Adventure trailer from scratch!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Decided on my tongue.

IMG_2614_zpsh54bc2in.jpg

I can, and probably will, build a 2' extension with 1/4" thick 2x2. This "hitch" isn't a hitch really. with a 10k lb rating, I think it will work fine for now. Plus the receiver mount on the trailer allows me to use ball or articulating hitch, or lunette.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
So I bought the harbor freight saw for my build. Biggest piece of crap ever. If they will take it back I will. It can't cut a straight line for crap. Maybe it's the 10" abrasive blades I'm using but when you pull the trigger to cut something you can actually see the blade bovine back and forth while it spins. It sucks. But I guess what can I expect from a $89 metal saw. I need an upgrade. What did your saw set you back and where did you get it. Btw your project is looking great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Observer
Some of those harbor freight or Northern Tool tools are ok. Grinders, for example, I got a great one for $50 that has preformed every bit like my DeWalt and has been for 5 years. But I am leery of their stuff.

Morse Metal Devil. About $500 or less maybe with shipping. I have been putting off getting this saw for a long time. I cried. Just a little, but now, I smile every time I pull the trigger on it.

I am sooooo happy I did. I make my cuts to within a 1/16 of where I want them and usually right on. The angle selector is every bit as good as your eyes and the guy adjusting it. Take your time and you will get 45 or 12.5 or whatever. This is where the saw really shines.

One of the greatest parts is that I never have to grind the ends when I'm done. They are clean cut with no overly rough edges. It makes the work go fast when you can cut steel like you are cutting wood trim for a carpentry project.

Cuts are only warm to the touch (although you should be wearing gloves).

Worth every single penny in so many ways. I don't know why I didn't do this 5 years ago.

If you can afford it, there is no comparison from stepping up from the abrasive blade to the tooth blade.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Re-did the bumper. So glad I did.

IMG_2633_zpsmjqlxisf.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpszcbvysto.jpg

Cut out 2x2 so receiver can fit. Now I can run a 2x2 from the front receiver all the way to the back receiver, so if I am pulling something heavy with it, it's a straight line pull, no stresses on the frame of the trailer.

IMG_2629_zps1noedqlp.jpg

45'd the bottom 2" and it looks nice!

IMG_2627_zpsmvhcwzuw.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Time to build the back door. I went back and forth over tailgate or swing door. Went with swing so I can reach farther into the trailer.

Took the back frame and cut steel 1/2" smaller so there would be a 1/4" reveal around it. I cut 2x2x1/4 tabs to wedge in there to hold its shape as I am welding it to keep it true until I skin it.

IMG_2652_zpsfri0bb5g.jpg

Got the cut out done and door skin aligned and gave out. Long day.

IMG_2650_zpsnfguyb7e.jpg

Ok, one more easy task. Tape and trace for tomorrow Or some other day to cut in locks for the top lid.

IMG_2648_zpsxt1exdib.jpg

Buffalobwana

Observer
Thanks buddy, you blew my cover! I was trying to remain incognito here. :sombrero:

On that note, if anyone wants to kill a huge, and I mean huge Mule Deer, nobody knows Mulies like Huntsonora.

Buffalobwana

Observer
I believe I have settled on the Engel MT-45 Fridge Freezer. Seems like the perfect balance of size, capacity, amperage draw, and price.

I like the fact that the basket can be loaded and taken to/from the fridge.

mt45_food_closed.jpg

After a few months of using this fridge, I can tell you this thing is built like a tank!

I shipped it from TX to Idaho for the trip in the new M923A2. I bolted it to the floor between the front seats. First trip out, I wondered if the constant shaking and jaring of the 5-ton cab would pull the screws loose. Wondered if the fridge would come apart!

1800 miles of bone jarring bouncing later the truck and a worn out Buffalobwana roll up in front of my house with a fridge full of frozen bottles.

This fridge just passed the torture test.

Buffalobwana

Observer
With the purchase of the trucks and starting the Mission 22 Truck foundation, the trailer build had to be put on hold. I'm about to start up the build again. Plus I really need that space in the garage cleaned out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior