Advice On How To Import My Troopcarrier?

JonoTroopy

Any advice out there for importing my Troopy from Australia? It's an 1989 H2 engine. Going to bring it to Colorado, USA.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I cannot help with the import. But I can offer some advice on the 2H. Be prepared to be the most constipated vehicle in Colorado. You will never pass anything. Only thing slower was a 4cylinder diesel hilux with the mining rollcage.

I used to run a fleet of Toyota tray backs with the 2H. Never any troubles except for glow plug relays that would vibrate on over corrugated roads (washboard). Also I would suggest adding a low water alarm to the radiator. We lost more engines to sticks through the radiator/hoses than any other problem.

plh

Explorer
an '89 should be easily do-able. Assume you mean, import re-title and license in USA. A Pretty much anything over 25 year old from the DAY of build (not model year) can be done unless its California in some cases. Not sure how particular Colorado is on emissions testing thou. Google it.

Megacruisers

First, take heed on the engine warning above - discouraging to get it here & hate it. That being said, get a broker, make sure seller can deliver to port & you can arrange shipping - I have some names if interested

C p weinberger

Owed two cruisers with 2H engines when I lived in Africa. 10 yrs driving experience. Africa spec. Pickup and hardtop, Loved them.
1. If you monitor/ keep engine cooling system clean it will go forever. Head doesn’t like overheating
2. Awesome Bush truck.
3. Death trap of the highway, Trying to pass slow trucks on two lane roads gave me a lot of the gray hairs I currently have. Not sure how you deal with that here in the states.
Enjoy the ride ?

cbmontgo

Observer
I’ve got a 1983 HJ47 (with the 2H) in Colorado. Does just fine as long as you are patient, like any old Cruiser.

Mine was imported by austousa on ih8mud. He’s solid and knows the Aussie importing deal.

Rufus T. Doofus

The import process is fairly straightforward but you're much better off using a broker that specializes in this kind of thing. It might cost you $500 to $750 in brokerage fees but it will save you so much time and aggravation learning the process.

Are you in AU or have someone there that can handle the export paperwork? If the paperwork from the exporter isn't completed properly it could complicate the process when the truck lands in a port in the USA.

I've imported 2 Cruisers. The first was a BJ42 from Auckand. The second was an HJ45 Troopy from Brisbane. Learning the import process for the BJ42 was a real PITA. And it arrived with incomplete paperwork. I ended up paying storage fees to Customs in Baltimore while I sorted out the paperwork. After that fiasco I decided to use a broker for the Troopy that came from Brisbane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94