A Little Different M416 Trailer Build

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I have been wanting an "Off-Road" trailer for some time now. After looking around for a few years I considered a few things...Buying One $$$$$...Making on from scratch-ehhh... Then I came across the M416 military trailers. I liked the look, kind of nostalgic, not too big, floats (lol), and its something I could repurpose. It took quite a long time to find one in good shape under $1000.00.. With diligent searching I finally found one for $600.00. I picked it up, had it sand blasted and found the body and frame was in great shape. I sold all the parts I wasn't going to use and started purchasing upgrade materials...
I started of by covering the circular rail tubing with square ¼ wall tubing. This was a PIA, but worth it since I was planning on placing a lid on top and a flat surface to mate it to would work out a lot better than a round one. I ditched the stock axle and springs for a 4000 pound axles with 6000 pound outers and about 4 inches wider, yeah over kill. the 4000 pound axle tube has ¼ wall which should be able to take a heck of a beating if needed. The 6000 pound outers had the bigger hubs which I will need to support 35x12.5 tires. I also started to box in the frame since the original is a 'C' channel frame and I cut out the rear cross member and replaced it with 2x3 ¼ wall tubing with a trailer hitch. I built a lid with ¼ square tubing and 14 gauge sheetmetal. I am now working on the new tongue which is stretched approximately 34 inches longer than the original tongue (see pic below with old factory tongue as comparison). I don't won't to spoil it, but there is much more to come......Trailer1.jpgsandblasted3.jpgsandblasted5.jpgTrailer3a.jpgTrailertop.jpgTrailertop2.jpgTrailertop3.jpgFrame Strech 34in.jpgFrame Strech 34 in.jpg

Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Ordered the 6000 pound Dexter Axle with 3,500 outers. The tube wall is ¼, which should be able to take some good trail hits. Net/net it is 4 inches wider than the m416 axle. The 3,500 outers get me the bigger bearings as well as electric brakes. I know it may be too much overkill but I look at it as insurance.
Making headway.....Trailer2a.jpg

Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Great start. What did you pay for the axle? If you don't mind being asked.

The bare axle was $431.00.
With the Springs, Hangers, Brass Bushings, wiring harness 3,500 outers with electric brakes it all totaled up to roughly $820.00...
I just kept telling myself I only paid $600.00 for the trailer so it made me feel better...... :)

mb1k

Observer
Your price rationalization is on point and your fabricating skills support the plan for your build so why not! Great start, be following this one closely as well.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Your price rationalization is on point and your fabricating skills support the plan for your build so why not! Great start, be following this one closely as well.

Thank you.. I want to try and keep as much as the original m416 as possible, that is why I boxed in the frame instead of just buying new steel and building a new frame which probably would have been cheaper and definitely easier..
I won't have time to really do much the next few weeks with the holidays and family in town, so for now that's where it will sit for a few weeks.
This is what will be towing it http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/850159-1997-tj-2-5-l.html the trailer will be painted the same color with matching 35's and wheels....

Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Made a little more headway this weekend.
I welded on the spring mounts and then reinforced them so they will slide over obstacles a little easier...
Next up is welding on the spring perches to the axle....

Attachments

• Trailer6x.jpg
    Trailer6x.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 277
  • Trailer4x.jpg
    Trailer4x.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Trailer3x.jpg
    Trailer3x.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 271

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
With the holidays I haven't made much more headway.
A few accessories came in though.
- Hinges for the lid
- Lock for the lid
- 4 interior led lights
- 6 exterior led lights
- Upper and lower shock mounts
- Custom Switch Pod for battery bank on trailer...
I should be able to make some more headway in the next 2 weeks..

Attachments

• Trailer switches.jpg
    Trailer switches.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Trailer shock mounts.jpg
    Trailer shock mounts.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Trailer Lock.jpg
    Trailer Lock.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Trailer Hinges.jpg
    Trailer Hinges.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 248
  • Trailer extlights.jpg
    Trailer extlights.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Trailer exterior lights.jpg
    Trailer exterior lights.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 222

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Picked up a few more pieces today:
Trailer and Jeep wiring.
I also found a much beefier shackle than what originally came with my spring kit.
The original kit had 1/4 thick shackles and no grease fitting.
The new kit has 1/2 thick shackles with grease fittings..

Attachments

• Trailershackles2.jpg
    Trailershackles2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Trailershackles.jpg
    Trailershackles.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 201

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
So I wanted wheels for the trailer to match my Jeep. I have the Eagle Alloy 540's which I bought about 17 years ago. I found they are no longer made, and after emails and phone calls to many of the other manufacturers there are none that are made that are exactly like these "Old School" wheels. Heck, half the kids I talked to were in diapers when these were made and they referred to them as old school and 'vintage' (funny).
I have also been watching Ebay, Craigslist and several other sites for them since I started this project. This week I struck gold on craigslist. Found 4 for $270.00, picked them up, will use the remaining 2 for spares.
Boom.... Now I need some hubcentric spacers to take up the gap of the center of the wheel and the axle hub, back to NAPA.....

Attachments

• Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Finally had time to weld the spring perches onto the axle, check.
In pic with the lunette bracket there is a hole in front of the zero fitting.
I am guessing that this hole us to be a spot for a zero fitting as well, am I right?
Next up is welding the hinges onto the Lid, hoping for some free time soon...

Attachments

• Trailer spring axle.jpg
    Trailer spring axle.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Trailer axle.jpg
    Trailer axle.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Trailer Pintel.jpg
    Trailer Pintel.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 226

Area52

Adventurer
I am guessing that this hole us to be a spot for a zero fitting as well, am I right?

I just went and looked at mine.

It has a bolt installed, which appears to be OEM. When I removed the lunette once before, it wasn't restraining the assembly, so it might be for a zerk fitting.

Jim

brian90744

American Trekker
Thats for the trailer light harness clamp, missing the bolt. just FYI=brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles