine time to do a little bit of work to the water system. The pics are pretty much self explanatory. I do plan on putting the battery in the camper next to the other one and connecting them parallel. There's also a pic of my new eco-temp water heater. Things are coming along well. The plan is to use the water tank and pump independent of the camper. I installed a water hose connection behind the lid of the tool box. If I want to shower I'll hook a hose to my water heater. If I want water in the camper I'll hook up it. If I want water at the camp fire or anywhere else near my trailer I'll just use the hose. I may get a splitter and leave a hose to the camper and a second hose for everything else.
7bb0465e827e375562661f0861d40047.jpg
76fb8107a3be602fb338e27e0a3f34d9.jpg
87c2ba1d791c79c9a1e68062d71791ad.jpg
57f75372732430124f8f751f7c776afc.jpg
fe6effbec2d5ab09199dedb7dc1ff7df.jpg
That last pic is my handy work with my "back porch" legs. We used to run New Holland bar bailers to roll our hay. They were always bending those bars. So I got plenty lying around to work with.

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
are you gonna use that trailer tailgate for anything other than standing? Looks like you could remove it and be fine.

The point is to have a back porch. I could remove it, wouldn't hurt a thing. But last night I took a shower while standing on it and my feet stayed nice and clean while I scrubbed up. It serves as a place to store our coolers for easy access. Just open the back door and walk out to the cooler. No stepping down or climbing around. I'm not worried about the extra weight. I pull it with one of two F-350's. One 460 powered and the other Power Stroked. It's not ever gonna be too heavy to cause any issues with either of my trucks.

Seabass

Idiot
So we finally had a chance to head out for an over nighter. Yesterday day was me and the wife's anniversary. 13 years!! So we made an easy trip down to the river. We didn't spend a ton of time- but we had a blast. Ate giant steaks and jalapeño poppers! Drank "a little" wine. All in all it was a great time. The Ecotemp made great hot water. The 46 gallon tank was more than adequate for wasteful amounts of water usage. We still have over half a tank. The dual batteries are gonna be great. I wasn't even trying not to waste power. Granted it was only one night. I hope to tackle my 150 watt solar panel soon too. So here's some obligatory pics....
b83ef21511e6de1ef8a4ce4b7a3cef09.jpg
601db68504e54469c1d31c36e50bd67e.jpg
bd3bf3482e0a86c1373acaf7bd1fb80d.jpg
5a998ca6aa417f587ed209e6baf79846.jpg
Hoping to head out again later this week. Things should be a little more adventurous if we actually have more than 12 hours to play! I'll aim to take plenty of pics.

Last edited:

Seabass

Idiot
So I'm not so good at the updating of the thread. But I've made a few changes to my old diesel truck. My flat-top white topper has begun to crack up. While I'd use it for a week long trip, it won't last on the truck all the time. It had a couple cracks in it when I bought the truck. I can't seem to repair it. So I put on a topper that I already had, a mid-rise that I once had on a brick nose truck. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a thirty year old topper, so I rolled some high gloss black rustollium paint on it. It turned out really well. I have a great friend that does vinyl, wraps, stickers, and pin stripes for a living. I talked him into a really good vinyl cover for the tan on my truck. Now it's white and black, instead of white and tan. If I change my mind I can always peel the black vinyl off. Anyway, here are some pics of the truck over its various transformations, from the day I bought it to today. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. But we all know that won't last.
58325da51bc6548e8b6f07c4878e638b.jpg
59c46c28bb5519aaceb51ec69993ee35.jpg
8cc8acbe8a670bdd8a427d5ffabf3438.jpg
e5230e8d02791bdd5011338a10b32086.jpg
1104beb518f5dad1ab6de62cca8aa311.jpg
9f100f43d56a4748dacf3a9864593b69.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am kinda digging the new topper, brings a totally different look to the rig. Keep this thread updated, definitely loving following along.

Seabass

Idiot
I am kinda digging the new topper, brings a totally different look to the rig. Keep this thread updated, definitely loving following along.

Looks Awesome. I like the utility of those taller shells. They give you a lot of room inside.

Thanks fellas! I don't think it looks like the same truck. I really like the "white truck with black accents" look. I tend to dress all my trucks the same. I like what I like. I'm amazed how much room there is under that shell. Sleeping back there will be TONS better! I've been doing some carpenter work the last couple weeks- carrying saw horses and ladders, and tools, and some bulky stuff- some of it wouldn't have fit under the old flat-top shell. I'm really pleased. The truck is so big anyway- that the tall topper looks fine. The truck I had it on originally was a reg cab F-250. The cap looked massive on that truck, so I rarely had it on. It's been sitting in my barn for the last 20 years collecting dust. It's in remarkably good condition. Next I want to tint the glass and build an internal frame to support the roof from the under side. That way I can put my bars on top and carry my yaks, bikes, or whatever. As it is I'd be scared to put anything up there. It's not really made like some of the newer tops I've had lately. I could stand on the flat top shell and it would hold me fine- and I'm a fairly large man. No way would I even consider that on this tall shell. But I had it- so it was kinda free. And you can't beat free.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
These '90 Fords seem timeless. Almost makes me want to unload the Excursion and pick one up.

If you can find a clean OBS Ford with an unmolested frame and body and low miles I would jump on it the moment you see it. These things are becoming harder and harder to find without 300K miles and destroyed bodies and frames. They are indeed a timeless design and will likely keep appreciating in value, especially the 95-97 7.3L PSD models.

Seabass

Idiot
Ok guys, I'm looking for some opinions. I want to improve my front suspension. The truck's factory springs were fatigued when I bought it. Between the heavy 7.3 power stroke, the bumper, and winch, the truck was at least an inch under what it should have been. My solution was a simple set of add-a-leaves. I've gone this rout many times over the years. Usually it's just fine- especially on the rear. However, I didn't get much lift so I added a second set of add-a-leaves. While this did give me the amount of lift I wanted the ride isn't so good, but mostly it doesn't flex. Hardly any. I knew better when I did it. Luckily the frame flexes easily! Anyway......I like the shackle reversal kits. But: 1-they give more lift than I want. 2-my factory springs are shot- so I need two new packs. 3-my truck has an aftermarket intercooler so I have to buy a more expensive shackle reversal kit to fit. 4- I'm really not crazy about how they look in terms of how far the rear of the springs hangs below the frame. I know it doesn't hurt anything. I hear that they ride super nice, but it's a 1-ton truck and I expect it to ride kinda rough. So, these are a lot of factors that add up to a lot. Mostly expense. The SRK and springs are quite pricy when combined, and then the fact that it's more lift than I want is making me look in a different direction. What I need is 2-3" over stock (I'm running 35" tires and don't intend to ever go taller). It needs to flex some, but not too much since I get some big loads and high weight numbers- I need to be able to control the truck at highway speeds. I pull goose necks regularly so height is an issue as it can get my bedsides crushed by the trailer neck when off-road. Many goose neck trailers do have adjustable height necks to level the trailers out, but again the bed clearance is an issue. Since the truck is nearly level now if I go taller in the front I'll need to get taller on the rear. So I'm leaning towards putting a pair of SkyJacker 4" lift soft ride springs on. I've spoken to the tech guys there and they tell me that for diesel trucks like mine they sell an additional add-a-leaf for these packs to give the advertised 4" of lift. So if I were to put these packs on my 460 powered truck then I'd have the 4" lift. But if I opt to not use this added leaf, the weight of the diesel and the winch and bumper I'll get 2-3" over stock. Basically right where I am now, but with a considerably better ride and a suspension that will actually flex. I've called them twice and spoken to different people both times. Both said basically the same thing. I'm wanting to trust their advice. "All around" can be a difficult thing to achieve. Be tall, but not too tall, be firm for big loads, but not too firm, flex well off road, but no too much. Off-road I tend to travel reasonably slow. If the camper is loaded I'm kinda heavy. I don't abuse this old truck, but I do use it. I always seek to improve the functionality and quality of it when I change things up. Making a wise decision can be difficult. There's about 1,000 years of combined wrenching, off-roading, and camping experience on this site. All opinions are welcome. I am fairly set to trying this out. However, I haven't bought anything yet......but, Summit Racing has it all loaded up in my shopping cart. I'm almost finished with fall crops and I'm about to be ready to take this little truck repair on. Somebody talk me out of this, or tell me I'm right! Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
No, No, No. If you are going to replace the springs you should not have to add leafs to some off the shelf stuff. Go to Atlas Spring and they will make a set of leaves that are designed to work with the weight of your truck. Shackle reversals are nice but just having the right springs makes a huge difference. I worked with the best shock tuners in the world and they told me that FIRST, the spring rate has to be right. No shock tuning can help you if your spring rate is wrong. Go to Atlas and get the right spring rate for your exact truck. You will have to weigh your truck but that can be done at any truck scale. Talk to Fernando, tell him I sent you. Trust me, you will thank me. http://www.atlassuspension.com/ :ylsmoke:

Seabass

Idiot
No, No, No. If you are going to replace the springs you should not have to add leafs to some off the shelf stuff. Go to Atlas Spring and they will make a set of leaves that are designed to work with the weight of your truck. Shackle reversals are nice but just having the right springs makes a huge difference. I worked with the best shock tuners in the world and they told me that FIRST, the spring rate has to be right. No shock tuning can help you if your spring rate is wrong. Go to Atlas and get the right spring rate for your exact truck. You will have to weigh your truck but that can be done at any truck scale. Talk to Fernando, tell him I sent you. Trust me, you will thank me. http://www.atlassuspension.com/ :ylsmoke:

You've misunderstood, or I wasn't clear. Skyjacker sells a 4" lift spring pack. If you have a diesel then Skyjacker puts a leaf in that pack that is made for that pack, by them, to offset the extra weight of a diesel vs a gas truck. None of the springs I currently have will be used either. They basically said use a set of four inch lift springs for a gas truck and you'll only get two to three inches of lift. However, I will gladly talk to Fernando. I've read your posts complimenting the atlas springs. Is just so simple and easy to go through Summit and buy these springs. I'll be out about $700 for everything. But I'd love to see what atlas has to say. I am very confident that my truck will perform better with their springs. So I'll get in touch and report back. I've got a little bit of time. And thanks!
Had to do an edit. Just checked a text message from a very close friend that lives just across the county from me. He's ordered a set of custom rear springs for his 2012 F-350.....and wouldn't you know it- he's getting them from Atlas. My buddy is super sharp and was thoroughly impressed with them.
75459fa02901bc951cfe0aaa07c6cdc7.png

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I get passionate about it because I did a lot of research before I bought my springs (I even wrote an article or two). I am basically doing a no-budget build and the Atlas springs were one of the best values I've gotten for my money. When something works well for me I shout it from on top of the mountain. :wings: I know how you use your truck hard like I do and want you to be happy. Having the springs made to match your weight is above and beyond what the skyjacker springs can do for you.

Seabass

Idiot
Pappa, I called them. No answer. So I sent a detailed email with my phone number. I dropped your name, and my buddy's name too. I have tons of respect for your mechanical opinion. So much in fact that I'm holding up till I hear from Fernando. I want to make sure I get this right. I half a**ed it first go round. I'm not doing that again. I'm sure the SkyJacker springs would work.....but what if for just a little more money or just a little more time I can get exactly what I need. Thank you for pushing the issue here. I also called my buddy who lives just down the road. After talking in great detail about what he's got going with his springs I'm more than satisfied Atlas can do me some good. But, I think SEMA has them REALLY busy. May not hear from them for a week or so. We'll see. I'm waiting on them either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior