AEV RAM Overland Rig

SonOfNeptune

I have outgrown the 4 door JK. With family, dog, gear... just no room.

Beyond that I have been waiting for years now for Jeep to release a diesel version of the JK... tired of waiting.

The RAM Power Wagon has great capabilities so why not take a RAM 3500 CTD and add lockers to it, add the winch and the AEV package. With an end result being a full size truck with dual functions as a daily driver and overland adventure vehicle. Yes it won't be "as nimble" as a smaller platform such as the Jeep, but who cares? I have outgrown the rock-crawling phase and at the end of the day with the right gear, driver skill and knowledge of your rig you can get you anywhere a jeep will go to begin with. Now its more about getting out to enjoy nature and the outdoors.

Any reason to dispute a full size platform?

Keyne

Adventurer
In my opinion it makes a ton (no pun intended) of sense if you want to have a truck camper. I have been running the numbers on a Tacoma with an FWC vs a Tundra with XYZ camper... if you want to stay within the design guidelines they just dont have the payload capacity. I started looking at the new F150 but at that size you might as well go full size and get the camper that you want... Enter the AEV Ram. Cummins diesel, add some lockers and the AEV dual sport suspension and it seems like the perfect truck camper setup to me. Now I just need to save some $$$.

SonOfNeptune

While the camper is not on my radar as of now, the consideration is there as an option if I decide to expand in the future. I like the idea of having the option for growth. Beyond that, AEV is awesome... Having had jeeps in the past and having taken them off road rock crawling I don't think I will be missing much. Add lockers, a storage system in the back, maybe a bed cap... whalla.

ripperj

Explorer
Not sure what the advantage of the CTD would be unless you are towing, heavy and expensive to buy,run and maintain compared to the Hemi

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Not sure what the advantage of the CTD would be unless you are towing, heavy and expensive to buy,run and maintain compared to the Hemi

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

One advatage is range... both on-highway and off. Diesels use much less fuel at lower engine speeds/idle than gas-powered mills.

Also, for who knows how much longer, Ram is the holdout still offering a manual transmission in heavy-duty pickups for those of us who love driving them. Not much compares to driving a torquey turbo-diesel with a manual tranny. :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have outgrown the 4 door JK. With family, dog, gear... just no room.

Beyond that I have been waiting for years now for Jeep to release a diesel version of the JK... tired of waiting. ?

There are some advantages to diesel rigs (and some challenges/negatives too, like everything), and I'm a decades long diesel fan.

The RAM Power Wagon has great capabilities so why not take a RAM 3500 CTD and add lockers to it, add the winch and the AEV package.

Yes, agreed, that can be a good setup. You might also consider the Ram 2500 with rear coils... I'm enjoying mine. The AEV stuff is great and tempting, but remember that the 2500/3500 Rams are pretty tall stock and not much if any lift is needed, and overall height can add challenges off-highway.

Is you buy a Ram/Cummins, you would probably enjoy the Turbo Diesel Register magazine, a tech-focused quarterly for Ram diesels that's been around for 21+ years.

With an end result being a full size truck with dual functions as a daily driver and overland adventure vehicle. Yes it won't be "as nimble" as a smaller platform such as the Jeep, but who cares? I have outgrown the rock-crawling phase and at the end of the day with the right gear, driver skill and knowledge of your rig you can get you anywhere a jeep will go to begin with. Now its more about getting out to enjoy nature and the outdoors.

Any reason to dispute a full size platform

Those are good arguments, and many people use their everyday work truck or personal pickup for backcountry travel. If one is not going out to seek the most challenging trails and just wants to get where they are going, full-size trucks can work great, while offering much more space and capacity.

FYI, Overland Journal has a Ram/Cummins buildup starting soon.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
AT recently performed an AEV make over on a Dodge RAM 2500 diesel. The vehicle will be at Overland Expo West this week. The truck will be paired with a Four Wheel Camper, Hawk, slide in camper. Drop by our booth to see the vehicle.

11209710_976790525685602_2275091447350253149_n.jpg

mtm_motors

Observer
It is a great build.

I would love to do the AEV flatbed style build on an '05 Ram (for affordability issues, I've driven a '15 quite a bit and love it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94