Scott Brady

Founder
:ylsmoke: FREAKING SWEEET

Man, that is turning out so great. :)

I have been loading up the IPOD too. Endless tunes. :suning:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
OK here we are in the midnight hour for the Baja Expedition...:Wow1:

Water tank install and pump system tested out OK - Would like to at some point add a filter at the faucet - filling with clean filtered water is to manual for me :)

Aux gas tank full and no leaks ( good thing) forgot the ground wire on the pump - will add that in the am tomorrow and test it out. The hoses are kind klugy in the fitting sizes but it wll might work at least for this trip.

Extreme Aire 12v compressor installed - I used a 100 amp circuit breaker and a 12v solinoid relay for switching on - I also adde the flow through chuck so the compressor has no back pressure when it starts up. Mounted that where the old 40lb CO2 tank was less space, lighter, and endless air.

Tested out the folding Brunton solar array Solaris 25 Watts- it puts out 1.5A @ 15.4V - it was loading my battery while I was blasting XM on the Tacomas audio system - Very compact and slick - just in case :)

I have a tailgate lock install left - Test out some new gear ( stoves) then drive the very loaded Tacoma around town and see how it runs...

More photos HERE

All most finished :luxhello:

Tacoma.solar.array.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Desertdude said:
OK here we are in the midnight hour for the Baja Expedition...:Wow1:

Water tank install and pump system tested out OK - Would like to at some point add a filter at the faucet - filling with clean filtered water is to manual for me :)

Aux gas tank full and no leaks ( good thing) forgot the ground wire on the pump - will add that in the am tomorrow and test it out. The hoses are kind klugy in the fitting sizes but it wll might work at least for this trip.

Extreme Aire 12v compressor installed - I used a 100 amp circuit breaker and a 12v solinoid relay for switching on - I also adde the flow through chuck so the compressor has no back pressure when it starts up. Mounted that where the old 40lb CO2 tank was less space, lighter, and endless air.

Tested out the folding Brunton solar array Solaris 25 Watts- it puts out 1.5A @ 15.4V - it was loading my battery while I was blasting XM on the Tacomas audio system - Very compact and slick - just in case :)

I have a tailgate lock install left - Test out some new gear ( stoves) then drive the very loaded Tacoma around town and see how it runs...

More photos HERE

All most finished :luxhello:

Tacoma.solar.array.jpg

Man has your Taco Grown Up! I am so jealous!
:Wow1: :Wow1: :Wow1:
Looks great man... Hope it all works out for the best for you guys!

Wil

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I bought two heavy hasps from Ace hardware- Using a dremel tool - I removed a slot of metal where the tail gate edge closes and fastened the hasp end to the side with rivets - I then riveted the loop end of the hasp to the tailgate - I use two Masterlock water proof rubbber coated locks to secure the tailgate. This way the locks remain on the iside of the truck bed and do not rattle on the painted surface - and also keep the locks out of sight.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
As a woodworker, I decided to build them for a couple reasons.

* custom sizing

* use my skills save a little cash

* add the savings to the Aux fuel tank ( read pricey tank)

I bought two pair of THESE

I hope to build the boxes and drawers Approx 4' X 4' - then have the outside waterproofed with bed liner or something similar - add locks and handles - and a tailgate lock.

Desertdude,
Do you have an idea of the approximate weight of your storage boxes? I'm considering this route for mine and I really like the sketch that BajaTaco had for a general arrangement of the bed of the truck.
Cheers :beer:,
P

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I used approx.(1) 4X8X3/4 & (1) 4X8X1/2 sheets of shop maple ply - 2 pairs of 36" drawer slides - 2 gate handles - and (2) quarts of Hurculiner. I am going to take a wild guess and say about 80-90 lbs total wieght- The drawers have now been Baja washboard tested and came out fine. :D

p1michaud said:
Desertdude,
Do you have an idea of the approximate weight of your storage boxes? I'm considering this route for mine and I really like the sketch that BajaTaco had for a general arrangement of the bed of the truck.
P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Thanks

Desertdude said:
I used approx.(1) 4X8X3/4 & (1) 4X8X1/2 sheets of shop maple ply - 2 pairs of 36" drawer slides - 2 gate handles - and (2) quarts of Hurculiner. I am going to take a wild guess and say about 80-90 lbs total wieght- The drawers have now been Baja washboard tested and came out fine. :D

Thanks,
Nice to hear that they help up fine, but by the looks of them in the pictures I had not dought. :elkgrin:
P

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram

This afternoon I finally began the install of my downey aux tank (which has been sitting for 6 months :hehe: ) I've been dreading this one for some reason...I need anothers perspective. I've got it all mounted and all the hoses are hangin'. I just need to mount the fuel pump/filler neck and plumb it to the main tank. And the plumbing is different than what the tank was designed for so I'll have to improvise.

Anyhow, I was hoping you could answer a few questions...How/where did you mount the fuel pump? What kind of pump are you using? Did you use a selector valve to prevent siphoning? I bought one but am stumped as to where to mount it.

Any pictures, suggestions would help. :rolleyes:

Thank you:exclaim:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I used the pump that came with the kit -IIRC it was a carter fuel pump I mounted it on one of the cross members up high I then ran the line into the filler tube ( I had to cut into one of the lines) I then had to decipher how to run the evaporator lines into a tee o the OEM line - it was not too easy to do - I lowered the OEM tank a bit to see the top of the tank and figure all the lines and where they all go - I can take a few photos tomorrow and post back

Scott had sent me a couple photos of his install which help me decipher the hoses - and I have a FSM which really helps too

Mlachica

Desertdude said:
I used the pump that came with the kit -IIRC it was a carter fuel pump I mounted it on one of the cross members up high I then ran the line into the filler tube ( I had to cut into one of the lines) I then had to decipher how to run the evaporator lines into a tee o the OEM line - it was not too easy to do - I lowered the OEM tank a bit to see the top of the tank and figure all the lines and where they all go - I can take a few photos tomorrow and post back

Scott had sent me a couple photos of his install which help me decipher the hoses - and I have a FSM which really helps too

Thank you sir, I think the photos will help a lot!

Mlachica

Desertdude said:
I then had to decipher how to run the evaporator lines into a tee o the OEM line - it was not too easy to do - I lowered the OEM tank a bit to see the top of the tank and figure all the lines and where they all go - I can take a few photos tomorrow and post back

I got it all plumbed, I just need to wire the switch and bolt down the filler neck.

Instead of using a "T" I ended up running a hose from the evap line directly on the main tank to the aux tank then running the line from the aux tank rollover valve to the evap canister (whatever it's called) above the main tank. So it's kind of like running the aux tank in series with the evap line which normally ran from the evap canister to the top of the main tank. I called the manufacturer of the tank and they say it should work. We'll find out tomorrow when I wire it up and use it. Man, I'm crossing my fingers!

As for mounting the pump, I just drilled through the bed. I was trying to avoid put holes in my bed and from having bolt heads protruding from the bed floor but it'll all be covered with a storage deck/drawer system anyways...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Time for another post?

Desertdude and Mlachica,
It may be too late now since you are both nearly done the install by the sounds of things, but could you guys start a separate thread or add your information here with regards to your aux tank installations, wiring, information...

I'm just catching bits and pieces from both of you and am very interested. To date I have not read a very comprehensive thread on aux. fuel tanks for the Tacoma except for what Scott has on his site. Just a suggestion for the rest of us!

P

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior