A Question On Soft Sided Bags

mkitchen

Explorer
Coming from a long history of bicycle touring, I don't understand the poor mounting set-ups that I have seen on soft panniers/saddle bags. I have always had good quality panniers (mostly Jandd products) and they have always mounted securely to the racks. I have always felt that a bag should mount so securely to a rack that both the rack and the bag become an integral part of the bike. The bag/rack did not bounce around or move. To do so sets off the balance of the bicycle.

So why do bags on the dual sports fit so poorly? I have Ortlieb bags and Mo has bags that we got from an outfit in North Dakota. Both are very well built bags but they mount very poorly. Since getting our bags, I have seen some very nice systems but they seem to be above the norm. It just seems that all mounting systems could be a lot more effective and secure. Am I looking at this issue wrong?
Mikey

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Coming from a long history of bicycle touring, I don't understand the poor mounting set-ups that I have seen on soft panniers/saddle bags. I have always had good quality panniers (mostly Jandd products) and they have always mounted securely to the racks. I have always felt that a bag should mount so securely to a rack that both the rack and the bag become an integral part of the bike. The bag/rack did not bounce around or move. To do so sets off the balance of the bicycle.

So why do bags on the dual sports fit so poorly? I have Ortlieb bags and Mo has bags that we got from an outfit in North Dakota. Both are very well built bags but they mount very poorly. Since getting our bags, I have seen some very nice systems but they seem to be above the norm. It just seems that all mounting systems could be a lot more effective and secure. Am I looking at this issue wrong?
Mikey

I think a lot of this comes down to what bike/bag/rack combo you have. I've tinkered a lot with soft bags and always go back to my hard cases. Some bags just don't hang right. Some are suspect when loaded down, and I worry about them failing from all the weight. Some are easy to remove and some are a total PIA to remove and install. Easy install and removal is one thing I'm looking for in any side bag or case. I also worry a lot about how soft bags would hold up in a crash or if they get caught up on something on the trail and get ripped open. It seems like just about all side bags need some sort of rack to help stabilize them and keep them off your exhaust (depending on the bike). I'm currently running some Happy-Trail racks and they work nicely for mounting soft bags.

Sorry about all the pics, but they help show what I'm talking about.

I started out way back in the early 90's using my Nashbar bicycle panniers rigged up to my KLR. They actually worked great and I keep thinking about retrofitting them to my current racks. They did fit so snug that I melted my side cover though.

I tried the wolfman expedition dry bags for a few trips, but just didn't like them.

I have these fairly easy on and off Tourmaster Coretech side bags, but they always look like they're sagging. Two trips and done.

For day trips and general city riding I use my Aerostitch tank panniers as side bags.. They work great with my HT racks.

It always comes back the the hard cases though for me..
And my gear doesn't get squished when I fall over..

One soft bag setup I'm really digging is the Mosko Moto bags and racks. They look secure and have some really nice features. I own their 40L Backcountry Duffle and can't wait to try it on a trip. Their Panniers look sweet.

dhally

Hammerhead
On my road bikes I've just used throw over soft saddlebags. They can move a bit but it hasn't affected handling, even on gravel roads. A mc is heavier than a pedal bike maybe its not as important.

On my dirt bikes I don't like panniers or racks because they run over my legs and get hung up on narrow trails. I use a tail bag and a couple of Rokstraps to stabilize the load.

In general with soft luggage you can get easy on\0ff and easy access OR stability. If you need both, get hard bags.

mkitchen

Explorer
The Mosko bags really look nice

I have a set of Ortlieb saddle bags and they seem ok, except for the lack of a secure mount system. I notice that the Mosko's seem to have a secure mounting system and they have compression straps. I just think that the bags would ride better if they could be securely mounted and if the gear in the bags were compressed, thereby not allowing anything in the bag to shift. I know that Ortlieb makes a very nice mounting system for their bicycle bags, why not for motorcycles?

It could be that it is just me and I have not gotten enough whiskers yet with the dual sports. I hope to be able to do some multi-day trips soon and then I will know more about what works for me. Who knows, I may be happier with hard boxes.
Mikey

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I agree completely. In the very brief time bikepacking has been around, those products have eclipsed everything in the motorcycle sector - by far. Just recently Wolfman started making motorcycle bags out of sail cloth, something the bikepacking guys have been using (like me) for at least the last five years.

Anyway, I've made it a point to test the latest soft luggage for ExPo. I've used Kriega on a 3,000 mile trip through Colorado, Giant Loop on a simlar trip, the new Altrider Hemisphere bags in Ecuador, and the Mosko bags are on route. So far, I'd give a nod to Altrider. I like that system and it's bomber. Tied for that spot is the Kriega Overlander 60 system, but it requires a rack system.

Advmoto18

Observer
Check out Giant Loop. The Great Basin addresses a number of the issues you are concerned about. Yet, unfortunately, softies are designed to mount on a wide range of scoots rather than being specific to particular make/model. That said, fit will always be somewhat less then perfect with soft saddlebags. But, you are much less likely to end up with a broken ankle/leg as with a metal pannier when your scoot decides to take an abrupt nap.

mkitchen

Explorer
Bicycle vs. moto

The argument that there are different motos, so bags would not fit if too specific really does not work. The issue is that there should be more conformity between rack construction and bag construction. If there was a standard between these two items, then we could have a much more secure mount system. The Mosko has the right idea but it would be better if all the quality manufacturers followed the same template for bag mounts. Different bicycle pannier companies have different style of mounts but the one thing in common is that they all will mount on a rack from another manufacturer.

I can mount my Jandd panniers to a Blackburn, Jandd, Tubus, Old Man Mountain or just about any other bicycle touring rack and it would work fine. The same should be the case for dual sports. A rack from one company should be able to secure a pannier to it from another manufacturer and be solid and secure. I understand that the weight of a moto is significantly more than a touring bicycle but we would still be better off if our bags would mount more solidly and without straps going over the seat. If I would have seen the Mosko bags before I bought the Ortliebs, I would have opted to get them instead, even though they are quite a bit more money. A good set of bags should last a long time. I still have a set of Solonge canvas and leather panniers that I got in 1973 and they still work well and will still mount on a modern day rack.
Food for thought.
Mikey

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Kriega 60 Overland system has been my preferred soft bag system designed to work with a rack, but they only interface with a handful of rack options. I think the Mosko bags are sharp in design, but I have yet to get a set for proper evaluation.

I have somewhat struggled to like my Giant Loop bag at times as the zipper can be a real pain to work with. For that reason, the Altrider Hemisphere bags seem like a better option.

mkitchen

Explorer
I will never have a zippered pannier

My Wolfman top bag has a zipper and does ok, but I have had zippered panniers in the past and cussed them to no end. There are too many ways of closing a bag without having a zipper. I want a bag that can mount securely to the rack, a rack that mounts securely to the bike and a bag that can be snugged up/compressed with straps. Some ability to expand would be nice as well. Sometimes that last stop before camp gives you an opportunity to pick up some much needed supplies for a meal and it's nice to be able to fit them in an already full bag by being able to temporarily expand that bag.
One of these days, we will get our wishes granted, eh?
Mikey

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Another curiosity...for the better part of 20 years I used and loved Ortlieb cycling panniers. Their moto stuff seriously sucks.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have been using their Backroller bicycle panniers on my last two thumpers and they have held up very well. They're on my bike 100% of the time. Mostly road riding, but they have seen their fair share of pretty rough roads and have held up fine. I have been debating getting the motorcycle specific ones, since they are a bit larger and seem to have a stronger mounting. But other than being a bit small, I haven't had the need to replace them.
Leftside.JPG

wildorange

Observer
Having done plenty of research, read many forum debates of pros v cons and of course factor in overall cost, usage, wear & tear durability and flexibility I went with soft panniers for my KTM 950 SM.

I initially looked at the wolfman expedition, then Ortlieb options however I finally got a Jofama large and as long as you use decent waterproof inner bags the IT does the same job as the more expensive wolfman option. I'll post a picture when I return to the UK as enjoying the warmth of the Carribean at the moment ;-)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
That Jofama Large looks somewhat similar to the Giant Loop bags, although the Jofama is a bit more like a duffel. I had a Wolfman duffel on my bike for awhile, but I find it much easier/quicker getting into a roll top bag.

I also prefer when the bag itself is waterproof, but that is my personal preference as I would just assume to be able to throw stuff in and not worry about it. But others prefer to use waterproof bags inside. That way even if the exterior rips or becomes compromised, you don't lose you waterproof-ness. I suppose if I rode in more rugged conditions or heavily wooded areas, I might feel this way. But my Ortleibs have held up great under the conditions I ride. There certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles