Adjustable performance coil overs.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I am going to need to replace my Bilstein 5100 shocks on my '97 Tacoma 4WD, sometime in the near future. I am slowly building it up for off roading, I haven't done too much off roading with it, because I need to fix some other issues with it first, before I can trust taking it, off road. Which should all be done in a couple to a few months. I am wondering if the adjustable performance coil overs are worth the extra expense over the 5100's. I was looking into the Icon's, mainly and also the Bilstein adjustable coil overs, since they aren't as expensive as the Icon's.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

WillBeck

Adventurer
Do you mean the 6112's?

And yes, I've found that my Kings (comparable to a 2.5" Icon) are notably superior to 5100's or a similar setup.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Worlds apart. Even more so if you spend some time to fine tune your valving for your particular application.
Good point. I forgot that the Icons, Kings and Foxs can be custom valved and a stiffer spring installed for added armor. Where as the 5100s can't. Even though, there is a stiffer spring for the 5100's. . But, shocks need to be valved, as well. My understanding is that the Bilstein 6112 aren't able to be custom valved. Hence, why they are considerably cheaper.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

AxleIke

Adventurer
This will depend entirely on your definition of worth it. I wanted a "good ride", so I spent money twice, and have not been thrilled with the results.

I have Icon's now. Had bilsteins in the past. Running their recommended OME springs in the rear. Had the shocks revalved for better ride.

It still rides like crap to me. Now, it is light years better than the OME's on my dad's 4runner and the bilstein crap I had before, but not good.

I have a winch, a front bumper, skid plates, sliders, a rear bumper and a tire carrier, with OME 890 rear springs, and the Icon 650 lb/in front springs (they won't put anything else on) and the whole thing is WAY too stiff, and the compression valving is way too harsh.

Some people like a firm ride, and thats all good. But I want a suspension that irons out the bumps, and the factory Icon set up does not do that, unless you have some SERIOUS weight.

Icon will revalve once for free. I had warranty issues with mine, so I sent all 4 in (2 weeks with no truck) and told them what I'd like. The fronts are a bit better, but still too harsh and the rears are way too harsh. At this point, I'm going to finish my modifications, so the weight is finally settled, and then invest in a Nitrogen set up and spend time figuring out how to rebuild/revalve the shocks myself. I plan to drop to a 600 or even a 580 lb/inch spring up front with minimal preload, and just use spacers between the icons and the shock mount to get lift. Out back, I'll use factory coils with spacers in the rear.

This is all to say: what you deem worth it is likely vastly different from what anyone else wants. I want to be able to drive, fully loaded, down a washboard road and barely feel anything. From the factory, the icons about rattled my fillings loose. The bilsteins and Old man Emu's did rattle some teeth out. Same story with the highway and side roads. I don't want to feel rutted, broken pavement. A properly tuned, valved, and sprung suspension will do that.

So, that is all to say: if you want a "softer" ride, factory shocks and coils up front with spacers is likely the cheapest, and better, option. If you want a firmer ride than stock, but less harsh than the Bilsteins, you can run the Icon's.

Personally, I'd love to try the kings. Probably should have gone with them in the first place, but the Icon's were cheaper. Ah well.

99Yota

Observer
I went with Icon's remote reservoir shock with the adjustable damping control (CDC).

Some points:
- Fully loaded, I'm at 5800 lbs. I have 550lb fronts (collars cranked) and OME 861s and I have them set at level 1. Non CDC equipped Icons are equivalent to setting #4 of 10 (1 being softest) according to Icon cust svc. Even on any kind of pavement it rides smoother than a Lexus GX470. Off road is no comparison.
- Overall vehicle weight will have a big impact on how smoothly a suspension soaks up bumps with a given spring rating. My 883s rode really stiff when I was unloaded but with 3 passengers, it rode much smoother. Currently, I am running light springs and am relying on the CDC adjusters to provide added damping for whoops etc.
- Icons are nitrogen pressurized- so installing the rears actually raised the rear a little.

If you plan on adding weight to your vehicle, I would go ahead and get a nice coilover set from the get go. Otherwise, you'll be the guy responding to posts like this on your 2nd,3rd etc suspension set up... I've progressively added more weight and had to compensate with heavier and heavier coils. I'm happy with my current set up and would do it again as you really get an improved ride both off and on road. I frequently drive 1200-1500 miles to get to remote camp sites and the suspension really helps reduce fatigue.

FWIW, here's how my progression went:
First: 99 coils + cornfed spacer (F) and Downey Coils (R)
Second: OME 883 + bilstein HD yellow (F) and Toytech superflex (R)
Third: Icon 2.5 VS CDC w/ 550lb (F) and Icon 2.5 VS CDC + OME 861 (R)

Hope this helps?

AxleIke

Adventurer
I went with Icon's remote reservoir shock with the adjustable damping control (CDC).

Some points:
- Fully loaded, I'm at 5800 lbs. I have 550lb fronts (collars cranked) and OME 861s and I have them set at level 1. Non CDC equipped Icons are equivalent to setting #4 of 10 (1 being softest) according to Icon cust svc. Even on any kind of pavement it rides smoother than a Lexus GX470. Off road is no comparison.
- Overall vehicle weight will have a big impact on how smoothly a suspension soaks up bumps with a given spring rating. My 883s rode really stiff when I was unloaded but with 3 passengers, it rode much smoother. Currently, I am running light springs and am relying on the CDC adjusters to provide added damping for whoops etc.
- Icons are nitrogen pressurized- so installing the rears actually raised the rear a little.

If you plan on adding weight to your vehicle, I would go ahead and get a nice coilover set from the get go. Otherwise, you'll be the guy responding to posts like this on your 2nd,3rd etc suspension set up... I've progressively added more weight and had to compensate with heavier and heavier coils. I'm happy with my current set up and would do it again as you really get an improved ride both off and on road. I frequently drive 1200-1500 miles to get to remote camp sites and the suspension really helps reduce fatigue.

FWIW, here's how my progression went:
First: 99 coils + cornfed spacer (F) and Downey Coils (R)
Second: OME 883 + bilstein HD yellow (F) and Toytech superflex (R)
Third: Icon 2.5 VS CDC w/ 550lb (F) and Icon 2.5 VS CDC + OME 861 (R)

Hope this helps?

Super helpful for me! I'll send a PM so as not to derail the thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior