AEV Prospector

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The Ram has a rear limited slip which works very well. I would assume the front could be a problem because of the weight and torque. I would love to have front and rear lockers. I haven't heard of very many people at all putting E-lockers in the front of a newer Diesel of any brand.
The limited slip in my 2014 Ram is an enormous POS, and Chrysler refuses to fix it under warranty. One time i was stuck in mud, with only one side spinning and I could hear a gawd awful racket from the rear differential. It chatters on dry pavement when turning a corner, even worse when pulling a trailer. It's the number one reason I'll probably own a Ford next, and I told my wife after selling my only ford work Truck to remind me to never buy another ford again

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Ecoboost F150 is a nice truck. Have a couple friends that have them. My buddy who's been a Master Tech or whatever you call it for FoMoCo for going on 30 yrs has an F150 with the Coyote, loves it and gets decent mpgs as well. I asked him about the EB and he said it's a great engine but he sure wouldn't own one outside of warranty.

The Ecoboosts are quick,quiet trucks if you don't tow often. Fuel economy plummets in that situation towing. My neighbor's Supercrew 2wd,stock Michelin's averages 15 mpg city/highway empty.I agree that owning one out of warranty would keep me up at night.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I could get as good or better than 15mpg with the 6.2v8 in the chevy. IMO 15 is not very good at all for a motor with the name eco in it.

Theoretician

Adventurer
The Ecoboosts are quick,quiet trucks if you don't tow often. Fuel economy plummets in that situation towing. My neighbor's Supercrew 2wd,stock Michelin's averages 15 mpg city/highway empty.I agree that owning one out of warranty would keep me up at night.

While I agree that ecoboosts are good truck motors, 15mpg is pretty weak. I have a 3.5EB F150, single cab and 8ft bed, 4x4 with 3.73 gears, and I've been averaging 19mpg for the first 2000 miles of its life with one tank at 22mpg.

p nut

butter
Hey hey, I'm right here, guys. I can hear you! :D
-
I don't know how my little 2.7 will hold up. For a long time, I hope. There are several F150's on Ecoboost forums that have 200+. One guy had 300k+ before trading it in and it was still running great.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...s-mileage.html#/topics/3594?page=17&_k=ctzvqg

The 2.7 and the new 3.5's have a strong cgi block. If the diesels (which are also turbo) are getting mega miles out of these blocks, I'm not too worried. And if it happens, it happens. Meanwhile, I love towing with this thing. Not great MPG, but decent. Going 75-80mph with a 5k lb enclosed trailer, I'm at 10. Highway, I'm at 22. City, 17. That 2wd guy must be driving like a maniac. Any idiot knows boost = poor mileage.

p nut

butter
The limited slip in my 2014 Ram is an enormous POS, and Chrysler refuses to fix it under warranty. One time i was stuck in mud, with only one side spinning and I could hear a gawd awful racket from the rear differential. It chatters on dry pavement when turning a corner, even worse when pulling a trailer. It's the number one reason I'll probably own a Ford next, and I told my wife after selling my only ford work Truck to remind me to never buy another ford again

That reminded me of this video:
-
https://youtu.be/erB8Ov5M2rE
(Skip to 9:50)
-
I didn't bring it up as a Ford vs Dodge thing, but more of LSD vs locker.
-
Is the Dodge LSD an actual LSD or brake induced traction control (like Toyota's ATRAC)? Toyota's system worked pretty well for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's the number one reason I'll probably own a Ford next, and I told my wife after selling my only ford work Truck to remind me to never buy another ford again

That age old axiom: If it has **** or wheels, it is gonna give ya trouble....

js9234

Observer
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 4X4 and the rear LSD has never given me a problem and works really good. I take mine offroad a lot and tow a trailer quite a bit. It isn't brake induced traction control. Maybe you just got a lemon. I haven't heard of any failures with the rears on these. A couple of people with higher miles(100K+) added a friction modifier to make it a little quieter though.

aearles

Observer
I'm curious whether plainjanefjc's 14 ram was a 2500+ with the AAM 11.5" or a half ton? The 11.5" (and pre-14 10.5") is a helical gear type LSD that does not require friction modifier additive like the clutch based LSD's do.

I'm not sure what they put in the 1500.

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
I may be biased :D but I love the Prospector (XL). We have put our trucks through the ringer of tests. At shows, I often have Ford and Chevy owners coming up and asking if we make stuff for their trucks because they want the quality and functionality of AEV. We have many owners out west and all over the country. Many tow their trailers or add an overlanding camper to the bed. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Also my most recent road trip I was getting 17MPG in the 6.7L Cummins in the Prospector XL.

Lastly, if you're willing to make the drive, we are having an open house Wednesday. Details are in the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1189462714443228/

p nut

butter
I may be biased :D but I love the Prospector (XL). We have put our trucks through the ringer of tests. At shows, I often have Ford and Chevy owners coming up and asking if we make stuff for their trucks because they want the quality and functionality of AEV. We have many owners out west and all over the country. Many tow their trailers or add an overlanding camper to the bed. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Also my most recent road trip I was getting 17MPG in the 6.7L Cummins in the Prospector XL.

Lastly, if you're willing to make the drive, we are having an open house Wednesday. Details are in the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1189462714443228/

Hey, why DON'T you guys make stuff for Ford/Chevy? Would be great to have another option.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm curious whether plainjanefjc's 14 ram was a 2500+ with the AAM 11.5" or a half ton? The 11.5" (and pre-14 10.5") is a helical gear type LSD that does not require friction modifier additive like the clutch based LSD's do.

I'm not sure what they put in the 1500.
Its the AAM 11.5 which is supposed to not have friction modifier due to helical gears not clutches. Dealership wanted to install friction modifier and charge me for it under warranty, even though owners manual specifically says not to put friction modifier in these axles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles