Africa Eco Race - The Real Race

Oilworker

Explorer
I know, everybody is dream of "The Dakar", but will your dream really come true when you spend beyond $ 200.000,- to race as an amateur in South America???
I guess not!

There is an alternative though: The Africa Eco Race (www.africarace.com)

It was created by Hubert Auriol and I had the opportunity to drive the last, the 2012 edition, in Raid Class, following the Porsche 911 Safari of Dr. Erik Brandenburg.

Check it out and maybe you´ll understand what I mean when I say that the real adventure and race is in Africa, has always been and will always be.
As Hubert Auriol put it over a glass of Pastis in early January 2012, "Here in Africa it does´t matter who you are outside the rally, here it´s all about you, your team and Africa!"

[video=youtube;OwygBgCmqd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OwygBgCmqd0#![/video]

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx, Haven.

The Classic is what Erik Brandenburg and I initiated in last years race, when Erik entered in his Transsyberia proven Porsche 911 Safari.

The feedback of his adventure was so overwhelming for the organizers and I kept pushing René Metge and JL Schlesser for it, that they announced the Classic category at the finish at Lac Rose.
A practical guide for your preparations can be found on the website: http://www.africarace.com/en/competitor/pratical-information.html

As of now, there are 5 Porsche 911 entering in next year´s race.

All cars until and incl. 1986 are allowed, but René Metge has decided that newer cars may apply, too. The race commitée will then decide if the car fits the spirit of the old Dakar.

I think the Classic in the Africa Eco Race is just perfect to live the dream that we have of "The Dakar". In the early days, when we became fans of this adventure, we either were kids or didn´t have the time or budget to enter the rally. Now we have the chance to rebuild our idols car to it´s original specifications and colors and race on the same tracks, with the legendary drivers around us, e.g. Jean-Louis Schlesser, René Metge, Hubert Auriol, Noel Essers and many more.

If you need any help to prepare your car or bike for the classic, refer to this website: http://dakardantan.com/
There you´ll find all existing images of the Dakar under Thierry Sabine.

In the 2013 edition of the Africa Eco Race there will be service trucks available to take your spares or gear and crew that can assist with your service needs.
If you need any further information or assistance, just drop a line.
Erik and I are both preparing for the race and Erik has one Porsche 911 Safari, which he´s build, that he may rent if someone´s really interested.

I just found this article about Erik´s preparations for last year´s race: http://www.velocetoday.com/safari-time-for-the-doc/

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Some of the movie clips of the 2012 Sonangol Africa Eco Race:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5 and 6

Stage 7

Stage 8
was cancelled because of undrivable sand conditions in Mauretania

Stage 9

Stage 10

Oilworker

Explorer
Enjoy this great movie about the 1984 Paris-Dakar and the epic battle between the Porsche 911 and Range Rover.

In the upcoming Africa Eco Race 2013 there will, for the first time, be a Classic category especially for the car´s and bikes from the early years of the Paris-Dakar Rallye.

Joash

Adventurer
There is definitely no substitute for Africa. Dakar rally should really be renamed.

I know, everybody is dream of "The Dakar", but will your dream really come true when you spend beyond $ 200.000,- to race as an amateur in South America???
I guess not!

There is an alternative though: The Africa Eco Race (www.africarace.com)

It was created by Hubert Auriol and I had the opportunity to drive the last, the 2012 edition, in Raid Class, following the Porsche 911 Safari of Dr. Erik Brandenburg.

Check it out and maybe you´ll understand what I mean when I say that the real adventure and race is in Africa, has always been and will always be.
As Hubert Auriol put it over a glass of Pastis in early January 2012, "Here in Africa it does´t matter who you are outside the rally, here it´s all about you, your team and Africa!"

xbox73

Adventurer
I think the most practical rally for most of us would be a 'banger rally' i.e. buy a 'pile' for 500 $/€/£ and see if one can make it to the end / how far one can get / how ingenious one can be with repairs. If it's an interesting route & a worthwhile distance, the adventure component would take care of itself, and the stories would likely last a lifetime. While the traditional London-Cape Town run would be fun, I have lived in both cities & toured neighboring countries, so while there is still a vast swath of land between them, that particular route maybe holds a bit less interest for me. Something like London - Peking, or maybe more likely San Diego (where I live) or Los Angeles to somewhere near the tip of South America might be more enticing.

Oilworker

Explorer
G´day.
The Africa Eco Race 2013 has started!
The competitors arrived in Morocco yesterday morning but due to an incident with one of the two ferrys, they had booked for the more than 200 vehicles, the customs were delayed and the special stage had to be cancelled for the cars and trucks.

Today they are starting from the camp in Boudnib and head out onto a 409km Special Stage which will take them over the Erg Chebli in Merzouga before they reach the next camp at Tagounite.

You can follow the race live through a service provided by TDCOM, the french provider for satellite communication and timing during the Africa Eco Race:

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/africarace2013/

Route profiles and subsequently daily press reports are on the rally´s website: http://www.africarace-live.com/en/

So long,

Robert

deadly99

Explorer
I have tried contacting the org but haven't received an answer. Does anyone know if bikes are allowed in the Classic category?

Thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA