99 Ram w/ 97 Sun-Lite

freeskier125

Observer
my new (and first!) camper set up....

Truck:
99 Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 24v, NV4500, 4850lbs Front, 6084lbs GAWR SRW D80 (Only 8800GVWR?) S&B Intake, 4" MBRP, Smarty, RV275's, Ford 'Free-Spin' Hub Conversion, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, New OEM Steering Box + Brace, 2" Leveling, Bilstein 5100's, custom footprint gas pedal...

Camper:
97 Sun-lite Eagle WT Sportsman 3 cu. ft. 3-way fridge, 3 burner stove, 21 gal. fresh water, 8 gal. black/grey tank, 20K BTU furnace, 4x 40lb roof gas struts, Group 8D 245 Ah battery, 4 ICP Battery Saver Pro 15W Solar Panel, 29" LCD TV, 3G wireless router hotspot, LED lights,

isles of shoals back there somewhere
P3110288.jpg

P3110293.jpg

P1010262.jpg

P1010263.jpg

P1010265.jpg

P1010266.jpg

I saw some other people on here try and make some kind of air dam for the underside of the camper. I took some shipping foam and ripped it to 4.5" strips and fits snugly in there. Tape is holding on the first prototype, but will probably use some sort of dowels to hold the 3 pieces together.
P3110286.jpg

P1010280.jpg

Put in a size 27 and 31 deep cell battires, ran a remote fuse box over to the toilet area for tv, wireless, cig. lighters for chargers, ect....
P1010254.jpg

P1010264.jpg

I picked it up in january and has sat since, poking at it here and there. Loaded it up this week and took it to the NH RV and camping expo, all highway, averaged 17.15 MPG with the new air dam and smarty on level 1 (AVG: 2200 RPM, about 62 MPH, 480*-600* EGT, 4-11 PSI) This weekend I am going to Pulaski, NY for some fishin' and should become more acquainted with the camper after its first trip.

Hopefully more stories to come!!

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Great combo! I always though the WT had a great floor plan and use of space with the partial bathroom in the 8' length. It's great to see actual photos though--I've only seen the floor plan in the brochure. Looks like it has lots of storage.

chp-sk8

Adventurer
NICE!!! set up .Sunlite's tend to sweat alot....pay attn to the staples around the top part of the trim around the inside of the camper. The staples will rub holes in the canvas while it is floded up.

ExpoMike

Nice setup. Great to see more 2nd Gen Ram's with popup campers. :) Not that I am bias or anything. :D

freeskier125

Observer
so.... back from our first trip, besides not having the water or toilet systems going, it did (as far as i am concerned) extremely well. on the way there it did something like 415 miles to just about 26 gallons, so about 15.9 MPG highway (AVG: 6-20ish PSI, 425*-700* EGT, 2450 RPM, 62-65 MPH with air damn)

update with the air damn thingy ma-bob.
i had just wedged the foam strips between the cab and camper with a dowel and tape to hold all 3 pieces in there together. every couple hundred miles the foam was starting to rotate and go parallel with the cab and i would have to pull over and re-adjust. i brought some cedar shakes and used them as wedges to stiffen up what i thought to be an already ridiculously snug fit

P3160254.jpg

picture of the foam rotating counter clockwise and loosing my wedges. (due to mysterious forces... suckey tape job/prototype?, wind speed?, curvature of roof vs. flat camper?)

P3160255.jpg

it ended up being the deflection between the stiff cab and bouncy bed with camper that maneuvered and twisted it out of place. i plan on using the same foam pieces with vertical dowels 2/3 height of foam into the camper, or hang a new single strip of 5" x 3/8" (basicly thick conveyer belt) from edge to edge in a big U / V shape.

this truck/camper set up is almost acceptable to stay in any kind of parking lot. we stayed in gas stations parking lots, local fishing hole parking lot, state park picnic areas with out any complaints.

Selkirk Shores State Park, on Lake Ontario
P3180269.jpg

finding out the need of camping chairs and table even though you have a camper. (we had a radio though!)
P3180280.jpg

for all the salmon river fans, here we are at sportman's hole
P3170262.jpg

ellis cove with our friend Maximilian
P3180264.jpg

Things are warming up here in NH and i plan on doing some spring trips in the white mountains. I have had many suggestions from local people on places and back roads to visit/ camp on. The TV, wireless, solar panel didnt make it on the last trip, but should be ready for the next one. some other small mods. planned too, ill probably will keep the thread updated.

freeskier125

Observer
added a front mount receiver hitch today, plan on using it as: front tow point, moving trailers around, receiver winch? (anyone have suggestions/experience?), carrying extra storage container, carrying motorcycle (assortment of bikes)....

going to paint it tomorrow and make it all purdy

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

freeskier125

Observer
Did some more work on the camper today. I plan on leaving this friday for a journey from NH to Key West, FL. June 1-25. first week on Slyline dr--Blue Ridge prkwy. second week in Sanibel, FL, last week returning from the keys, miami, daytona beach, myrtle beach

Google Map of trip

Lost 1 1/2 days to messing around with front passenger axle shaft seal in the CAD (center axle disconnect) BY FAR one of the biggest pain in the *****... went through 4 seals at $13 trying to get it in and still not working. so the truck left the yard this morning to try and have a local shop look at it early this week so i can have truck and camper together before thursday.
IMGP0002.jpg

installed 4 gas struts to help lift the roof. only 40# each, could have gone with more but still a lot easier and safer. sometimes when cranking the roof up the handle walks out towards free spool mode, kinda sketchy... but now i can even crank it with left arm no prob.

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

recent topics on the fourm and on my last weekend trip has been the fridge not keeping cool enough. installed some new fans and going to clean the chimney. dual is kinda loud, might try only running one. its on a switch and not sure how long to keep it on for, im sure ill figure it out on the trip.
IMGP0005.jpg

had dual batteries before but neither stayed at the same voltage so i think there was loss from them going back and fourth. would still last a weekend but i had a bigger battery given to me. installed a west marine AGM 12V Battery (Group 8D, 245 Ah, 1800 MCA, 480 Res. Min., 20.75"L x 11"W x 10"H, 161lb!!! big sucker)
IMGP0021.jpg

should run my tv and lights just fine, no big inverter yet, just a single outlet clamp to the batt.:(
IMGP0016.jpg

led lights from china. 27 and 36 led per board. less then $4 ea, great so far
IMGP0020.jpg

my camper was built for a dually so it has the rear overhang that covers the truck brake lights with big goofy ones, and is a giant air dam too. thinking about cutting it flush with the inside of the bed, keeping the line from the inner wheel well to the tail light on a hinge so i can use the area for storage without stuff falling out the back. has anyone ever attempted this before?
IMGP0013.jpg

more to come in the next few says. hopefully everything continues to get better, prep work was off to a rough start with pretty much everything going wrong. still kinda nervous about getting it all done and ready with only a few days left and it being the first big trip. looks like ill be going solo :/.... might not be so bad

also if anyone has suggestion on places to visit along the way let me know!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Very similiar to my old '99 but with a Northstar. Hopefully,your running gauges with the Smarty. I had Mach 1.6 F-1 injectors and an Edge EZ on mine with a DTT enhanced auto.If you don't already have one,an adjustable boost elbow will allow increased boost greatly lowering egt and smoke. You're fortunate to have a manual as a Pacbrake would greatly enhance stopping power. Nice setup

freeskier125

Observer
we are having issues with our fridge too....did the fans help.

not sure yet, i didnt realize what the original loud and squeaky fan did until i looked into why it wasnt staying cool anymore. so figured 2 would be better, especially in FL. like i said 2 is kinda noticeable when running inside (nice humm to fall asleep to) but i dont know how long they are suppose to be on for. i will probably rearrange them with one quiet 2" for primary use and one or two 4" on top and bottom vent with a second switch for if it gets really hot

freeskier125

Observer
so quick mid-trip update...

Skyline dr/Blue Ridge parkway is beautiful and is now on my list of ultimate driving roads. Great experience, "I'll be back". Finding out i cant stop at every overlook was interfering with the itinerary. Had a few encounters with deer, elk, bear, rabbits, birds of prey, and many humans as well. Stayed in park camp grounds $14-$16 a night, usually meet a few interesting people there. I would try and leave early then take bfast and lunch at an picturesque overlook.

breakfast spot

IMGP0069.jpg

lunch spot

IMGP0061.jpg

lunch next day

IMGP0220.jpg

sorry to bore you with pictures

IMGP0250.jpg

went 10+ miles down a unmaintained dirt road to follow the river but never found it. had to bail out. Here you can kinda see where i have cut off the rear dually overhang/light covers. I like it alot better and have some more plans for easy storage access, a hinged panel left of the door. there is a small kitchen door inside to access it but being able to pull out the camping chairs and table with out going inside would be nice. came out pretty darn well, minus using old chalking that never cured. ill have to go back and do it again :/.....'too bad you didnt have a nicer chalk'

IMGP0093.jpg

the truck has been getting a spanking with my heavy right foot. 6+ mile uphill inclines and declines average 400*-1150* EGT ~20-35psi..... alot of 4-5 min 4th gear deceleration, with almost no need for breaking. VERY happy about having a 5 speed. i have been adding about a 1/3QT of oil each fill up :/

Video of Grandfather MT
(not environmentally friendly) :) :)

went around ATL and quickly realized that the rig nor me belong there, so we moved on south and now are taking a take a break in Sanibel Island, FL with the rest of my family. Pretty damn hot down here with no AC. 12V fans help but luckily i have a bed in a condo for the majority of the week. Plan to head on to Key West for this weekend, then spend a week or so making my way back to NH. Key west, Sugarloaf key, Key Largo, party night in Miami, take the rig out on Daytona Beach, weekend in Myrtle Beach then head home.

the camper has been holding up for the most part. being on my first big trip it took about 3 days to finally get settled in. i kept moving things in and out, and finally realized every thing has a home. i can set up/take down camp in ~3 min now.

the dual fans for the fridge i put in were too noisy so i ran 2 separate wires so i could use 1 or 2 at a time. (10:00pm modification) It will stay around 32*-34* when running propane or 120v. i turn it off while driving and it warms up to 50* or so in the 6-8 hours. at night i turn it back on and only takes hour or so to start to get cool. not sure what to do to keep it from rising so much during the day. from what i have herd and tried a few times, running on 12v isnt worth the loss of battery power. didnt really help maintain any temp.

ive been messing around with the led lighting and placement, had some duct tape holding one temporary in place and noticed it fell off one side. on further investigation the thing must have been 150*+ and melted the 3M sticky tape on the other side i was trying to save. I dont believe it is a fire hazard being in an all plastic fixture. thought about using computer processor heat sinks behind it but its a pretty small area between the lens cover.

IMGP0273.jpg

i was trying to raise the roof to get stuff out from under the bed last night and was having difficulty, partly due to intoxication, but after getting it up and locked in place i was frustrated enough to finally yank out the gosh darn, back stabbing crank handle to find this...

IMGP0328.jpg

the teeth are all twisted and starting to chunk apart. that is why it is so sketchy cranking it up because the twist naturally wants to walk out of the track. not sure what to do for handle replacements, going to look around on the forums, call a few local rv shops, and really hope to find some answer before the end of the week. not sure if i can go the remainder of the trip with out poping the top, cant cook, cant sleep that well, kind of a major issue...

other then the crank handle, all as been going well. now im going to go lather myself in SPF 1000 and still turn into a lobster by the end of the day.

KCCO

Attachments

• IMGP0069.jpg
    IMGP0069.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

freeskier125

Observer
Finally settling down after a busy few weeks. Wrapped up my 'east coast' trip, 27 days, 4338 miles, avg. pretty much a flat 16MPG ( shredding grandfather mtn. , or stuck in traffic) no major problems with the truck or camper! Had an absolute blast, first big trip (solo too) with this truck and camper setup. I have atlest 40 nights in it so far this season.

Key West. Some drunks jumped on my back step hitch hiking on Duval St., so I dumped 2nd gear and later found out he broke my handle next to the door. Turned out to be pretty inconvenient, going to grab for it and it not being there...
IMGP0413.jpg

Daytona Beach
IMGP0487.jpg

Hundreds of other pictuers and stories but wont post unless needed. Too lazy :ylsmoke:

Spent the past weekend in Newry, ME for the New England Forest Rally :rally_guys:. Some how over the years I've fallen into helping run, organize, coordinate, consult the rally with a friend Tim O'neil. This year went really well, all things considered.

Saw another Sun-Lite in Errol but the group were total dinks and didn't appreciate any truck camper love.
IMGP0615.jpg

Drove alot of remote logging roads.
IMGP0582.jpg

Old Cherry Mtn. Rd. in the white mountains
IMGP0634.jpg

Crawford Notch
IMGP0638.jpg

I dont have any trips planed for the next month or so. Im finally getting around to the little to-do list with the camper; zipper between the 2 cushions on top of the table, slide apart when trying to sleep on it. New foam mattress, I had a pad on top of the existing mattress but its too tall and the canvas doesn't like to fold inward with it sticking up too high. Fix the small amount of roof sag and new roof vent/electric fan. Getting the solar set up installed, ect....

Had this setup given to me, totally over kill like everything else I do, but whatever. I plan on making a new aluminum frame, 2 separate mounts for each pair and have a simple 4-way tilt for optimal solar collection. The camper doesn't have any built in inverters so i'll put a few in now that I have a massive battery and solar charger.

ICP Battery Saver Pro 15W ea.
IMGP0640.jpg

thats pretty much it for now, will post more as things get checked off the list. :cool:

mudmony

Observer
"sorry to bore us with pictures" any pic without crowds of people, other vehicles and associated BS is worth a view...beautiful country

freeskier125

Observer
here are a couple more! Don't know if I should write a trip report or not, this thread is kinda 1/2 tech, 1/2 trip report so far.

IMGP0091-1.jpg

in the ghetto, ATL (would rather of had more cars and people around me here)
IMGP0313.jpg

tough day
IMGP0496.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94