AEV RAM Overland Rig

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have outgrown the rock-crawling phase and at the end of the day with the right gear, driver skill and knowledge of your rig you can get you anywhere a jeep will go to begin with.

Not a chance. The full size truck simply will not fit where the Jeep will. It's longer, wider, heavier, doesn't turn as sharp, it isn't balanced as well, ... they're completely different vehicles.

A skilled driver may get a full size truck through the same terrain that challenges an inexperienced driver in a Jeep, but if you take two equally skilled drivers, who are equally experienced in their vehicles, the Jeep will get to a whole lot more places than the full size truck.

The question is - do you want to go to the places that the Jeep will get to but the full size won't? Five years ago, I asked myself that question - the answer was "no". I sold the Rubicon & bought the 3/4 ton Dodge & not long after added a FWC. It was a good move. Our travel habits were changing (less technical terrain & more hanging out at cool spots) & the truck/camper was a better fit. Given those travel habits, there are a ton of advantages to the truck & camper (range, capacity, "live in" vs "live around", durability, on-road comfort, fuel economy, the list goes on), No one knows what the future will bring, but for now, I'm happy with giving up the technical terrain in exchange for some creature comforts.

Maybe you will be too - just don't lie to yourself, it won't go to all the same places as a Jeep.

Completely agree, all very true, the Ram won't go everywhere a Jeep in skilled hands will go. However, after driving them around off-road this last year, its surprising how capable they are when properly set up. I had this same dilemma when I started building my 06 Ram for a camper (which ended up how AEV got going with this Ram project), but my conclusion was "screw it, If I'm going somewhere I'll need a Jeep, I'll just tow a Jeep, the Cummins Ram won't even know its there" I'm confident that I can get a Ram in most places that most people take Jeeps, its just not intended to be something that you would set off just to wheel in recreationally, its more of a destination wheeler..meaning I wouldn't take the Ram to Area BFE for the day just to test my skills, but I would certainly take it (and a camper) to most remote lakes or what have you. After wheeling a Brute over the Rubicon last year, I'd say that was about the limit for size for that trail to not have body damage. The Ram single cab is the same wheelbase, a bit wider, but the real limiting factor is without the Jeep style slab sides and super wide flares, the body is much more susceptible to damage, so I don't think I would take one over the Rubicon, but you certainly could.

I think of it as a mini-unimog that will cruise at 85mph, easy to service, quiet but very capable both on and off-road and likes to work hard. Its certainly not a Jeep, won't ever be a Jeep and won't go the same places a Jeep will, but it does a lot of things a lot better than a Jeep. Kind of like motorcycles, there is not one bike that does everything well.

dh

TwinStick

Explorer
IMHO, it is a GREAT platform.

The only 2 things i don't like about our 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56 6-speed manual, is the 8-10 mpg & that i had to rebuild the front end at 18k. (i think it was from towing our trailer---but now it's done with the best parts) It tows our 10,500 lb camper like nobody's business, takes me & my daughter hunting & fishing, has hauled 3920 lbs of stone or dirt numerous times, hauled refrigerators, freezers, washers, driers, mowers, snowblowers, etc. & washed up takes the family out to dinner as well. I had to use the winch 1 time to get myself unstuck---worth it's weight in gold that day. Have used the winch many times for shrub removal, small tree removal & 4x to help drop a big tree in an exact spot. Our trucks are NOT Jeeps. Jeeps are NOT trucks. You can put 100k into a Jeep & it will still not be able to do what a stock 3/4 or 1 ton pick up truck can do-as far as hauling & towing. Our trucks will not go eveywhere a Jeep can go. But they ain't too shabby for a full sized truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G81HPH0F4A No other box stock 3/4 ton pickup can do this-----PERIOD !

Weigh your needs & decide which is best for you.

The only thing i have added to ours is add a set of Hellwig Load Pro 35's to the stock leaf springs.

Last edited:

SonOfNeptune

Not a chance. The full size truck simply will not fit where the Jeep will. It's longer, wider, heavier, doesn't turn as sharp, it isn't balanced as well, ... they're completely different vehicles.

A skilled driver may get a full size truck through the same terrain that challenges an inexperienced driver in a Jeep, but if you take two equally skilled drivers, who are equally experienced in their vehicles, the Jeep will get to a whole lot more places than the full size truck.

The question is - do you want to go to the places that the Jeep will get to but the full size won't? Five years ago, I asked myself that question - the answer was "no". I sold the Rubicon & bought the 3/4 ton Dodge & not long after added a FWC. It was a good move. Our travel habits were changing (less technical terrain & more hanging out at cool spots) & the truck/camper was a better fit. Given those travel habits, there are a ton of advantages to the truck & camper (range, capacity, "live in" vs "live around", durability, on-road comfort, fuel economy, the list goes on), No one knows what the future will bring, but for now, I'm happy with giving up the technical terrain in exchange for some creature comforts.

Maybe you will be too - just don't lie to yourself, it won't go to all the same places as a Jeep.

Im confident that it will take me where I need to go. I hear exactly what you are saying about the jeep. I have owned one for just under a decade. I am that guy who "does more with a 2" OME lift on 31"s than those guys do with their 5.5" RE Lifts and 35"s". Don't get me wrong, I understand the turning radius of the RAM is nothing compared to the jeep and that the length of the vehicle plays a factor as well. I am simply stating that for my needs it will take me anywhere I need to go. This rig is 'surprisingly capable' when set up properly. And as Dave eluded to, I am not looking to run the rubicon trail with it... although knowing that I could if needed is a plus. I am looking to get out to remote lakes and hide-aways for camping and exploration. If I want to get back into hardcore rock crawling and wheeling again then I just tow what ever jeep it is to the remote location and have at it.

Like you my travel habits have/are changing. That being said I am looking forward to using the AEV Ram as my overland platform.

I like the idea of having a "Mini-Unimog" if you will.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
AT recently performed an AEV make over on a Dodge RAM 2500 diesel. The vehicle will be at Overland Expo West this week. The truck will be paired with a Four Wheel Camper, Hawk, slide in camper. Drop by our booth to see the vehicle.

View attachment 284034

Coming up on 10 years towing our AT Horizon behind the Jeep. We still enjoy it a lot but we're starting to think like some of the others in this thread about moving up to a little more space. We'll be by to check it out at OVX.

SonOfNeptune

[/QUOTE]

Is you buy a Ram/Cummins, you would probably enjoy the Turbo Diesel Register magazine, a tech-focused quarterly for Ram diesels that's been around for 21+ years.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up... I just subscribed and mentioned you as the referral

chet6.7

Explorer
I think if someone places a big enough order at Geno's Garage you get a free subscription to the TDR magazine.I don't remember how large the order has to be.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I think if someone places a big enough order at Geno's Garage you get a free subscription to the TDR magazine.I don't remember how large the order has to be.

You don't have to buy much to end up with a large order at Geno's. I wasted $170 on their NV4500 Fast Coolers that leak more than the BP Deep Water Horizon. Ended up taking them off after 3 attempts to stop them from leaking. Now they sit in a box on the shelf…. Total waste of money and these were one of the least expensive items Geno's sells.

TommyG

Adventurer
I have not seen it in person but here are some more photos:

file.php

file.php

file.php

SonOfNeptune

A couple more... One is from AEV's trip out to NM and the other is mine taken from the show

Attachments

• IMG_5321.jpg
    IMG_5321.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 26
  • NM Backroads.jpg
    NM Backroads.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 22

Observer
Love it. New around here. I think this is my new favorite forum!

Want to go that way with my superduty. Installing a cummins into it currently lol.

I'm a big fan of the full size personally. Does all I need around here in my terrain. In and around the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432069037.296066.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles