advice on installing offroad lights (routing wiring) on roofrack

sweet trav

Adventurer
as the title says I'm trying to find resources for how I should run the wiring to my 4 offroad lights on my roof rack. It seems as though drilling a hole in the roof and running the wires down the drivers side front pillar is the most popular option but I wanted to check out all my options before I start drilling holes in my roof. I'd appreciate any info, suggestions, and/or pics. Thanks!

T

BTW-I have a 3rd gen (96) 4runner

seanz0rz

Adventurer
here is how i did mine with out drilling any holes:

ran wire out the inner fender into the wheel well and then up the A pillar weather striping:
IMG_2687.jpg

then, above the rear door, i turned it and came up to the rack. i used heat shrink to bundle the two wires together and to keep it clean:
IMG_2686.jpg

it's a pretty good solution to your problem without drilling holes. personally i have outgrown the need for two wires, so soon i will actually be dropping the headliner and cutting a hole for a larger power and ground wire, plus some cat5 to control a relay box for separate circuits for front, rear, and side facing lights.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
ill have a full writeup on it probably in september. looking to finish some more mechanical things before i get back into the wiring.

basically using the twisted pairs to activate relays on the roof, distributing power to my KC lights, and to future LED flood lights on the other 3 sides.

sweet trav

Adventurer
ok, thanks! I'm gonna consider running my wiring the same (or similar) way so as to not have to drill holes in the roof that I might not want later. Any issues with wiring getting caught on stuff (branches, etc.) that scrape by your vehicel when offroading?

TittySprinkles

I could never figure out why people are so afraid to drill holes in the roof. Your roof has a ton of holes in it (3rd gen roof rack), and they aren't even sealed very well (flimsy plastic grommets that get brittle and will eventually leak).

All I did to route my wires was remove the front and rear end caps from the roof rack, enlarge the holes, drill a few for bolts and use a nifty fitting called a SureSeal (you can get free samples from their website). FAR more waterproof than the original plastic grommet when you silicone the female side in.

Makes it very easy to remove the rack, too. You could put these fittings at all four corners of the rack if you want. I have 4 wire fittings front and rear on the driver's side with zero leaks.

IMG_1626.jpg

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I have 4 Hella 550s facing forward and 2 550s facing rearward. Ran the wires along the roof rack to meet above the driver's side rear passenger door. The wires were then snaked behind the rubber window gasket and followed it forward then down the pillar (still behind the rubber weather gasket) and then into the engine compartment.

Here's a pic of the wires from my lights on the rack going into the weather strip around the doors.

Wiring2.jpg

A close up of the wires going into the gasket.

Wiring.jpg

My switches:

Switches.jpg

seanz0rz

Adventurer
I could never figure out why people are so afraid to drill holes in the roof. Your roof has a ton of holes in it (3rd gen roof rack), and they aren't even sealed very well (flimsy plastic grommets that get brittle and will eventually leak).

i installed mine many years ago, when i was still afraid of putting a hole through the roof. at the time, there was a desire to keep the mods as reversible as possible. im long done with that stage!

dyogim

Explorer
I don't have a runner but on my tundra....

...I ran my power wire from the lights on the roof rack along the rain gutter and down the windshield weather stripping. This was easier for me rather than having to go through the headliner down the a-pillar and through the fire wall to connect to the relay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior