Adding a house battery to a two battery/two alternator f350?

F350joe

I have a Powerline 2 batt./1 alt. 130amp battery isolator and a battery combiner switch from some old boat projects. Can I use a 1 alternator isolator in a 2 alternator set up? Does it matter which engine battery I go off, is there a charge sequence for the batteries or does one alternator go to one battery? I would like to be able to combine the house bank with the engine bank for jump starting but could just use some jumper cables if need be. I have these parts lying around and want to put them to use. Just trying to figure if the isolator will work, what guage, a fuse locations. The battery will be in a box in the bed so could easily be a 12ft run. I have a blue top sealed battery for house. Any advise would be appreciated. 522986522986

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would avoid using the diode based isolators. They have a significant forward voltage drop (usually around 1V). Which basically prevents good charging. I suggest a relay based system. Cole Hersee, Blue Sea, surepower, etc.

We need to know how your current dual alt, dual batt system is wired. Usually these systems are wired with both alts and both batts all in parallel.

Wire gauge is determined by total run lengths, battery size, alternator size, and expected loads. Report back with those details, and we can provide help.

Photobug

I have a deep cycle battery in my truck bed. I am also trying to figure out how to get power back to the battery from the truck system.

I am thinking about pulling power off of one of my batteries pulling a cable back to my truck bed and using one of these to charge my deep cycle to control to maximize the rate of charge.

http://www.promariner.com/en/~/media/inriver/354427-37034.pdf

A couple suggestion.
Check with a Ford specific forum to get expert help about your trucks wiring. I have a Dodge and will check with my forum to figure out what is happening under the hood between my two batteries.

Buy a jumpstarter battery. I got one that lives under my seat. It makes jump starting your truck or a random person's car as easy as can be.
https://www.amazon.com/TOPVISION-22...&pf_rd_p=d061fc17-7f46-59be-b2f1-88ac31ad8f28

I like having a battery in the back of my truck but I use it for lights and auxillary 12v stuff like pumping up a boat. Deep cycle battery like you want to use have different chemistry and will be less than optimum as a backup jump start battery.

Superduty

Adventurer
I have a very vague memory (back from when i looked at the dual alternator option when i ordered my truck back in 1999) that the second alternator only kicks in when the first alternator can't handle the loads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'm not a diesel guy, but if your F-350 has dual batteries because it's a diesel, that Optima Blue may not be enough to self-jump the truck. Just guessing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior