Adventure trailer from scratch!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Hi guys, first time poster! Such a huge amount of knowledge here, I am overwhelmed, what an awesome resource

Ok, so, I am starting an adventure trailer build. I am doing this from a standpoint of buying and selecting everything I want to go in or on it before any frame and box plans are even drawn up. I have already seen something here that saved me a huge amount of time and headache.

I was going to build a trailing arm suspension with airbags and Rancho 9000 shocks, but I saw another poster used Timbren Axles on his. Looks like $900 with hubs and brakes for an 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, (H1 wheels and 37" tires) I can have my suspension and hubs and brakes done and out the door!

Anyone use Timbren with Hummer wheels? Will they fit without an adapter? There is 8.25" from hubface to the inside of the tire.

While I am capable of designing and building a trailing arm suspension, it will cost me just as much, possibly more than the Timbren. And the headache of having it done is huge! Are there other similar options I should be considering?

I am open to suggestion, opinions, criticism etc, I have built trailers before, but this adventure trailer idea is new to me.

Will be posting pics as we roll along.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
I called Timbren, got the specs and ordered a set of 3500 lb long spindle with 4" lift. ( Part # ASR35HDS02 ) ordered 8 lug spindle and brakes as well. I have the Wheels, 37" Goodyear MT/R tires and spare (actually have 11 tires and 7 wheels, I used to have an H1). Have the suspension on the way and an idea on how I want the frame to look. It's all good right?

Here is the problem. I have three totally different uses for a trailer of this quality or ability. I have yet to decide if I am building a boxed/lockable trailer for hauling coolers, generator and air compressor hunting and camping gear etc, or if I am building an open trailer that can haul a quad, or if I am building a camper. I did start with a definite goal in mind, but the more I look around, the more options I see that I want. I should build two, but my time and budget won't tolerate two trailers.

Only I can answer the question on what to build. But, I have parts on the way and financially committed, so I am sure I will figure it out :)

colorado matt

Adventurer
subscribed ..... box with removable lid for the box/quad combo and a adjustable up/down rack with RTT for camper version ... Matt

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I will be upgrading to Timbren when my Dexter torsion axle finally kicks the bucket. One thing that I have noticed is how much these home build trailers finally weigh when complete. It seems that off the shelf tear drop, Jumping Jack, AT weigh in at under 1500 pounds. Home built ones are a 1000 pounds or more heavier.
Why is this a problem you ask? well to me it is harder to tow in off road activities. Poor gas mileage, sinking into softer terrains are just a couple of things.
When you mention a several duty trailer, an off road one is lite, which makes it a poor choice to haul yard waste for example.
I guess that is my point., sorry for being long winded.

Buffalobwana

Observer
One thing that I have noticed is how much these home build trailers finally weigh when complete.

Very true, not just with these trailer builds, but DIY builds in particular suffer from builder inexperience, a want or desire to overbuild where unnecessary, lack of access to correct material, so we use "what works" not "what's best".

Buffalobwana

Observer
BoarderMX has a good idea that would work with my trailer idea (I don't know if he built it or bought it, but he posted this pic).

Hmm, tried a couple times ... I am not allowed to post links. I guess because I am new? How long, or how many posts before a member is allowed to post links (images actually)? Yes I used the code properly. Can a moderator over-ride this function?

Kind of hard to share the progress of the build if I can't post pics!

Thanks.

SamM

Adventurer
What are you using as a tow vehicle? My adventure trailer has a Timbren suspension. I think you have made a good decision.

SamM

Buffalobwana

Observer
What are you using as a tow vehicle? My adventure trailer has a Timbren suspension. I think you have made a good decision.

SamM

Ford F-250

I have a ranch, and that is the primary driving force behind the trailer build. I am tired of "babying" my trailers down unimproved ranch roads. I don't want to run it like the Baja, but I do want a tough trailer to haul little things back and forth. Coolers, guns, food, dead stuff, you know, man things.

I will always have my big trailers, gooseneck flat beds, stock trailers and a 1000 gallon water tank mounted on conventional trailers, although I am really thinking of converting that 1000 gallon trailer to a tandem Timbren suspension, now that I have discovered it! That is one that I use often and it is loaded heavy. Timbren makes 7000 lb kits. I am tempted. That would look sick! A couple 37's on each side with a water tank on top!

Ok, one build at a time.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Sounds good! I was just wondering why you went with the 3500# Timbrens. That explains it. My trailer had a 4200# TorFlex axle and was 80" wide. Much too big to haul behind my 2-door Wrangler JK.

SamM

Buffalobwana

Observer
I have come full circle back to where I started. I'll build this as a boxed in, lockable trailer that carries guns and toys to the ranch. Just like most of the trailers I see here, either commercially built, or home built. No tent, well, not for now. That is an easy addition.

Specifications:
Boxed, as waterproof as possible, stainless hardware and bolts throughout, weatherstripping.
One top door
One back end door
Front box with 2 batteries, inverter
Led lights inside to see whats in there.
LED lighting outside to see what's around the trailer
Engle fridge to haul food
lockable so I can go into Wal Mart or gas station without worrying too much that someone will steal my guns and gear

OK, let's see if I can post pics!
My tires.
IMG_2228_zpsprj8sy66.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
I want an Engel Fridge in it. They have so many options, and they all look fine to me. Can someone give me suggestions, or recommendations?

I am a big fan of Engel. I have a few of their deep blue coolers, and while I don't wish to step on any toes, I do believe they are better than that other cooler company represented by a Snow Sasquatch.

Just my opinion. ;)

Buffalobwana

Observer
I have finally defined the purpose of the trailer, which is necessary at the beginning of any project. "Why am I doing this". If you can't answer that, you need to do some thinking.

90% of the time, I am going to use it to haul gear, supplies, food etc to and from the ranch. 3.5-4 hr run, if I don't stop at the G-store on the way to buy food, which I normally do. Buying it all locally before I leave saves me time, and bringing food home at the end of the weekend saves money. Not having to buy ice, saves even more time money and hassle.

I buy gas at a station along the way that sells ethanol free gas! All your little motors love this stuff, so does my boat, so, having fuel tanks on board is a huge benefit. Quads, Polaris ranger, lawn mower, generator etc at the ranch, and the boat here at home. Hauling fuel both ways will actually be an important function of the trailer. (Who makes the best, easiest to use, longest lasting cans?)

I believe I have settled on the Engel MT-45 Fridge Freezer. Seems like the perfect balance of size, capacity, amperage draw, and price.

I like the fact that the basket can be loaded and taken to/from the fridge.

9FDFBCC4-06C4-4563-823A-383A88659DD4.jpeg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
Parts and tools are starting to arrive and the drawings have started.

I ordered the Engel Fridge today. 45 qt, top load.

I got a saw that I have wanted for a while. Needed something that would cut angle better than my old Milwaukee (not my beer, my saw).

IMG_2267_zpsrebrbqcd.jpg

The ability to make accurate adjustments to your angle is something I have searched for in a metal chop saw and been disappointed with in the past. This one is built rock solid. I like the adjustments. Just wish it had a 22.5 degree marking, but, ill figure it out.

IMG_2271_zpss5hn14sb.jpg

Has a storage slot for the hex keys that make the adjustments on the saw.

IMG_2262_zpsleohdng6.jpg

Also got my latches for my doors today.

FullSizeRender_zpsjmw92jeo.jpg

Nothing has been put together yet, but the pieces are showing up and the picture is getting clearer in my mind, so I have started the plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier