A What's It Worth Thread - Mercedes Vario

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

I know these threads can be annoying, but I need some input. We have decided to sell our Vario, and start again with a smaller van (we're now London based, so also need to meet LEZ).

The specs are posted below. Mechanically it's in great condition, engine runs perfectly, and in the last year has had the fuel tanks flushed and lines cleaned out (at eh princely sum of £900 from Mercedes Truck!). Gearbox was re-built 3 years ago. The mileage is around 167000km. The only mechanical issue it has which I haven't addressed is the rear brake discs. Its a bit juddery on braking, so I replaces the fronts with OEM parts only to find the problem is with the rear! We don't find it to be too much of an issue so haven't fixed it. Will have 12 months MOT when for sale.

The last job on my list for this van was to paint the outside and sort the sills out. If it hits the value too much I might do it anyway, but if not it will probably need doing in the next few years.

So that's its, she's good to go expeditioning...what's she worth?

Spec:
1998 Mercedes Vario 814d

Water:
400l fresh water tank with gauge
90l waste under slung with gauge
Shurflo Pressurised System
Whale gulper force drainage (switchable)
Nature Pure drinking water system
40l calorifier – 3 way (engine coolant (not plumbed), Mikuni coolant, electrical immersion)
Mikuni MX40 diesel wet system (see above)
Morco Balanced Flu, on demand gas boiler
External Shower

Heating:
Eberspacher airtronic 4kw diesel blown air heating with eber controller/stat (also runs fan only/cool mode)
Aux 2.5kw blower run by Mikuni wet system
Fully insulated, 30/50mm closed cell foam
Heatmiser thermostatic controller (also controls mikuni hot water on programmable timer)

Electrical:
420ah battery capacity (4 x Trojan T105 6v, although capacity not what they used to be, could do with reviving or replacing soonish).
Sterling 240v 20a charger
Sterling 24v-12v 30a battery to battery charger (brand new, old one typically packed up just before July holiday)
600w Samlex pure sine wave inverter with remote on/off
240v throughout
Nasa NS-1 battery monitor
Remote electric start generator, 3kw (installed when required). In own box, with cooling fans. Auto change over to inverter when switched off for fans to overrun to cool gen and box
450 watts Solar panels (bosch cells)
Tristar MPPT controller with remote monitor in back (real time and historic power info, I like to watch the free amps pouring in!)
LED lights through out. Kitchen cupboards led under lighters with dimmer control.

Kitchen:
Smev grill/hob/oven, two burner
Waeco 80l compressor fridge/freezer
Smev sink/drainer
Solid oak worktop

Facilities:
Wet room shower/toilet (CS 200 electric flush)
Fold down sink unit
Solar vent
Sliding bi-fold shower door
Air outlet for clothes drying room use
Yacht external sealed LEDs for longevity

Misc:
Aircon unit
27” Philips TV
HDMI system with wall sockets (xbox!)
Sony DVD radio stereo (linked to tv)
Pioneer Speakers
Status vision plus directional antenna
Gas bottle locker in garage
Seitz windows
Fan-tastic Vent with remote control and rain sensor
Waffle boards installed in garage, easy to remove and use.
Cab renovated including re-trimmed roof lining, Bluetooth stereo, new speakers, 'glove box' in lining, coat hooks (sounds mundane but very useful!). Passenger seat folds up to allow unrestricted access through to back.
Reversing Camera
Internal/external temp monitor
Removable adjustable rear stabilisers (for use when parked).
Spare wheel on swing out attached to bumper and door.

Layout:
Double Bed across back
Garage under bed
Raised seating area – converts to spare bed
Rear wall opens to form large hatch – includes emergency escape hatch
Entry through cab walk-through
Hatch in roof

Recent Mechanicals:
Fuel system flush
All filters and engine oil June 2016
3 new tyres June 2016
Gearbox rebuild 2012
Front discs/pads, rear pads 2015

Link to build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...n-rack-pg-5-Ideas-on-uprating-rear-suspension

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Last edited:
That's a shame you're having to sell Anton. I closely followed your build thread, you have the layout and equipment I want to add to mine. You put in a lot of work and craftsmanship mate so that's got to be worth quite a bit. There was a grey Vario814d 2x4 on eBay about six months ago that went for £18k, it looked really nice but it wasn't quite as high spec as yours i think, no bathroom etc..

I have an eminox exhaust for sale that will get you into the LEZ if you decide you want to keep it.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind works Marioverland, and the exhaust offer. We've decided the vario is a little large for where we live in London unfortunately. My wife also wants to start sharing the driving, and she won't drive the vario...not sure why, it's so easy to drive! But sharing the driving would be a win for me!

Any details on the one that sold for 18k? Any input on what you think ours may be worth?

Cheers

I kept a few images from the listing of the Vario, see attached. It was from May 2015 (I must be getting old 6 months now equals 1 and a half years).
$_57.jpg$_57 (4).JPG

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Thanks joe, quite a range there but aside from the 125k nothing expedition kind of spec.

The grey one is certainly a little prettier but (and as you said) from the pics and look of the fit out the spec appears basic.

Hey Anton, i would ask for what you would be happy with and see how it goes. You have a high spec van so I'd say if you get some good shots and a detailed rundown of the equipment and install you could prob ask what ever works for you. If you get no takers you can always drop the price. That is unless you want to sell it cheap, I'd love to swap it all over into mine! ��

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yea I think i'll add up the cost, and take a proportion of that and see how it goes. Depends on what your view of 'cheap' is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier