98 Gen 2.5, where to get radiator

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
My radiator isn’t available on RockAuto, any suggestions where to go instead, so I don’t waste time talking to every parts store in town before I figure it out. Very surprised RockAuto is letting me down.

PacS14

Adventurer
If you are in a big city you might be easier to take your busted one to a radiator shop one of those that work on 18 wheelers and have them make you one. That'll be my next step when the soldered patch I did to mine starts leaking again.

I know some people don't like using plastic tank radiators, but after struggling with clogged OEM ones and finding a replacement OEM unit for my 97, I just bought a Spectra one off ebay about 6 years ago for $130 and haven't had a single issue with it since. I recently replaced a leaking original radiator in our other 98 montero with a plastic tanked unit as well.

CharlieNorth

In my 50 years of driving I have never had a clogged or failed radiator. How is this done, I read about it but have no clue how one would F' up a radiator.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The fins are turning to dust on mine……so it might not leak or clog, but cooling ability is diminished.

CharlieNorth

Interesting, rotting from the outside, I have seen the fins rot away but not recently. Then your state probably sprays more caustic chemicals on your roads than we get here. Why they need to spray the roads down on a sunny dry morning is beyond me.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Interesting, rotting from the outside, I have seen the fins rot away but not recently. Then your state probably sprays more caustic chemicals on your roads than we get here. Why they need to spray the roads down on a sunny dry morning is beyond me.

I think they call it PM. Its totally ridiculous here, they pre-spray roads when the weather guys think it might snow.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I had the radiator out for my timing belt / wp job and thought I’d lightly air hose my radiator. Nope. Bad idea. The fins were blowing out as fast as the dust, so I stopped.

ARDOR

Pretty sure Leo just posted the other day about organising another group buy for the custom aluminum radiators everyone seems to rave about.

lizrdbrth

I'm not going to recommend getting a stock or similar radiator if you do any sort of off-roading at all. But I'll throw it out there that I'm a Parts Advisor at a dealership in CA. If anyone needs any OEM parts just PM me the part number or last eight of the VIN and I can find most anything.

PacS14

Adventurer
Pretty sure Leo just posted the other day about organising another group buy for the custom aluminum radiators everyone seems to rave about.
Who is Leo or where did he post? I haven't seen another thread here.

plh

Explorer
Leo (Leo Volk Matus) is on the Mitsubishi Montero facebook groups. Miserable to find anything on FB like normal

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

I had the radiator out for my timing belt / wp job and thought I’d lightly air hose my radiator. Nope. Bad idea. The fins were blowing out as fast as the dust, so I stopped.
If you have a decent radiator shop near you, they can buy a core by dimension and reuse your tanks and side plates. Thicker core and other variations are available as well.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles