AEV 2.5" JK suspension released!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am not a link savvy guy, but I just got an email from AEV about their 2.5" kit finally being released. $899 includes everything. I'm sure someone else can/will post a link. I think I'm going to stick with my OME stuff. It is working great.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
FYI:

It does not include the geometery correction brackets ($99.00) or the Procal ($149.00). The Procal is neccessary to correct the steering and change tire size if you are going bigger like we are.

Ours is on order, but it may be a month or so before it's installed at AT. The new Orange Crush JKUR should be here next week, and will be waiting for it. So will a set of 255\80-17's!

dstock

Explorer
FYI:

It does not include the geometery correction brackets ($99.00) or the Procal ($149.00). The Procal is neccessary to correct the steering and change tire size if you are going bigger like we are.

Ours is on order, but it may be a month or so before it's installed at AT. The new Orange Crush JKUR should be here next week, and will be waiting for it. So will a set of 255\80-17's!

I don't see the need for the procal except for speedometer adjustment with bigger tires. The steering can be centered manually. The control arm brackets I ordered with my lift as I want as close to stock steering as possible and would welcome less diving when braking.

Congrats on the new JKU!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
On the '12's it re-centers the wheel and resets tire size to keep it out of limp mode. It's 100% required for larger tires on the new JK.

dstock

Explorer
On the '12's it re-centers the wheel and resets tire size to keep it out of limp mode. It's 100% required for larger tires on the new JK.

Interesting. I have a Hypertech for my tire sizing needs, and a host of other things as well.

How does it re-center the wheel? Having trouble understanding how an electronic box can lengthen or shorten the steering link?

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My brother ordered a '12 JKU and will be picking it up this weekend. I am curious as to what you are saying he will need for a lift and bigger tires. I am not up on new Jeeps, my last one was a '97 Cherokee.

dstock

Explorer
My brother ordered a '12 JKU and will be picking it up this weekend. I am curious as to what you are saying he will need for a lift and bigger tires. I am not up on new Jeeps, my last one was a '97 Cherokee.

Bigger tires require a device of some sort to change the tire size in the computer, AEV Procal, Hypertech, Superchips all will will do this for you and a host of other things. Hypertech and Superchips also have tuning packages but not for the 2012's yet. For the moment, the Pro-cal is the cheapest option.

Unless the 2012's are steer by wire, I don't know why you would need a computer adjustment for it, however the steering wheel does need to be centered after the lift by adjusting the sleeve on the drag link or your electronic stability control will get upset.

Hope this helps.

No "Steer by Wire" (yet anyway) but what the ProCal does allow you to do is properly zero out the steering angle sensor when doing an alignment. The dealer can do this, but the average alignment shop can not. It involves manually setting the tires "straight" using the alignment rack, then using the ProCal to tell you where exactly zero is on the steering angle sensor. This helps ESP and reduces false ESP events to virtually nothing. Its the "right" way to do it, though for most people setting the steering wheel visually is normally "good enough".

As for tire size, the ESP system compares Yaw Rate, with G-force and known speed and requested yaw via the steering angle sensor to known values. If you don't correct for speed, you're feeding the system bad data and you'll get bad data out. This also effects the transmission.

As far as I know the ProCal is the only programmer out there that also allows you to change gear ratios if you choose to.

Tons of info over on our forum too and in the FAQ's on our site.

dh

schmugboy

Observer
Is doing a lift something a DIY person can do in the garage with a few tools and jack stands. I did my spacers, but is was a major pita getting the springs to drop. If I need a shop to install, do I just take the parts to them, is a dealership a better option or find a shop that specializes in 4x4's. I think this is the lift for me, just have to work out the finer details.

dstock

Explorer
No "Steer by Wire" (yet anyway) but what the ProCal does allow you to do is properly zero out the steering angle sensor when doing an alignment. The dealer can do this, but the average alignment shop can not. It involves manually setting the tires "straight" using the alignment rack, then using the ProCal to tell you where exactly zero is on the steering angle sensor. This helps ESP and reduces false ESP events to virtually nothing. Its the "right" way to do it, though for most people setting the steering wheel visually is normally "good enough".

As for tire size, the ESP system compares Yaw Rate, with G-force and known speed and requested yaw via the steering angle sensor to known values. If you don't correct for speed, you're feeding the system bad data and you'll get bad data out. This also effects the transmission.

As far as I know the ProCal is the only programmer out there that also allows you to change gear ratios if you choose to.

Tons of info over on our forum too and in the FAQ's on our site.

dh

Thanks for the info on the steering sensor, I didn't see that specifically in the FAQ, next time I will look further.

Both Hypertech and Superchips allow you to change gear ratios, but I have read in several forums that the JK (at least the pre-12's) doesn't care about gear ratio it relies solely on the speedometer being correct. Hypertech added it to their deviece simply because others offered it but admitted it didn't have an effect. Guess it's a JK thing.

The Procal for sure is the more cost effective solution for those not seeking a performance tune.

Thanks for the info, looking foward to gettting my lift installed!

JPK

Explorer
2012's are entirely different that 2011's and previous. I don't believe that any device other than the AEV Procal works to change gear setting on 2012's.

I understand automatic transmission shift points on 2011's and prior are affected by both tire size inputs and gear set inputs.

Also, think of this, if the tires size OR the gear set inputs were incorrect the speedometer could not be accurate.

dstock

Explorer
2012's are entirely different that 2011's and previous. I don't believe that any device other than the AEV Procal works to change gear setting on 2012's.

I understand automatic transmission shift points on 2011's and prior are affected by both tire size inputs and gear set inputs.

Also, think of this, if the tires size OR the gear set inputs were incorrect the speedometer could not be accurate.

Since we are getting way off topic here, I'll start a different thread but I can easily test the gear issue on my 2010/Auto with my Hypertech and see if it makes a difference. Will try it this weekend and start a new thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online