Advice on buying a Land Cruiser

Kirby999

Hello all,
This is my first post on here, so I wasn't too sure where to post this but....

I'm looking into getting into overlanding and have found a 1998 Land Cruiser for sale that I am very interested in buying.
I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not this would be a good purchase or some money thrown down the drain, so here are the details:
-1998 Land Cruiser- $7,500
-181,000 miles
-3 owners
-claims to have good service records
-needs A/C compressor, timing belt, and water pump done within the next 20,000 miles
That's all I know about the car, it looks good and seems to be in descent condition. I'm hoping that anyone on here can give me some guidance as well as what I should look for for future reference.
Thank You!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Hello all,
This is my first post on here, so I wasn't too sure where to post this but....

I'm looking into getting into overlanding and have found a 1998 Land Cruiser for sale that I am very interested in buying.
I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not this would be a good purchase or some money thrown down the drain, so here are the details:
-1998 Land Cruiser- $7,500
-181,000 miles
-3 owners
-claims to have good service records
-needs A/C compressor, timing belt, and water pump done within the next 20,000 miles
That's all I know about the car, it looks good and seems to be in descent condition. I'm hoping that anyone on here can give me some guidance as well as what I should look for for future reference.
Thank You!

Based on the limited info you provided I would keep looking. If a LC/LX has been maintained correctly they just start living the good life at 200K.

Check out slee off road LC buyers guide. If you are new to LC spend the few dollars and have a dealership evaluate it prior to purchase. You will know what you are in for going forward and the status. Makes for a great bargaining tool.

4Beast

Observer
It doesn't sound too bad. It really depends on the condition, I've seen some that are beat to crap, either offroad, or with dozens of kids, or rusted beyond recognition, and I've seen some that look showroom after 20 years. Needing a TB in 20k isn't bad, but does indicate that they waited a long time for the first change (20k over+/-). I would definitely pay for a pre purchase inspection to check the various components, if you aren't comfortable doing so. They are great vehicles for overlanding, either on your own or with a couple or family, depending on how you set it up, but can get annoyingly expensive if you have to do some big items all at once. If you are going to modify it anyway, you can get one with mods already completed that could be cheaper than having them done yourself (although spending money on that crap is some people's hobby).

Deshet

Adventurer
I would sell my rust free 1999 for that with rear locker.
I would also have the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner done before purchase.
Never been off-road.

The only issue it has is the front seat bottoms should be recovered.

230,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier