Advice on purchasing a truck shell?

chet6.7

Explorer
I don't know anything about this,it something I was thinking about.If the Vagabond Drifter comes out with barn doors I may go that way instead.
3000 Series Camper Shell Truck Rack

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm a cheap SOB so I always try to buy used first. Color matched is nice but is it worth the extra $1500 over a ~ $500 used topper? It isn't to me, but it might be to you.
Many newer toppers have curved all-glass rear liftgates. They look slick but be warned, they are hella expensive to replace. I prefer the cheaper style that uses an aluminum frame around the rear window which is a flat piece of glass. That way a broken window can be easily replaced by any glass shop for a reasonable cost.

WRT cargo, I have seen the ladder racks that are made to be used with toppers - just consider that the rack itself might weigh close to 100lbs so that's going to cut into your total cargo capacity. Then put an RTT on top and you're putting a lot of weight up really high.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Color matched is nice but is it worth the extra $1500 over a ~ $500 used topper? It isn't to me, but it might be to you.

I found a used SnugTop Rebel for my Tundra for $600, paid a body shop $300 to change color from silver to white, can't tell it from a new $2K shell. CraigsList is your friend for this stuff.

djm68

Observer
I researched getting a camper shell for my 2012 Tacoma quite extensively and, being an engineer, I was fairly stuck in state of 'analysis-paralysis' with all the brands, options, etc. I started perusing craigslist and found a Snugtop 'hi-liner', same color as my truck, about 100 mile trip away, and picked it up for $800. New it would have cost $2200+. While it was not in perfect condition (minor scratch...on the top!) and needed new gas struts ($20-ish on amazon, 5 mins fix). Turns out the shell I 'needed' was the one that was available locally. As others have suggested, start looking at your local CL ads.

DJM

I’m a fan of camping/sleeping under a truck shell. Recently purchased a Leer 122 hi-rise for the Chevy longbed. Unimpressed. I had them delete the “bay” windows to prevent them breaking as the truck bed flexes offroad; kept the sliders from center to front of shell. When I park the truck in my driveway, which has a MILD side slope, the shell flexes enough to prevent the rear window hatch from opening smoothly. Washboard roads cause the shell to slide back on the rails. I could pin it with a couple of bolts but there goes any warranty. Speaking of warranty, the headliner was not glued down sufficiently in the area of the deleted bay windows. Crickets from the factory, my dealer ended up trying to fix the issue. I’m sure the hi-rise has something to do with all of this but, geez...

On the other hand, had a Snugtop cab-hi on my Dodge for 18 years, which saw much more rough usage. No problems EVER. Just felt more solid than the Leer. Ironically, both companies are now under the same umbrella corporation TAG...Truck Accessory Group. Hope they keep up the excellent quality of Snugtop and improve on the quality of Leer. YMMV.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
All three of my trucks have SnugTops on them, 20 years, 13 years, and four years. SnugTop quality has been excellent and their customer service absolutely sucks. They refer everything to their often inept dealers, even simple questions.

Tebirds55

I just bought a used a.r.e. mx series with the large door in rear off craigslist. I got it for $300, but had to buy some shocks for the door, one handle, and had it painted to match truck. I've got about $700 in it and brand new they are $3500. It took a few months searching craigslist to find what I wanted and that was within an hours drive for me. This was the third one I bought on CL and they were all "cheap". I but the first I've had painted, I think the painter did a better job than a.r.e. does. He color matched it perfectly to my truck. I also love the big back door, it cuts down the reach into the truck by almost 3 feet. that's great for us shorter people. IMG_3023 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 33

Tebirds55

so far I like it a lot.
pros: you can just open the small door and throw a bag into or let the dog in.
you can reach everything in the bed more easily.
cons: you wouldn't be able to haul long items or lumber
it's a lot harder to remove and set aside

XJLI

Adventurer
I have a Leer 100XL on my truck, probably been on it since it was new in '05. Going fast down washboard roads, flexing, etc, no problems. Just pulled it off a few weeks ago because the original seals were finally letting water in and I replaced all the foam stuff with rubber. If I had a choice now, I'd buy the slightly taller cap for more headroom camping (and load height when hauling). I love the huge deep tinted windows that screw out and full length screens.

WDGPMSNh.jpg

nickys68chevy

after a year of checking craigslist everyday, i found am 8 foot long 29"tall a.r.e. DCU topper with the barn doors for $150. i removed the lettering and paint from the side windoors and the back doors. put in a fold away split queen mattress and made velcro screens for the sides. at some point it will get an exhaust fan/blower that vents out one of the back doors.

Attachments

• 20180319_075406.jpg
    20180319_075406.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20180904_124949.jpg
    20180904_124949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51

Pnwfullsize

I looked for well over a year to find a used cap. When I couldn't, I sprung for a new ARE MX HD series. The HD series has crossbas that pass through the shell and mount to a rack system that is supported by the bed rails. 550lb load rating. I have my RTT up there with no issues. It's nice peace of mind knowing my fiberglass isnt supporting any of the weight plus you can use the rack inside to mount things. IMG_20181010_194119_081.jpg20181211_221648.jpg

herm

Adventurer
i just picked up an ATC Colorado for my 15 GMC 1/2 ton. it has a honeycomb reinforced roof and only hit me for about 1400. Adding rails will not void the warrenty. I looked and and loved the frame in the ARE but it was about 3x the price. We only plan on putting a box for skiis on the roof though. the finish is nice, the interior is carpet lined and everything fits very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles