Advise on spots to fly fish between Aspen and Silverton

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Hi,
I will be headed out to Silverton on a 9 day guy trip. We will be traveling from Indiana in a stock DC tacoma on "e" range tires. We would like to fly fish across Colorado and then base camp in the Silverton area.

Any advise on spot to fish or trails to run?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Martin

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I spent a few weeks in Colorado last summer, and was thoroughly disgusted with the fishing conditions. I grew up fly fishing all over the front range, but haven't fished there in nearly two decades - so I was looking forward to revisiting some of the places I fished as a kid. I didn't have a whole lot of time for it - but figured I would be able to get a few hours in one afternoon & the following morning.

Unfortunately, the Rocky Mountain Anglers Club (or some similarly named group) has bought access rights to all the water I wanted to revisit. I couldn't get in to enjoy any of it. I'm not sure how extensive the problem is - but check their website to see if they have the area you are considering locked down. If they do - prepare to pay upwards of $500 to a private organization for the *privilege* of accessing public water.

If no one here can give you specific advice - try finding the phone number of a fly shop in the Silverton area & ask them for some tips (then stop in and buy a few flies from them . . .).

Good luck - and here's hoping you are more successful than I was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles