98 Jeep ZJ "SHTFV"

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
You started this thread WAAAY back in April and I'm just NOW reading it! I had intentionally avoided opening your thread. I saw the SHTFV designation and immediately imagined some kid's "zombie apocalypse" build complete with mad max style bumpers and spikes....lots of spikes.

This is NOT what I expected! I must say, well done. I thoroughly enjoy reading builds with self-built solutions. As others have already said, you have done an excellent job. I look forward to your updates.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I looked into those solar panels once and they were spendy.

Nice truck with lots of quality stuff! Are those 33" tires?

Last edited:

Recce01

Adventurer
You started this thread WAAAY back in April and I'm just NOW reading it! I had intentionally avoided opening your thread. I saw the SHTFV designation and immediately imagined some kid's "zombie apocalypse" build complete with mad max style bumpers and spikes....lots of spikes.

This is NOT what I expected! I must say, well done. I thoroughly enjoy reading builds with self-built solutions. As others have already said, you have done an excellent job. I look forward to your updates.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I very much appreciate the compliment. I knew there would be some conclusions drawn from the title, I am ok with that :) Thanks for posting, I enjoy hearing what fellow travelers think.

What's wrong with spikes?

lol!

Ya know, maybe it is time to add some spikes. I could probably make them removable and just install them when the apocalypse kicks off, or when I want to scare the neighbors. :) Nice bumper on the Cherokee by the way, I really like the way it wraps around the grill and nose of the Jeep..... Came out Great!

I looked into those solar panels one and they were spendy.

Nice truck with lots of quality stuff! Are those 33" tires?

They are expensive indeed, but I believe the value is there. My next post will give the personal value, as far as monetary value is concerned, I can't find any alternatives that do the exact same jobs for anywhere near the same money. Thanks for the kind words about our rig. I have built a few rigs in the past, and I have learned that quality stuff is worth having, it doesn't let you down when you really need it. I am running "Take off tires" from a 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon. I believe they are 32" tall. I want to go to 33" tires, but I will need to make some suspension and body adjustments for clearance. If I do go to 33's, they will be skinny.

Recce01

Adventurer
Solar saved me!

I was so excited to have solar panels. I couldn't wait to head out to the desert and run the fridge and and maybe some music all day and not worry about the battery anymore. Well, my life didn't feel the same way I guess, because work got busy, real busy. My Jeep sat there loaded, fueled and ready to roll yet completely deprived of attention for the better part of 30 days. When it was finally time to drive it again, the battery was dead. I am not sure why the battery died. I am almost certain I do not have any regular drain, and I didn't find anything to be switched on. When I turned the key on, this is what I saw

8179937094_f27913d183_c.jpg

At first I was not a very happy camper, I had loaned my generator that has 12v charging to my brother. The Toyota truck has had it's own battery issues as of late, one of the reasons for taking the Jeep that day. So, I was standing in my driveway with every car there rocking dead batteries. My wife had just left with the Subaru and I was stranded. Then I remembered that we had solar! I had perviously installed the Powerfilm wiring to the battery when the kit had arrived.

8097850221_c7af5d7ec2_c.jpg

I quickly opened up the back of the Jeep and pulled out the panels. My dogs were out so I decided to put the awning out and put the panels up high.

8179909907_dc593fd3c7_c.jpg

I hooked both of the panels together through the daisy chain wiring. I plugged it into the charge controller and then into the battery harness.

8179894729_c7b1593559_c.jpg

I started to see voltage on the meter within an hour and wasted some juice at the 2 hour point trying to start it. I decided to leave it for 3 more hours. At that point it started without issue. I am not certain of the exact time required to charge it enough to start it, but for me the point was different. If I had to be at work for a meeting the solar solution would have not been the answer. It did get me up and going again, and if we were out in Death Valley, they would be worth their weight in gold!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good to know... I am planning on getting a solar panel and a smart charge controller to keep my Trailer battery topped up. These look nice, even if they are a little pricey for me. Sweet setup.

Recce01

Adventurer
I have a problem, Jeep experts... any thoughts?

I have a problem, Jeep experts... any thoughts?

I was returning home from another great trip to death valley when we had a serious problem on the road. The Jeep at 70 moh decided to cut out, and skip a beat :(. It became appearant that the issue was relative to throttle position, as the jeep would literally fuel or ignition cut then pick back up immediately after I removed my foot from the skinny pedal, or rolled out of the throttle. This got worse and worse not allowing me to use the pedal at all eventually. At least not enough to keep a freeway pace. I found that putting the vehicle in nuetral on the freeway at speed and shutting it off, then starting it up again actually restarted the cycle. It would run normally for about a half hour before reverting back to cutting out on me, eventually losing the ability to use the throttle at all. So again I would shut it down and fire it up again all while moving. This went on and on for the last 4 hours of the trip.......

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Recce03

Ki6MRT
I would check fuel pump and its relative components. I have delt with similar complaints and it ended up being that.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
TPS. Get one from the dealer. I bought one autozone and it was bad out of the box. To save you some headache in the future, disable the factory alarm and carry a backup CPS crank position sensor. And just test the fuel pump with a gauge on the fuel rail.

Edit: test the tps first

Last edited:

Recce01

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys! I have one more question, does this advice apply specifically to the V8 model? I am only asking because the crank position censor was a common issue with my 6cly GC, havent heard of these issues on the V8 version. Thanks again!

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info guys! I have one more question, does this advice apply specifically to the V8 model? I am only asking because the crank position censor was a common issue with my 6cly GC, havent heard of these issues on the V8 version. Thanks again!

Doesnt really matter which engine, the symptoms themselves lead to the potential culprit.

I havent had to do a V8 CPS, but i'v read they can be a real bear to get to.. moreso than the 4.0's.

I had similar issues in my old XJ, after CPS and TPS it ended up being an ignition coil on it's way out. However, most times it's the items mentioned previously.

Firehawkclone

Adventurer
My experience is with the V8 only. I have replaced and carry backups of every sensor. Mainly because I'm solo on most every trip I take. Which is ALOT of trips, 3mons out of the year. I carry a standard 20" toolbox w/o tray full of extra parts. The old ZJ Heep has never left me stranded, but it's only a matter of time I'm sure.

A few basic things Ive learned about the ZJ

Buy dealer sensors only
Disable the stock alarm
Cooling system upgrades
Rear hatch handle(you know this already)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles