Advice Needed:: Tacoma owner considering a ZR2

AlexCold

Observer
I’m pretty happy with my diesel ZR2.

8b672312238998c251b1a2dc078005e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B^2

Observer
I really wish you could get a crew cab long box diesel zr2. I need the extra box space for skis and the crew cab for the kiddo.

B^2

Observer
A bedrack for the skis would certainly be an option but there are times when I like to bring a bunch with me which makes things a little more complicated.

Etoimos

Observer
A bedrack for the skis would certainly be an option but there are times when I like to bring a bunch with me which makes things a little more complicated.

Talk to Nuthouse Industries about their bedrack with removable crossbars. You could get the standard bars and then a set designed to hold a crap ton of skies. They custom build each rack, so can do pretty much anything you can think of... and pay for. lol

OIIIIO

Observer
I own an '18 ext cab diesel ZR2. Had for around four months. I average 22 city, 25 highway with my half rack and rtt. No problems so far. Handles great, and has all the big dollar options I wanted for a competent 4x4.

Attachments

• IMAG0858.jpg
    IMAG0858.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Talk to Nuthouse Industries about their bedrack with removable crossbars. You could get the standard bars and then a set designed to hold a crap ton of skies. They custom build each rack, so can do pretty much anything you can think of... and pay for. lol

Yes, call Tom, he will work with you to make whatever it is you want happen.

RF2200

What is the largest cost of vehicle ownership? Depreciation, it is not even close.

A economically rational person does not buy a truck based on fuel economy. Primary considerations should be initial purchase price, depreciation, financing, expected maintenance/repairs, and tax incentives. True cost to own is almost always lower for a gas-guzzling truck than a diesel-sipping truck.

Rationally, if you want the best off road truck with the best MPG/range, massive aftermarket support, and the best resale you should wait six months and buy the diesel JT Rubicon when it comes out.

Dalko43

Explorer
I wish there was a dislike button on this forum....I disagree with almost everything that you said.

BTW, if you buy a brand new, optioned-out pickup and plan to keep it for an extended duration of time, depreciation will be the single biggest cost of ownership, especially if its gasoline (though that issue is somewhat relevant to new diesels as well). $65k gasoline pickups (referring to the 3/4 ton's offered by the big 3) will depreciate to about half their value after about 4-5 years of ownership. The other costs of ownership (fuel, repairs and upkeep) won't even come close to that amount for that period of ownership.

Last edited:

Etoimos

Observer
A economically rational person does not buy a truck based on fuel economy.

An economically rational person does not buy a new truck. Then the depreciation does not matter anyway.

Rationally, if you want the best off road truck with the best MPG/range, massive aftermarket support, and the best resale you should wait six months and buy the diesel JT Rubicon when it comes out.

That's the truth right there.

Allahades

I just sold my 2005 Xterra (original owner) and picked up a 2018 ZR2 with the V6 gas engine. The Xterra had its share of minor issues over the years but I would definitely describe it as reliable. I have my fingers crossed that the Chevy will be as reliable. Coming from a thirteen year old vehicle, the Colorado feels vastly superior in its design and execution. The Xterra rattled and the rear suspension bottomed out from day one, whereas the Colorado is silent and feels solid on any kind of road. The 8 speed transmission is incredibly smooth and I don't know how I survived without modern conveniences like a backup camera and Apple CarPlay. I also cross-shopped the Tacoma, but the interior of the Tacoma was just too cramped (I'm 6'2"). I've got kids, and the back seat of the Colorado has substantially more leg room than the Tacoma-- 2-3" easily-- while still fitting in my garage. I would have loved a Tacoma, but the cramped interior was a deal killer.

ZR2.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
An economically rational person does not buy a new truck. Then the depreciation does not matter anyway.

That's the truth right there.

Where's the rational in buying someones lemon, and burning PTO time due to break downs?

Etoimos

Observer
Where's the rational in buying someones lemon, and burning PTO time due to break downs?

LOL, who said anything about buying someone else's lemon? I said an economically rational person does not buy a new truck, but instead waits for the depreciation to run its course.

Attachments

• JumpToCon.jpg
    JumpToCon.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz