'98 Mitsubishi Montero Engine Swap

WyoTero

Hi guys,
I've got a 100k mile 1998 Montero Winter pkg with frame damage from about 5 years ago. It is still drivable, but ugly and crunched. I want to swap that (engine, transmission, and many other parts) into a 200k mile donor body with bad engine, but straight frame. Is there any threads you know of that I can refer to? I have some mechanical know-how, but have never removed an engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my Montero from its good side haha

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 18

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Just swap the engine not the trans....you can do that in a week or less....unless you know the donor body has a bad trans.

dos531

Just swap the engine not the trans....you can do that in a week or less....unless you know the donor body has a bad trans.
I'd personally rather have the 100k mile transmission as well. Removing and installing engines isnt really difficult, just follow the steps. Download the service manual if you havent already at mitsubishilinks.com

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Why do the work of swapping a perfectly good transmission? These transmissions are known to last a long time. I’d maybe keep a known good transmission as a spare just in case, but since the two jobs can be done separately, why not put another 100k on the current trans and see what happens.

WyoTero

Why do the work of swapping a perfectly good transmission? These transmissions are known to last a long time. I’d maybe keep a known good transmission as a spare just in case, but since the two jobs can be done separately, why not put another 100k on the current trans and see what happens.
Would it be easier to swap the transmission once the engine is already out?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’ve never done the trans swap but many people here have. Still, I know it’s a big job and not one I’d do if I had a trouble free trans even with higher mileage.

dos531

Would it be easier to swap the transmission once the engine is already out?
Yes you're already unbolting the trans from the engine, so a lot of the work is already done. Not that much more work to do if the engine is out already.

brad2274

Adventurer
Hi guys,
I've got a 100k mile 1998 Montero Winter pkg with frame damage from about 5 years ago. It is still drivable, but ugly and crunched. I want to swap that (engine, transmission, and many other parts) into a 200k mile donor body with bad engine, but straight frame. Is there any threads you know of that I can refer to? I have some mechanical know-how, but have never removed an engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my Montero from its good side haha
The walk through in the FSM should do you fine, it's not the hardest thing to do, just a lot of smaller jobs and parts removal that take up the majority of time before final removal.

WyoTero

Yes you're already unbolting the trans from the engine, so a lot of the work is already done. Not that much more work to do if the engine is out already.
Thanks. So the factory service manual doesn't really give detailed steps. From what I found, it tells you what components you need to remove rather than how to remove them. The most advanced service I've ever done was replace the alternator, which is why I'm worried I might be getting in over my head. Does it give torque specs somewhere for all the parts for when I install?

Attachments

• FSM1.PNG
    FSM1.PNG
    411 KB · Views: 9
  • FSM2.PNG
    FSM2.PNG
    329.5 KB · Views: 9
  • FSM3.PNG
    FSM3.PNG
    345.5 KB · Views: 8

dos531

Thanks. So the factory service manual doesn't really give detailed steps. From what I found, it tells you what components you need to remove rather than how to remove them. The most advanced service I've ever done was replace the alternator, which is why I'm worried I might be getting in over my head. Does it give torque specs somewhere for all the parts for when I install?
For the most part, you'll find that its fairly straightforward to remove the individual components once you look at them. If you have trouble there should be instructions for those individual components elsewhere in the manual. Make a list of all the steps and just go down the list checking them off as you go. Before you know it the engine will be free. If you're feeling over your head you may want to find someone to help that has done this before, but overall its just a bunch of small easy jobs that add together to make a bigger job.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Better own a transmission jack if you're gonna swap that. Lumping it down Mongo style is.. unpleasant.

I knew I was missing something....

One way that I've found easier in the past is pulling the engine out while bolted to the transmission. You would need to remove the transfer case separately but its alot easier to remove that on it's own.

If you have room to raise a hoist high enough... and a big enough hoist, this is pretty simple. You will need enough ground clearance and enough room to go up with.

I would just like to say that I find it hilarious how the FSM simplifies the process.
"Just disconnect everything and lift, easy-peasy" lol

My advice would be get colored electrical tape and mark what was connected to what. Bag up bolts/screws and label them.
The biggest thing with a job like this is to keep track of *everything* you move or remove, especially being OBDII with all the extra wires n' jazz.
It may seem overwhelming, but it is pretty straightforward, as others have said.

all good comments here.
both methods have valid points.
u must must take picture catalog them

u must label everything.
u must run the bolts back into their respective holes to store them where u know u can find them.
montee uses same size bolts with different dimensions all over.
so keep them organized.

u must leave one engine in place for reference.
this is a big job to do right first time or 100 times.
a very good hoist is mandatory.

u.may have to remove body panels.
DOT get scared. there are few mech. that will touch a montee.
very likely the fished job u do urself if done with care will be a better job than u can buy.

in ur case I would take engine, trans as a unit.
just easier, but I have the lifts a tools and experience.

replace everything on the swap.
vacuum lines spark plugs wires etc.
lit to it but it's an easy job .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne