99 Trooper before/after lift

(none)

Adventurer
Love seeing these troopers. I had a 96ish for a few years. All stock, but i really liked driving it. I'd totally own another. Burned about as much oil as gas, but never let me down.

Noobles

It’s great to see more Troopers out there getting after it!

Here’s my 1997 Trooper. I’m the original owner. It’s lifted about 2” with OME shocks all around and OME 929 springs in the back. The tires are Cooper MAXX 255/85/r16 which fit really well with the lift. Even when stock the Trooper was super capable. It’s been all over the Sierras, Mojave, and Death Valley.

I wish you luck on your roof rack. It’s been so hard trying to find a good roof rack still being made that uses the trooper’s own threaded mounting holes in the roof. I used to have two Yakima round bars (53”) on Q Tower bars. The Surco products (Safari rack and TR100 mounts) are ok, but the build quality is pretty bad. Most of the new “modular” racks like Frontrunner or Rhino will require removing the headliner and drilling new mounting holes in the roof.

I recently put together this current rack using extruded aluminum t-track, aluminum bars, and 3/4” aluminum angles. I drilled all the mounts so they fit the stock mounting points. Finally it’s a roof rack I’m pretty happy with. It’s compatible with all 10-series t-track hardware and is basically a copy of the Prinsu brand racks they made for Toyota’s.

5bc465d06d9cccf97ac470c8c7cd2978.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any more pics of your roof rack build? Been wanting to do this for a while

archerwolf

Sorry I got no more pics of the roof rack. The Trooper has been retired after a long lifetime of service.

I mostly followed this youtube video for the build.

I bought the 1"x2" extruded 10-series aluminum crossbars from Tnutz.net
The 2" x 48" flat aluminum bars I used for the lengthwise bars I got from McMasterCarr.com
I used 1/4-20 stainless bolts/nuts throughout , also from MMC
I already had the Surco T100 mounts from the Trooper. I cut 2"x3" aluminum angle and drilled those to mount the rack to the Surco mounts.

Hope that helps!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Awesome thank you the chart is helpful. I ended up with 265 75 16 Yokohama geolander and couldn't be happier so far. One of these days I'll learn to post pics.

I think that is the correct answer. 285s are too much tire for the brakes. 235s are OK too.

Hayduke950

Observer
I just picked up a 1998 (my 4th Trooper!) and am about to do a 2" lift and new tires, so I was browsing here and saw this thread. So glad there are still a few Troopers around; I loved all of mine.
The one I just got is a beater, but that's perfect for what I'm about to do to it. ;) It will live at our place in Truth or Consequences New Mexico, and be used to explore the desert down there. The mesquite, cactus, and rocks are bound to mess it up, so no sense having a show truck.

IMG_3834_heic-L.jpg

GTI-88

Hayduke that looks clean! Far from a beater IMO. That lift and tire combo looks perfect for the terrain you are in. I just somewhat unintentionally became the owner of a 92 Isuzu pickup so I am learning what I can about Isuzu's in general

Hayduke950

Observer
That's her good side, for sure. The passenger side has some "patina."

IMG_5830_HEIC-L.jpg

I recently added some fuel capacity by mounting a jerry can, and we've been out exploring a lot.

IMG_5757_HEIC-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles