A Scrambler's Homecoming

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Wow.... epic congratulations!
We've all loved and lost, built things we regretted.
Here's my all black, cherry 85 I bought two days after basic training in 1990.
38 ground hawgs and stock 272 gears...yup. 2pc rear axles. Yup. A pair of kc daylighters. Yup. Hahaha. Sadly I let my never rusty, never wrecked, only wheeled once cj8 get away from me. Unlike you I have never found it.
Thankfully after my last deployment I was able to gift myself a replacement. Not as nice but built a little smarter.
Headed to live in colorado shortly. Hopefully see you around. :)
fae72b38f8dffc9216df3999728b1081.jpg
20047aa7b67e97553b400f3c7e520542.jpg

moabian

I'm leaving for Moab in the morning! We will arrive Saturday. I will keep my eyes open for your scrambler.

I probably won't drive it again until Jeep Safari week. I pulled the rear bumper yesterday to have it re-painted (same color). The only rust on the vehicle is on the inside of that bumper, and a small spot on the outside. But the guy who stored it for me for the past 20 years painted the bumper himself, and his paint job leaves a lot to be desired.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Increadible '8 and story! I love the old photographs. Have you passed by Ed Abbey on the roads? How about those overloaded FJ-55s that Tag-a-long schlepped the tourists around in? It's hard to believe MT had been making the Baja Belted for that long. It seems like just yesterday that they were in all the magazines.

Alphonse

Observer
This story made me a little teary eyed. Nice to see that jeep back where it belongs... and driving instead of sitting!

SheepnJeep

Wow, that Jeep is in perfect shape. It is so good to see great vehicles still out on the roads and trails.

moabian

Increadible '8 and story! I love the old photographs. Have you passed by Ed Abbey on the roads? How about those overloaded FJ-55s that Tag-a-long schlepped the tourists around in? It's hard to believe MT had been making the Baja Belted for that long. It seems like just yesterday that they were in all the magazines.

I haven't passed Ed on the roads since he died...though I've spoken to his spirit a few times. I'm honored to have called him a friend. He came up to my cabin numerous times to visit...and we collaborated on an article for Outside Magazine back in 1978 when it was still owned by Rolling Stone. He later turned that article into a chapter in his book, Abbey's Road.

And the May issue of Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-road has a full 4-page reprint of their 1981 Scrambler review. Coincidentally (?), the only ad on those pages was for Mickey Thompson Baja Belted Tires. The size I took off the Jeep a couple of days ago sold for $77.09 each according to the ad.

Last edited:

moabian

Another old photo...taking the parents for a trail cruise on Independence Day...not sure of the year but probably early 90's since it has the Mickey Thompsons:

And an interior pic taken 2 days ago...all original:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Absolutely stunning! Beautiful rig and an even better story. I cant imagine the excitement you're going through. Congrats!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--that's great that you were friends with Ed Abbey. I'd like to reenact his Desert Solitaire experience someday...just post myself out in the red sand in a trailer for a while.

Is that a Super Digger as a spare on the back?...or maybe a Desert Dueler?...cool pattern.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Fantastic!

With the way technology and the sport in general has advanced, you should be able to keep it very close to stock....but also improve on it if needed.

moabian

Is that a Super Digger as a spare on the back?...or maybe a Desert Dueler?...cool pattern.

I'm not sure which photo you are referring to. The first photo in the Maze has the original Goodyears. The rest of the "historic" photos have the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tires. The newest photos have the BFG KO2's installed Monday.

Hmmm...I just noticed that the photo with my parents in the Jeep has a different spare. I probably ran BFG KO tires most of the time I had it. That's what that tire looks like. Sharp eye! These days, I wouldn't run a spare that was different from the tires on the ground, but I was poorer back then...or I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my friend in the first place.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles