Advice on ADD/Adventure Driven Design & Siberian Bushings

Hi guys,

As the title states,

this thread came up when searching: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/caution-avoid-adventure-driven-designs-in-az.222656/

Has anyone dealt with ADD recently and would you recommend them? They seem like the go to Montero/Pajero guys for After Market Upgraded Parts?

I'm specifically looking at their:

- Body Lift Kit
- HD Adjustable Panhard Bar
- Chromoly Ball Joint Kit
- Chromoly Idler Kingpin Kit
- Chromoly Idler Arm assembly
- Chromoly Pitman Arm Kit

Possibly the Bilstein 5100 shocks as well?' Would you recommend?

Then,

I'm also looking at replacing all the suspension bushings on my car, has anyone used Siberian Bushings and if you have what are your thoughts? Are there any other alternatives other than them or oem? Terrain Tamer possibly?
My VIN no doesn't seem to work on their site, can anyone confirm whether I should be looking at the V46W Pajero/Montero Bushings? My Car is a 1999 LWB Blister Fender NL Pajero/Montero 2.8 TDI, should be the same components as the V6...

Any alternatives to ADD for the other parts I mentioned?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!!!?

Attachments

• Sequence 01.00_05_47_05.Still029.jpg
    Sequence 01.00_05_47_05.Still029.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 10

ARDOR

Luso would be a far better resource.

Siberian bushings are well regarded and can be ordered directly from their site. Based on USDM Gen 2.5 VIN #s, they're known as V45W chassis, I'm not certain what differences there may or may not be between yours.

You can use VIN# JA4MR51R3WJ002825 from this used listing for a 1998 Gen 2.5 to compare parts #s on partsouq.com, https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JA4MR51R3WJ002825

That said, the Poly-Tuff bushings Luso sells are also reported as being real solid units and he holds US inventory.

If you're going to have to contend w/international shipping anyway, there is a fair bit of aftermarket support for these trucks in the Australian market if you search for Pajero. It would be worth looking into their forums and supply/part sources.

As for US sources for the other parts you've listed...

- Body Lift Kit
This is the original source and much cheaper and more customizable than ADD - https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/MonteroBodyLift.shtml

Any half decent local off road or fab shop can build you one that's significantly stronger and for much less than what ADD charges, it's about as simple as it gets, a length of DOM tube w/two heim joints welded on the ends.

- Chromoly Ball Joint Kit -

These are nothing more than marked up ProForged units and not considered much of an upgrade by many, no stronger or more durable than stock. The prevailing wisdom is stick to OEM, try partsouq.com, amayama.com, megazip.net, etc.

-Chromoly Idler Kingpin Kit
Watch this video by @Toasty, who developed that product before leaving ADD. They're not much of an improvement and you'd be better served and save some significant $$$ rebuilding an OEM unit w/poly bushings from Luso. - https://lusooverland.com/montero-gen2-sport-idler-arm-bushing-kit/
/

Everyone seems to have their own opinion and reasons for the shocks they like and/or run; ultimately, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

ChrisCosta416

Like @na3s said. The "chromoly" are just rebranded pro-forged units and are not good. Go with OEM for the ball joints. FYI most ball joints components that use ball joints are made with chromoly, so its just marketing talk.

The 5100s are not valved for the truck. I believe the only "Custom" thing about them are different eyelet bushings.

Body lift and stainless steel skids are good

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Hi guys,

As the title states,

this thread came up when searching: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/caution-avoid-adventure-driven-designs-in-az.222656/

Has anyone dealt with ADD recently and would you recommend them? They seem like the go to Montero/Pajero guys for After Market Upgraded Parts?

I'm specifically looking at their:

- Body Lift Kit
- Chromoly Ball Joint Kit
- Chromoly Idler Kingpin Kit

Then,

I'm also looking at replacing all the suspension bushings on my car, has anyone used Siberian Bushings and if you have what are your thoughts? Are there any other alternatives other than them or oem? Terrain Tamer possibly?
My VIN no doesn't seem to work on their site, can anyone confirm whether I should be looking at the V46W Pajero/Montero Bushings? My Car is a 1999 LWB Blister Fender NL Pajero/Montero 2.8 TDI, should be the same components as the V6...

Any alternatives to ADD for the other parts I mentioned?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!!!?
Are all your bushings fried? I’ve only ever replaced the upper control arm bushings on my truck, and then just recently the (front) trailing arm doughnuts. Even when I had the trailing arms off, I inspected the rear bushings on it and they looked fine. Why make work? My truck holds an alignment and runs straight down the road and handles like new. I’m the second owner of a family hand me down so I know what I haven’t touched is original 1998 stuff. Remarkable how long they are lasting.

You can piece together a body lift for a lot cheaper, they're literally just blocks. I think I paid $40 for 2" blocks (Zone Offroad 2296) and bought extended bolts and new nuts/washers from the hardware store for around $7.
Also, if you want to lift the rear higher to level with cranked torsion bars, the coil spacers for 01-06 Toyota Sequoia's fit perfectly on the Montero rear coils, Daystar KT09111BK for example. I got about 3.75"-4" of lift and paid less than $150 total, clears 35x12.50's without rubbing.

Thanks so much to all the replies everyone! Really appreciate it!

@na3s
Thanks!
Will have a look at Luso, completely forgot about them.
Really appreciate the detailed response and alternatives, I definitely think I will go OEM+Luso for the Idler Arms, and OEM wherever else I can, i.e ball joints etc. Also I will get an adjustable Panhard bar fabbed up.
???

@ChrisCosta416 Thank you! Yes I reckon I will go OEM then!

@Salonika They have seen better days, not fried, but not fresh. I'm on a mission to get my suspension 100% and feeling new. The truck drives great, don't get me wrong, but I just want it to be perfect.

@MummifiedCircuitry I have Ironman Torsion Bars up front and GQ Patrol OEM springs Rear (3"Lift, perfect Fit), feels really nice. Yeah the body lift seems simple enough, will look at 4crawler or make my own, thanks!

I have a question regarding the Bilstein 5100's, are they not bolt on/drop in upgrade replacements? As in, do they require modifications to fit? @ChrisCosta416 why do the need different eyelet bushings?

Thanks!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I also recommend Luso Overland, he actually has parts in stock ready to ship. I've gotten tons of stuff from him over the years, he even bought all of the Toasty fab and Montero Collective stickers up front to help get them out there. Marco is a solid dude.

I also recommend Luso Overland, he actually has parts in stock ready to ship. I've gotten tons of stuff from him over the years, he even bought all of the Toasty fab and Montero Collective stickers up front to help get them out there. Marco is a solid dude.
Thanks, definitely seems the way to go (y)

ChrisCosta416

@na3s
Thanks!
Really appreciate the detailed response and alternatives, I definitely think I will go OEM+Luso for the Idler Arms, and OEM wherever else I can, i.e ball joints etc. Also I will get an adjustable Panhard bar fabbed up.
???

@Salonika They have seen better days, not fried, but not fresh. I'm on a mission to get my suspension 100% and feeling new. The truck drives great, don't get me wrong, but I just want it to be perfect.

@MummifiedCircuitry I have Ironman Torsion Bars up front and GQ Patrol OEM springs Rear (3"Lift, perfect Fit), feels really nice. Yeah the body lift seems simple enough, will look at 4crawler or make my own, thanks!

I have a question regarding the Bilstein 5100's, are they not bolt on/drop in upgrade replacements? As in, do they require modifications to fit? @ChrisCosta416 why do the need different eyelet bushings?

Thanks!
The shocks ADD sells from their long travel kit are meant for an F-150 pickup. ADD just slaps their sticker over the part number and change the bushings to fit a Montero.

@na3s
Thanks!
???

Thanks!
The shocks ADD sells from their long travel kit are meant for an F-150 pickup. ADD just slaps their sticker over the part number and change the bushings to fit a Montero.

So in regards to this, if you order Bilstein 5100 shocks for the Montero/Pajero, do they require different bushings, or are they correct and bolt on?

Cruisn

Adventurer
I have no idea what the bilstien 5100s are, but if your looking for an offroad shock for offroad touring, not racing, then look into a set of tough dog foam cells in the 41mm size. I love them and the wagon rides so smooth on and offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior