Adventure Travel Boot Redux

perterra

Adventurer
My favorite boot ever is unfortunately the most hideous thing ever. La Sportiva Trango Cube. So light. So comfy. Next in line are Salewa Alp Flow Mids. http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-salewa-alp-flow-mid-gtx/

The Scarpas can be very easily resoled. Everyone I've known to use those boots has raved about them. Provided the fit works for you. Narrow heal, medium width forefoot. Kind of low volume.

No worries about looking like a zoo keeper in them

yfarm

Observer
My favorite boot ever is unfortunately the most hideous thing ever. La Sportiva Trango Cube. So light. So comfy. Next in line are Salewa Alp Flow Mids. http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-salewa-alp-flow-mid-gtx/

The Scarpas can be very easily resoled. Everyone I've known to use those boots has raved about them. Provided the fit works for you. Narrow heal, medium width forefoot. Kind of low volume.

The appearance issue has been resolved with the La Sportiva Trango Cube Gtx Highlander in Kryptek camo.Perfect boot. Have only found on La Sportivas site or Krypteks site.

twin_magnolias

Observer
I saw those Lems Boulder Boots a while back and I'm super intrigued by them. I'd like to get a pair now that fall is upon us and my summer shoes are getting put away for a while.

For rainy, muddy weather, I always turn to my classic Bean Boots. And while it's not a boot, I can't overlook my favorite outdoorsy shoe. During summer months when I'm wearing shorts a lot, I'm pretty fond of my Astral Brewers. They were designed by paddling enthusiasts, and they make the best river shoe. They drain water and dry quickly, have a siped sole that is grippy on wet rocks, and look kind of like a skate shoe (I normally knock about in Vans, so I dig their style). I don't like camping in summer heat, but I'll go and spend all day at a creek, river, or waterfall, so the Astral's suit me perfectly for that. For hiking, I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners that are about 15 years old that I still wear.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Hahaha. I'm the opposite. I "overland" to get to the start of my hike, bike, ski, backpack, climb.... I enjoy the journey to that point in the vehicle, but if that's all I did I would go nuts. As much as I love wheels, all wheels, I've had a great year on foot. Trekked to Everest base camp, 18,000 feet in the Peruvian Andes, to the summit of Mt. Washington and half a dozen 14ers, and I'm going to cap off the year with a quick romp down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Feels good to walk sometimes. If you can, you should, at least that's my opinion.
I'm a bit envious of all the time you get to spend on foot in neat places.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Vasque Breeze 2.0 in Goretex are great. Recently went on a 16 mile one day hike without fatigue or blisters.

Danner Extrovert 3" for wearing while driving, hot weather or day hikes.

Bates USMC hot weather RAT boot. For knocking around the desert, hiking to mines and ghost towns, etc.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We only need two type of footwear here, warm weather waterproof and cold weather waterproof. ha ha! rain rain rain!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The appearance issue has been resolved with the La Sportiva Trango Cube Gtx Highlander in Kryptek camo.Perfect boot. Have only found on La Sportivas site or Krypteks site.
I didn't think it was possible, but they made them even more ugly. LOL.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
BTW, if you guys are looking for something very nice for light duty, I spent 18 days in Alaska this month in the new Hanwag Patoja Mid GTX. Really a nice boot. Incredibly light. I did one 8 mile hike in them and they were very, very comfortable. Wore them to dinner a few times, through many hotels and airports, and they not only look nice, they were not overly heavy. They really are crazy light.

On the downside, to get to that weight they are made of rather thin nubuck leather. So, I wouldn't punish them too much or they'll crap out in a hurry. Not a good pack boot for desert terrain since they lack any randing. Anyway, a very nice lightweight travel boot.

http://www.hanwag.com/patoja-mid-gtxr

mscuiletti

Observer
BTW, if you guys are looking for something very nice for light duty, I spent 18 days in Alaska this month in the new Hanwag Patoja Mid GTX. Really a nice boot. Incredibly light. I did one 8 mile hike in them and they were very, very comfortable. Wore them to dinner a few times, through many hotels and airports, and they not only look nice, they were not overly heavy. They really are crazy light.

On the downside, to get to that weight they are made of rather thin nubuck leather. So, I wouldn't punish them too much or they'll crap out in a hurry. Not a good pack boot for desert terrain since they lack any randing. Anyway, a very nice lightweight travel boot.

http://www.hanwag.com/patoja-mid-gtxr

Those look great. I just got back from the Bright Angel and South Kaibob myself, and just used my Hanwag Bergler with a superfeet insole. I have thin feet so the insole helped eliminate excess volume. The Berglers have been great. I never saw myself spending so much for footwear, but a friend gave me a 50% coupon so I couldn't pass it up. In my experience, Hanwag makes an incredible boot, and I expect these to last a very long time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I did Sharptop Mountain in my Keen Saltzman's a couple of weeks ago and a section of the Appalachian Trail at Mount Rogers in my Topo Ultrafly.

Sharptop
vacation2016%20184_zpsummmvcwq.jpg

The wife on the AT being stalked by the infamous ponies...
vacation2016%20928_zpstd4tnsoc.jpg

It's so much easier to hike these areas when the weather is fair. I would've chosen the Durand for both hikes if it was sloppy out.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Vasque Breeze 2.0 in Goretex are great. Recently went on a 16 mile one day hike without fatigue or blisters.

Danner Extrovert 3" for wearing while driving, hot weather or day hikes.

Bates USMC hot weather RAT boot. For knocking around the desert, hiking to mines and ghost towns, etc.

Just spent 4 days in Death Valley and ended up wearing the Danners in camp and for hiking. Very comfy, especially in the hot weather

danner-52110-p_01.jpg

twin_magnolias

Observer
Bill, did you see that the Lems are out in top grain leather now? It figures they'd come out with these right after I got a pair for Christmas. Had I known, I would have waited and sprung for the all leather boots.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill, did you see that the Lems are out in top grain leather now? It figures they'd come out with these right after I got a pair for Christmas. Had I known, I would have waited and sprung for the all leather boots.
Yeah, I got the email from Steve Parna. They look better but the sole is still a little too flexible to hike on stony trails.
My first pair of Boulder Boots are just about done. They got switched to camping shoes after needing ShoeGoo to re-attach the soles. Now they won't stay together.
I'm wearing pair #2 right now. Great shoes for where I work. Excellent grip, comfort, & they're so light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles