@Adrifters - F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift Motorhome

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I look forward to seeing what you have come up with for sealing this pop top up. :ylsmoke:

Weight in that rear box didn't hit my radar, until I remembered you are also running a gasser.
Where about is the COG for your camper? And do you know how heavy the bed turned out?

I know the COG in my camper is way forward (by design).
Almost far enough forward to create problems with jacks and loading unloading. Its a bit nose-heavy.
But the weight is far enough forward that pushing it back on the chassis 24" (as planned right now) should do great.

java

Expedition Leader
Just built an ebike. I think it may be a great option, it's 52 lbs with batteries, will do 35+mph.
d33421565cb3abed8da8f6756ef2bb63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
Scott, where do you store your steps while traveling?
Sorry for the delay, just saw this. Mine go in the small locker underneath the door under the grey water tank. I'm working on a new set of steps though, the dogs hate going up the ones we have. I like the way Bliss does theirs, folding and retracting back into the camper, but tracking dirt in is a concern.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Adrift and its builders got some good press after OX West! Can't argue with any of the authors assertions having finally seen this thing in person. Simply amazing.

From newatlas.com author C.C. Weiss:

Adrift away
We generally spend most of our time at OX West checking out the wares being showcased by exhibitors, but often some of the most interesting vehicles are those built by DIYers. That was most definitely the case this year, as the coolest vehicle of the entire show in our humble opinion was the Adrift motorhome.

Based on a Ford F-550 Crew Cab, the Adrift was built to head south of the border for a bit of fun and work - chasing waves on the coast while performing volunteer medical work where needed. The distinctive chassis-mounted module is fully automated, including a three-tier body with lifting roof that creates plenty of standing room inside and includes a separately operated ventilation window. Also operated from the command center are the lift-away bed and slide-out toilet. The thing is an all-terrain intercontinental tank outside, a clever smart home inside.

What better place to end than a power-sliding toilet?

See more shots here in the big atlas:
https://newatlas.com/overland-expo-2018-big-motorhomes/54816/

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There are two kinds of people in the (overlanding) world - those who think that a shower/toilet in the doorway is a GREAT idea, and those who like to give up more space in their camper. :LOL:

A slide away Nature's Head in the entrance may be the coolest thing I have seen in ages. And if you can slide it way while showering it will further reduce the chance of shower water getting into the toilet, just about the only way you can get one of those things to malfunction.

S2DM

Adventurer
Thanks to CoyoteThistle for posting this. We had a bunch of fun with them and @bohemiansontheroad at the show and after. Lots of super cool, well thought out self builds to check out if you knew where to look.

Overall, expo was 'interesting'. The show has gotten large enough that it feels more akin to a sema or vendors showcase now, and the self built side of things more of a fringe element. We were one of their self built 'showcase' vehicles, but they had our area and the DIY area way out on the periphery so traffic was pretty light and signage was basically non-existent. That said, new atlas and a few others travel blogs came by and gave us some nice words. Probably the best compliment is that a few of the large industry builders came by and spent time in the rig. So, those in the know 'know' :) The guys from Earthroamer spent close to an hour checking it out and chatting and then gave us a personal tour of the XV-HD the next day before the crowds got going. Was very cool to hear the thought processes and approach behind how they designed their new offering.

We had a few months of near constant work in before the show, build thread updates and pics to follow soon, it feels nice to have mostly put this project to bed. We got the solar powered AC up and running well, got our outdoor kitchen in, and just all the little things that take forever. While I was a little bummed we weren't a little more central at expo, it was an awesome excuse to get things finished and useable again. Seems like a dedicated area in the future with a smattering of different type of self builds, integrated into the main show would be something well received.

Adrift and its builders got some good press after OX West! Can't argue with any of the authors assertions having finally seen this thing in person. Simply amazing.

From newatlas.com author C.C. Weiss:

Adrift away
We generally spend most of our time at OX West checking out the wares being showcased by exhibitors, but often some of the most interesting vehicles are those built by DIYers. That was most definitely the case this year, as the coolest vehicle of the entire show in our humble opinion was the Adrift motorhome.

Based on a Ford F-550 Crew Cab, the Adrift was built to head south of the border for a bit of fun and work - chasing waves on the coast while performing volunteer medical work where needed. The distinctive chassis-mounted module is fully automated, including a three-tier body with lifting roof that creates plenty of standing room inside and includes a separately operated ventilation window. Also operated from the command center are the lift-away bed and slide-out toilet. The thing is an all-terrain intercontinental tank outside, a clever smart home inside.

What better place to end than a power-sliding toilet?

See more shots here in the big atlas:
https://newatlas.com/overland-expo-2018-big-motorhomes/54816/

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
Java and IdaSHO, you sirs are correct.

I spent a fair bit of time checking out the industry offerings at the show and updating my own internal thought processes regarding camper design philosophy etc. One truism I've come to believe is that beyond a certain camper size, the number of features present in a rig remain relatively constant until you get up to the truly massive offerings. What really changes as rigs get bigger is how you utilize and access those spaces and the number of purposes a given space serves. Do you have to deploy your shower curtain in the doorway, or do you have a dedicated space for it? Do you crawl over your seating area to get into bed, or walk down a hallway? It really comes down to the distance between things, and how many areas serve multiple functions.

Ultimately, thats a matter of personal preference for sure, but its worth a hard thought when checking out rigs to design your own. For me, the big campers just seem to offer the convenience of not having to push a button to deploy your toilet or having to hang your shower curtain etc. The big difference is more the subjective sense of being in a small space that those huge rigs ameliorate rather than a truly greater set of features. If I were full-timing it in a rig in North America, I might actually want that.

For us, if we are indoors, we are cooking, reading on the couch when we've had enough sun, or sleeping. So, while at times, like when I'm showering and she is pulling out clothes for the day it can feel tight in there, I wouldnt trade that feeling and be driving a 10 foot longer, 10k lb heavier vehicle. Our rig still does very well off road, but offers a pretty luxurious experience once there, which is what I was hoping for now that I'm old and soft :)

But it was good to see what bigger looked like in person to ratify I was on the smaller, multi-use side of the bell curve in terms of preferences.

A toilet in a drawer is the only way to go....

;)

chassis244.jpg

chassis245.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
That's a very interesting point, its true too as far as I can see. The same features packed into different package sizes. Very good way to look at it. Whats your OAL?

S2DM

Adventurer
That's a very interesting point, its true too as far as I can see. The same features packed into different package sizes. Very good way to look at it. Whats your OAL?
Just a little under 23' if I dont have the motorcycle rack down on the back.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
I spent a fair bit of time checking out the industry offerings at the show and updating my own internal thought processes regarding camper design philosophy etc. One truism I've come to believe is that beyond a certain camper size, the number of features present in a rig remain relatively constant until you get up to the truly massive offerings. What really changes as rigs get bigger is how you utilize and access those spaces and the number of purposes a given space serves. Do you have to deploy your shower curtain in the doorway, or do you have a dedicated space for it? Do you crawl over your seating area to get into bed, or walk down a hallway? It really comes down to the distance between things, and how many areas serve multiple functions.

But it was good to see what bigger looked like in person to ratify I was on the smaller, multi-use side of the bell curve in terms of preferences.
I'll second your truism. It seems kind of obvious when I read it but in all my thinking and research (and maybe even philosophizing) on camper design, I never fully developed the thought. I think this is a perfect philosophical starting point for those out there designing their own camper.

And if Adrift is on the smaller side of the bell curve (it seems large to me but after seeing lots of stuff at OX, I think you're right), I'm waaay out on the tail of the distribution :). But your truism holds, our camper is a very small space with most of the usual features and yes, every thing and space has multiple uses and there's lots to deploy. Like you say, with age comes a desire for more comfort and ultimately it all comes down to personal preference, but for me, spending some time getting set up for the night and then being in close quarters with my loved one(s) is kind of what camping is supposed to be like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles