Aeon Rubber

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Got the truck back, not leaking, good sign.
I've had a serious personality clash with another staff member and have found a job working with a good mate in operations for an Aviation Charter company.

Sorry guys, but I may not be a contirbuting member soon, as cessna talk wont get far around here.

chock

Mate that is good news about the truck but not so good news about your job.
Thank you for all your help too.
Hey talk about planes we love them we are off to watch the Evans Head Great fly in in Jan.

I have ordered a front kit for the truck see how i go will post a few pis.

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Kerry, here is a couple of photos for you... of the bump stops on the front of our FG649...
Going by what Michigian Springs say, if your bump stops are on the chassis, you use kit MFFFG. If the bump stop is on the spring, you use kit MFFFGA. But... this is wrong after i ordered MFFFG Kit which does not fit where the original bump stop are on our truck.
So i emailed Tembrem and spoke to Murray, who tells me i need a MFFFGA kit.
So i hope this info helps you.

1102130001.JPG

1102130003.JPG

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes, that's the same as my bump stop so I have the wrong kit too. Are you doing an exchange? I'll have to call the company and see if they will swap mine out. Do you know the differences between the two kits?

Ok, I just looked at the pdf of the installation of the MFFFGA kit on the SD Truck Spring website and it shows that kit as mounting to the spring under the U-bolts and not to the frame above the spring. Are you sure Murray is correct?

What about the MFFFESP? They look like the bolt to the frame and not the spring. But they do look too long? Maybe not. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5497

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
[Kerry,
Yes i will hopefully will be doing a exchange of the kits.
The differance is the is yes mounted on the spring, well i hope Murray from Timbren is spot on about the kits.
Maybe you should give him a call it is a bit hard for me to call him seeing they are on the other side of the world.
I really think the MFFFG kit is for earlier 2wd to FG's i have gone though the Fuso parts system and most models run the same part number bumpstop as our truck.
The MFFESP the mount studs are too far apart they are 81mm center to center and on out truck they are 33mm.
I will keep you posted on how i go with the fitment of the kit.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'll try to call Timbren and talk to Murray early this coming week. Ed Sanders wasn't all that helpful as I noted earlier. He just said use the rubber part and mount it to a single hole from the old bump stop.
Just to be clear, you're saying that the MFFFGA kit which mounts on top of the spring in place of the raised metal platform that the current bump stop hits is the correct version? In other words, the new rubber stop will end up hitting the place on the frame where the current bump stop is bolted in? I ask because the picture of the frame above the rubber part in the MFFFGA installation pdf does not resemble the frame in our FG's.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Good idea give Murray a call he seams helpful and tell him you have the same problem as Peter in Australia.

Going by what Murray told me yes the MFFFGA is the right kit for our truck.
Yes the bumpstop will hit/bump where the old bumpstop was bolted to.
I cant not find what model of Canter FG uses MFFFG kit, can anyone help on that ?????????????
Yes the PDF's are not very good at all they need sizes on them to be more helpful becuase going by year is not enough, as i said before seeing our truck was built in 2002 sold as a 2003 model i was told if bumpstops are on spring you need MFFFGA if on chassis use MFFFG.

I will keep you posted , please let me know how you go with it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Ok, talked to Murray today. I still think there is some confusion going on. I told him my 99 and your 03 looked identical from your pictures. Murray thought the 2003 was a different model than my 99. I think we both have FG 639's. I believe the model years listed in the Timbren fit chart doesn't actually coincide with the years that Fuso changed suspension designs. Looks to me that the FG639 was sold in the US until 2004 so there shouldn't be a change in bump stops in 2002 as listed on the Timbren fitment chart.
Murray didn't have a clear explanation or understanding why the MFFFG was not fitting the FG639. He gave me the dimensions of the MFFFGA--5 3/4" between the u-bolts and 5 3/8" high. I'm going to measure the distances between my U bolts and make some kind of general guestimation of the proper height necessary. If it looks like the MFFFGA looks like it will fit, he will send me a replacement. As long as the u-bolt location has not been changed in later models, I'm thinking it will fit. But something odd is going on. They say they haven't had many problems with installation of the MFFFG on 99 model Fusos. I wonder what other customers have been doing?

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
More thoughts. In looking at the pictures of Engineer's and Peter's front axles, there are some significant differences. Engineers has many more leaves in the spring and the height of the spring seems quite different. Also, Engineer's U-bolts are flattened around the top of the spring whereas Peter's are rounded.
So the question is will the bump stop designed for the later model like Engineers (MFFFGA I assume) pictured in his post fit the spring/axle/bolt system pictured in Peter's posts?
Minus the actual rubber bump stop mounted on top of the raised platform on Engineer's truck, the raised platform looks roughly the same as the one on mine and Peter's truck. The only difference appears to be the moving of the rubber bumper from the frame down onto the top of the raised platform.
Engineer--can you confirm that you installed the MFFFGA model on your truck?

kerry

Expedition Leader
One more item: Since the Timbren bump stops are compressible and the OE aren't its clear that the Timbrens will add more travel to the suspension. Does anyone know if this additional travel is actually permitted by the shock absorbers? It seems possible to me that with the additional travel that you might end up compressing the shocks to the limit with the force being transmitted to the shock mounts instead of the bump stop. Has anyone investigated this?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Defenderbeam and Bruce (DontPanic2), which model number did you install on the front axle of your trucks? Did it mount to the spring or to the frame above the spring?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I will need to go back and search for the part #, but they mount under the U-bolts on top of the leaf springs.

They do not mount to the frame like the rear ones do.

my is the FG84, circa 2006

If you can't find the part number, can you look at Bruce's picture of his front axle? His is an FG639 I think and he must have used the MFFFGA kit--at least that's what it looks like. I'm thinking that if that kit worked on his, it will work on mine and Peter's.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Engineers has many more leaves in the spring and the height of the spring seems quite different. Also, Engineer's U-bolts are flattened around the top of the spring whereas Peter's are rounded.

Kerry,
Chocko will need to confirm this, but im fairly sure the differences in spring setup are because his truck has the long-leaf suspension upgrade, like under the front of mine. the 200mm longer spring packs are 30mm thicker on the front, than the standard packs.
Andrew

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Kerry,

The sizes Murray gave you are the same as he gave me seam right to me after i converted them to metric.
They should fit, just have to use 2 cup headed bolts in the holes where the old bumpstop was puleed off so it looks better.

FG649,FG637,FG649 all have the same set up with bumpstop attached to the chassis part number MC110185.I checked all this useing Fuso Australia electronic parts catalogue which i have been able to use.
FG84 models have it attached to the spring re Engineer's photo.
Not sure about FG439.

So Timbren have got it wrong sumwhere along the line but they dont seam to want to listen to us mere aussies lol lol.
I am still waiting to hear from Murray at Timbren and Marc from Michigan Springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior