Advice-Yaesu VX-7R

mightymike

Adventurer
I'm taking my Technician Class exam this Saturday and I am considering buying the Yaesu VX-7R for my first radio. This will be followed by a mobile unit in the future but my reasons for buying a HT first are:

Backpacking, kayaking, hunting and camping-can have it with me for emergencies when I am not near my vehicle and out of cell phone coverage.

I am going to see if I can have the Marine VHF frequencies enabled on this radio (I've been told that I can and that it is legal, although it would void the warranty). We are frequently at the coast and it would be a nice back-up for the VHF mounted in the boat.

I will be able to listen to a HT much more than I could listen to a mobile unit, and I realize that listening is a big part of the learning process.

We have pretty good repeater coverage in my local area. Any thoughts on this logic and the VX-7R in particular?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have used one for quite a while now. I like it.

Cons: Battery life is greatly reduced while scanning. I get about 12 hours life.
The knob on the top is weak. Mine had to be replaced after a short drop to a hard floor. That was an $80 learning experience. I worry about the small antenna connection, but it has not been a problem.
It gets hot. When used alot it gets warm and when exposed to the sun a little it gets warm in a hurry. Mine is silver. I can not imagine how hot the black model must get.
Swivel belt clip is worthless.
It does get some periodic intermod. Irritating , but tolerable.

Pros: Tough radio. I am hard on things and this has survived. That magnesium case is a blessing.
Waterproof. If it needs to be cooled down or washed off, dunk it.
Nice size. It will fit in a pocket.
Dual band rocks.
Easily programmed and modded.

What you need:
Programming software- http://www.kc8unj.com/
This will not only be useful for programming frequencies, but it also mods to open up the TX capabilities. I am a volunteer firefighter and work for a government regulated facility. Having both their frequencies available has been useful. Carrying three radios is not really an option most of the time. Very nice software to use. I highly recommend it. The support is there if needed to. I had a cable problem that I thought was software related. He helped me through it.

Cables: http://www.ttl2usb.com/
You will need the Yeasu CT-91 cable that screws into the mike port too.
They have changed this a little since I bought mine. My cables are connected to the box internally.

I think this is a good radio and will do what you need, but do consider a mobile unit. There is a world of difference in the sound quality while driving. The reception of a fixed antenna on the roof is much better. Even with a portable external mic/speaker, I can't see comfortable use in a vehicle long term.
Get this one and wet your feet , so to speak. Then save up for the Yaesu FT-8800R. The USB cable will work for both and than download Jim Mitchells software and you are good to go.

I'll be happy to help where ever I can. Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
I have a older brother the vxr2 and love it. The problem with the micro sized radio is they are small. For an emergency radio having a little low powered radio with impossible to remember key strokes to set a freq is not good.

You cant use a speaker mic without a dongle, you need to get a BNC adaptor and you cant use AA batteries for the unit.

Its what it is, a small all band RX, dual band ham radio.

RoundOut

Explorer
Vx-7r

That is the radio that we went with as our first radio, for the same reasons. I was real disappointed at first, as I expected a bit more conversation on the repeaters in our major metro area. We had almost no reception using the rubber duck antenna that came with it. Then I bought a $17 external antenna and it was night and day. Using the external antenna, brought in all kinds of signals that could not previously be received. We had +/- 10 mile range clear as day, too.

I like the built in weather bands, too. We bought the barometer/temperature chip for it, too. That is a pretty cool feature for hikers.

The menus are a bit cumbersome for a new HAM operator, though. There is lots to learn and understand. The radio has way more features than we will probably ever use.

If you plan to program it, you may wish to purchase the adapter and software, or at least the adapter and download free software. Programming is pretty simple, if you can follow the software directions. Most HAM retailers will help you get started by programming the repeaters in your local area for you, but if you get it on the internet like we did, you won't get that same help unless you join a local club.

One day we'll get a nice mobile unit for the truck, too. For now though, the HT and external antenna will do just fine.

Enjoy.

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks for the input-I want to make sure I do everyting legal and proper so I will check on the Marine VHF additions before doing so. I will also check on the programming software-that sounds like a good idea. It looks like this model has enough memory so I can program repeater frequencies prior to taking a trip. We're going to Colorado in June and plan to hike a few "fourteeners" and I am curious if I can hit any repeaters from that altitude even though I will be in a remote area.

Does anyone know of mobile unit that is designed to be switched from one vehicle to another or to a base unit?

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
NO checking require, the radio is not legal on any frequencys except ham bands. No marine, no police, fire. No CAP nor is it valid on MAR's freq.

The VX7r is only a ham radio.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
gary in ohio said:
NO checking require, the radio is not legal on any frequencys except ham bands. No marine, no police, fire. No CAP nor is it valid on MAR's freq.

The VX7r is only a ham radio.
I could certainly be wrong, I'm no MARS expert. But it was explained to me by the MARS guys I know that if you hold a valid MARS certificate, then you can use any Type 95 radio capable of MARS frequencies. I do know that you must use a CAP-approved radio for CAP, so no ham radio is legal to use on CAP. But I did think a MARS operator is allowed to use a modified ham radio for MARS frequencies.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
MARS, military affiliated radio service, CAP civil air patrol.

Your correct you can use any certified part 95 radio, but ham radio are not part 95 or for that matter part 97 certified. Ham radio's get part 15 certification for there receiver, not the transmitter. Both CAP and MARS has been phasing out ham gear, there is little gear left that is legal, mainly HF. The VHF and UHF radio's are no longer certified since they need to meet narrow band NITA conformation.

Gary

DaveInDenver

mightymike said:
OK-I give. MARS and CAP?
MARS = Military Affiliate Radio System
CAP = Civil Air Patrol

Basically MARS is a range of frequencies that servicemen and women can use much like civilian hams. You probably have heard of the CAP.

DaveInDenver

gary in ohio said:
MARS, military affiliated radio service, CAP civil air patrol.

Your correct you can use any certified part 95 radio, but ham radio are not part 95 or for that matter part 97 certified. Ham radio's get part 15 certification for there receiver, not the transmitter. Both CAP and MARS has been phasing out ham gear, there is little gear left that is legal, mainly HF. The VHF and UHF radio's are no longer certified since they need to meet narrow band NITA conformation.

Gary
My bad, Part 97 is ham, not 95. I'm not sure I understand what Part 15 has to do with it. Isn't that the section that deals with interference, unintentional and intentional low powered transmitters? BTW, what's NITA? I've heard of NTIA (National Telecom & Information Administration), but am clueless what NITA means. I'm really not involved with the EMI/EMC compliance at work, so I'm way out of my element and am just wondering.

Last edited:

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks-I was wondering if CAP was for the Civil Air Patrol-I was a cadet a long time ago. I was not aware of the MARS program.

My exam is Saturday-I'll keep everyone posted.

gary in ohio

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
I'm not sure I understand what Part 15 has to do with it. Isn't that the section that deals with interference, unintentional and intentional low powered transmitters? BTW, what's NITA? I've heard of NTIA (National Telecom & Information Administration), but am clueless what NITA means. I'm really not involved with the EMI/EMC compliance at work, so I'm way out of my element and am just wondering.

EVERYTHING electronic needs a part 15 certification to be sold in the US. Since ham gear has no "transmitter" certification, it must still meet part 15 recevier, interference guidlines. A little dislexic on the acronyms. NTIA. They have set government radio standards and are moving all goverment radios to narrow band spacing. This narrow band requires compliant radio's Here is a CAP site with info https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/equipment.cfm Mars is going to a similar standard.

DaveInDenver

gary in ohio said:
EVERYTHING electronic needs a part 15 certification to be sold in the US. Since ham gear has no "transmitter" certification, it must still meet part 15 recevier, interference guidlines.
I know that all electronics need a Part 15 certification, but I was just wondering how it related specifically to the MARS, CAP, ham question. I figured Part 97.307, 97.315, 97.317 would be what the FCC tested ham equipment to, which defines the spurious noise and type acceptance for ham. Like I say, I'm not responsible for EM testing here, they tell me we need to reduce our susceptibility or reduce our EMI conductance and we tell the enclosure guys where they can find a chassis ground. So, I hear talk about this stuff and have wondered how it all related to ham. People talk about Part 95, Part 97 type acceptance and I've always wondered just what all that meant. I mean, why can't we use a Part 95 radio that meets the spec? Just because it's not type approved for ham, which seems arbitrary. Sorry for the thread drift, but Gary seems very knowledgeable in the FCC regs, so I assumed he's done some FCC approval testing and I'm just trying to get it straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior