Advice Needed:: To keep the Taco or not. Terrible economy.

bkg

Explorer
I really don't agree with that math. I'm not sure how lowering the duramax's mpg by 20-25% accounts for the fuel price discrepancy between gasoline and diesel.

It's just rough math. Here in TN, Diesel is about 20% more expensive than Regular unleaded. So to account for the difference in price, I just dropped the mileage a bit on the Dmax to get the like/like spend.

Go look up the prices for the consumables needed for diesel maintenance (DEF, fuel filter, oil and oil filter) and look at the OEM recommended maintenance intervals. And then remember that you still have annual maintenance for the 1gr-fe in the Tacoma (for which the oil change intervals are shorter when compared to the 2.8l duramax). The 1gr-fe also gets a bit below the EPA mpg rating in real-world driving (16 mpg seems to be my combined average).

Depends on some other factors that may need to be considered. Oil changes for my F350 at the dealer is $140. Oil changes for my wife's 4Runner is $50. Add the 15k fuel filter changes and you are at another $150 service. And in some cases, with the sensitivity of the new fuel systems, NOT doing regular filter changes is risky WRT warranty work.

Does it have to be that expensive? No. Of course not. Just depends on what type of "proof" of maintenance one wants to have for dealing with warranty.

Based on the prices I've seen for diesel consumables and accounting for the money I spend on maintenance for my 1gr-fe, you're probably looking at an extra $60-$70 in annual maintenance for the 2.8l duramax. I'm talking about routine maintenance, not worst-case repair scenarios.

I think your number is low. 20k/year will eat through that much just in DEF.

The Duramax has a MSRP cost of ~$3,700 over the gasoline option. I don't know that all diesel Colorado's are actually selling for $3,700 more than their gasoline counterparts, but assuming that they are, you're probably looking at 5-7 years before the diesel option has "paid" for itself. Again, that's a hefty assumption since MSRP prices and costs are rarely the used in actual transactions.

So the diesel option will pay for itself, in the long term. But if the OP has the Tacoma, has it modified and paid off, I don't see a reason to sell it and start incurring monthly bills. If he really wants a diesel Colorado, his best bet is to wait a few years, let some depreciation kick in and pick up a moderately used one.

I have a hard time with the idea that it will pay for itself... I just don't think that math works in this case. I might be wrong - often am - but I challenge the idea that spending an additional $10k to get into the diesel, plus the maintenance and mileage that is likely only 20-25% better than the current truck... will pay for itself. I know my f350 is no where near paying for itself vs. my 2015 Tundra... but it sure as hell makes towing a much nicer experience. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I know my f350 is no where near paying for itself vs. my 2015 Tundra... but it sure as hell makes towing a much nicer experience. :)

It is one of those things, you won't save any money, but if you want it just for the sake of wanting it...get it.

We tend to try and rationalize our wants. Hell, it is only money and we only live once...

To the OP...if you want it...

tenor.gif

kmacafee

Adventurer
Interesting post. I had a 2012 Tacoma with 122,000 miles on it that I loved except for two things -- fuel economy and load capacity. We want a bigger camper and toyed around with putting a flatbed on the truck and getting a FWC for it. I would have a bigger camper but I'd still have atrocious fuel economy and the truck would still exceed the recommended load capacity -- despite an upgraded suspension, air bags etc. So after a long search, I ended up with an extremely good deal on a low mileage gas 2015 Ram 3500 on to which I will put a flatbed and a Bundutec Camper. So far, the truck has exceeded my expectations -- on the first 400 mile trip, I got just over 17 mpg, something I rarely (if ever) got on the Tacoma. And with a sticker stated load capacity of 3850 pounds, I will never have to worry about being overweight. Sure, I have a truck payment for the first time in years but the interest rate is low and I'll pay it off in 2 years.

I love Toyota's but as it has been stated repeatedly on this forum and elsewhere, as a company, they are being left behind by the competition. The Tundra is dated and gets worse mileage than the Tacoma. Sure, they are reliable and hold their value over time, but based on the prices I saw for used domestic trucks, they do as well.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In September of 1994 I purchase a new 1995 Ford F350 Powerstroke crew cab truck. At THAT TIME diesel fuel was CHEAPER than gasoline (20% LESS). The Powerstroke engine option was a $4,000 ADD over the 460 gas engine. Oil changes I have completed myself for all these years (I still own the truck) cost $70 in today's money for a diesel oil change. Same oil change for the 460 gas engine would be $35 in today's money. Cost is double for the diesel or just $35.00 extra! The standard 460 engine would get 8 MPH and the Powerstroke gets 13+ MPG for a 5 MPG + difference.

Doing the math in 1995 I calculated that I would have to drive my new Powerstroke equipped F350 at least 100,000 miles to get the difference in fuel mileage to a BREAK EVEN point by buying the $4,000 Powerstroke engine option versus the 460 gas engine. This is without ANY consideration for the power/torque benefit's provided by the diesel engine. Today some diesel engine options are as much as an $8,000 added cost over the available gas engine on several of today's modern trucks with the diesel engine option.

TODAY diesel fuel is MORE EXPENSIVE than gasoline and you have to add DEF to a diesel equipped truck. The difference in fuel mileage will vary depending upon the type/make/model of truck you choose to do a gas to diesel comparison with general maintenance cost differences still about the same between a gas versus diesel engine truck as it was MANY years ago.

Given the above I believe that the 100,000 mile fuel mileage break even point between diesel and gas engines I "enjoyed" at 100,000 miles in 1995 is NOW approaching 200,000+ miles or MORE for most diesel engine to gas engine fuel mileage comparisons. Having said that Most Original Vehicle Owner's DO NOT KEEP their vehicle for 200,000 miles or more to get anywhere near the break even point between the gas versus diesel engine comparisons. Most original vehicle owner's have good intentions to keep their new vehicle "Forever" HOWEVER the reality is that RARELY HAPPENS!

I currently own 3 diesel engine equipped PU trucks and 3 gas equipped PU trucks. I currently daily drive a 2001 Dodge Cummins diesel truck that gets 20+ MPG running around town. This truck REPLACED my previous daily driver GAS 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4WD truck that got 16 MPG. Given the cost difference for fuel between gas and diesel for these 2 vehicles my fuel cost is still the SAME now that I am daily driving the 2001 Dodge Diesel which is a much more capable truck for "MY" needs than was the 2004 Nissan Frontier I previously drove.

The point of all my BS listed above is simple:

As other's have said above buy a diesel engine equipped truck because you truly NEED the benefits the diesel engine will provide from a performance and pulling aspect.

QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE FUEL MILEAGE difference between a gas or diesel equipped truck and get on with life!

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
It's just rough math. Here in TN, Diesel is about 20% more expensive than Regular unleaded. So to account for the difference in price, I just dropped the mileage a bit on the Dmax to get the like/like spend.

That's not an accurate method. It's far easier just to put in the actual fuel prices and run the actual numbers based on combined mpg's and annual mileage.

Depends on some other factors that may need to be considered. Oil changes for my F350 at the dealer is $140. Oil changes for my wife's 4Runner is $50. Add the 15k fuel filter changes and you are at another $150 service. And in some cases, with the sensitivity of the new fuel systems, NOT doing regular filter changes is risky WRT warranty work.

Dealership maintenance is hit or miss and often varies from one shop to the next. Ford dealers in particular are known to charge high prices for their services. And moreover, the F350 is a bigger truck with a bigger engine, so maintenance will cost more relative to the 2.8l duramax Colorado. To make the comparison as apples-to-apples as possible, exclude dealership labor costs (these jobs are easy DIY's anyhow) and look at the pricing for the actual parts and consumables.

My 4runner requires at least 2, if not 3 (when going by the exact OEM recommendations), oil changes over 15k miles of annual driving. That's ~$100-$110 of DIY maintenance.

Over the same mileage, the Colorado with the Duramax requires DEF, 2 oil and filter changes, and fuel filter change only happens every 30k-37k miles (assume half that cost for 15k miles of driving). You're looking at about $160-$170 worth of parts and consumables.

The difference in annual maintenance costs (which everyone tends to blow out of proportion) is ~$60-$70, depending on the prices you find for parts. My numbers are derived from looking at actual prices for these things and accounting for OEM maintenance intervals and reported DEF usage.

I have a hard time with the idea that it will pay for itself... I just don't think that math works in this case. I might be wrong - often am - but I challenge the idea that spending an additional $10k to get into the diesel, plus the maintenance and mileage that is likely only 20-25% better than the current truck... will pay for itself. I know my f350 is no where near paying for itself vs. my 2015 Tundra... but it sure as hell makes towing a much nicer experience. :)

I did agree that the OP would be better off sticking with his Tacoma since it is paid off. If he wants better mpg, he needs to take some of the modifications off.

When I said that the 2.8l Duramax "pays for itself" in the long term, I meant that over a 5-7 year horizon the better fuel efficiency will pay for the $3,700 MSRP cost of the diesel, even in spite of the greater fuel prices and maintenance associated with that engine option. I wouldn't expect a F350 to "pay for itself" when compared to a Tundra; you're talking about completely different categories of trucks. Comparing a Tundra to a Ram 1500 ecodiesel or the upcoming F-150 diesel might be a different story. But you have to run the numbers to confirm or disprove that instead of relying on lazy math.

With all that said, the OP did say he is looking to do a lot of long highway drives in the near future. If he were to sell his Tacoma and buy a diesel Colorado and leave it stock, the better fuel efficiency could very well pay for the cost of transition. I don't know that for sure, but he could run the numbers and check that himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

Clutch

<---Pass
With all that said, the OP did say he is looking to do a lot of long highway drives in the near future.

Shoot might be better off trading it in on a Prius...dealer might owe him money...that he could use to pay for fuel.

Reactions: bkg

TripLeader

Explorer
If MPGs is your concern, don't sell one truck for another. (Especially one that is paid off.) You'll probably end up with less than 20 MPGs by the time you outfit a Chevy Colorado the way you want it.

JLee

Adventurer
With fuel prices from here: https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/
MPG data from Car & Driver and the OP
DEF usage from a forum thread
DEF cost from Autozone
Oil change cost estimated (https://www.idparts.com/chevrolet-colorado-diesel-oil-change-kit-p-5518.html) and guessed $40 for Taco

I've probably missed a few things, but if someone feels like correcting it I can update the sheet. This is assuming one oil change, probably should be two but I'm heading out for lunch and don't have time to fix it. :D

23KyccS.png

McFly2003

Adventurer
A lot of great conversation in here. I do know that removing some of my mods would help with my economy. That said, I have made the mods that I have for specific reasons based on past experience and my needs. They suit what I need and are the best balance I have been able to find between daily driving and weekend exploring. The reason I have narrowed my considerations down to the ZR2 diesel is that as it comes stock, it can almost do exactly what I'd need out of it, and even with minor modifications (research based on info provided from current modified owners), it will still yield me 10-15 more mpg that I am currently getting. I have yet to really do a cost analysis on whether or not this is worth it, but it sure sounds tempting.

Looking at maintenance, I would have a fair bit of learning to do. I typically do all of my own work, outside of warranty an TSB stuff, and have been working on gas engines for years. I've never touched a diesel. I feel it is also worth mentioning that most of the info I have found about making the duramax more efficient and reliable centers around doing a full delete and a tune. These two things would void the warranty and make the truck essentially illegal. Go figure, Chevy's ECU keeps a log of all programs run through it so even if you were to return it to a stock tune before service, they could still, in theory, see the modification.

I have also toyed with getting a daily. I have an '05 mazdaspeed mx-5 that I will be shipping to my next duty station (Sacramento or Grand Forks). While I love that car, it leaves a bit to be desired in the realm of a daily driver as I am 6'1 and 200lbs.

Funny to see someone mention a Grom. I have been considering one of these for a while now as a toy. I currently ride an R nineT as my fair-weather fuel saver.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
DEF cost from Autozone
Oil change cost estimated (https://www.idparts.com/chevrolet-colorado-diesel-oil-change-kit-p-5518.html) and guessed $40 for Taco

I've probably missed a few things, but if someone feels like correcting it I can update the sheet. This is assuming one oil change, probably should be two but I'm heading out for lunch and don't have time to fix it. :D

23KyccS.png
There ya go.

$700/year difference operating cost OR about $60/month more out of your pocket TO OPERATE the old Tacoma versus a new Chevrolet Colorado diesel.

Please tell us all what we are missing if $60/month extra out of pocket each month for fuel and operating expenses is cheaper than buying a new truck with ALL the additional costs that go along with it?

Better stated:

If $60/month is that big a deal in anybody's world on this forum they have FAR BIGGER PROBLEMS in life than deciding if they should consider trading PU trucks!

McFly2003

Adventurer
DEF cost from Autozone

23KyccS.png
Thank you! This is a great visual. I'm still looking around for a good idea of maintenance and cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000