Aftermarket radio help/Spiral Audio

Glapin

Hey guys, long story short. I purchased all the necessary wiring harnesses from Spiral Audio for my 06 LR3. I got the fiber optic adaptor for the factory amplifier and the steering wheel control module. I hooked up the Kenwood head unit and walla. It powered up great, the steering wheel controls work, but I have no sound.

The directions from Spiral were pretty horrible and the customer service is to be desired. Anyone that can offer some wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Glapin

They got back to me and determined that it is due to a faulty Fiber optic module they sent me. They put another one in the mail today. Once its in I'll do a post about it. I absolutely love my truck and am very much a function over fashion mentality but a decent radio with car play, bluetooth etc is a nice creature comfort.

Glapin

So, I am officially in the 21st century. One of my frustrations with my LR was the lack of compatibility with modern day radio/blue-tooth systems. I found that Spiral Audio makes a wiring harness as well as a module for the fiber optic amplifier and the steering wheel controls. They sent me the replacement module and it's all in. I'm now running a new Kenwood head unit with apple car play. The fit and finish are quite nice, the steering wheel controls work perfectly controlling the mode, volume and track/station. The blue-tooth for my phone calls and music are great as well. This is only day one so I can't speak on longevity but thus far I am very happy.

tdhunter13

Observer
Hey @Glapin , would you mind uploading some pictures of the setup? Also, would you be willing to share what that project looks like cost wise? I am looking to keep my LR3 into the future a ways and modernizing the sound system is on my list.

Thanks,
Tyler

Glapin

The total package for the wiring harness was $367. That includes the dash kit, wiring harness, fiber optic module and steering wheel control module. It’s pretty straight forward. The only splicing is from the harness to the dongle of whatever head unit you buy. Then it’s all direct plug into the factory vehicle connections. I went with a middle of the road Kenwood unit which was about $250 I think.

I just need to finish routing the microphone wire and install the little lip trim around the gap on the radio.

Hey @Glapin , would you mind uploading some pictures of the setup? Also, would you be willing to share what that project looks like cost wise? I am looking to keep my LR3 into the future a ways and modernizing the sound system is on my list.

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• A8A2ADDD-07C9-4531-B30A-6D7B106FCC9E.jpeg
    A8A2ADDD-07C9-4531-B30A-6D7B106FCC9E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 2CF74729-E09B-4B74-BF2C-264CA5E5AFBC.jpeg
    2CF74729-E09B-4B74-BF2C-264CA5E5AFBC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • 1A4DA296-D08B-450B-BC01-57BB8CD25028.jpeg
    1A4DA296-D08B-450B-BC01-57BB8CD25028.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 5D579056-0A89-4188-B448-EDF32DCE5141.jpeg
    5D579056-0A89-4188-B448-EDF32DCE5141.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

Skyjacker03

Good deal! How is the volume compared to stock? Some say it’s lower. Did you loose any other functions besides the clock on your dash? I think I heard you loose some of the menu options?
I am on the fence about this mod vs adding a aftermarket unit to the cubby above and running off the AUX of the oem radio. I really want blue tooth and to add a back up camera. I like the camera that mounts where your license plate light mounts but I don’t like that you can’t see your rear bumper. It’s nice to be able to see how close you are to things.

I am glad it all worked out for you.

Glapin

Good deal! How is the volume compared to stock? Some say it’s lower. Did you loose any other functions besides the clock on your dash? I think I heard you loose some of the menu options?
I am on the fence about this mod vs adding a aftermarket unit to the cubby above and running off the AUX of the oem radio. I really want blue tooth and to add a back up camera. I like the camera that mounts where your license plate light mounts but I don’t like that you can’t see your rear bumper. It’s nice to be able to see how close you are to things.

I am glad it all worked out for you.

I didn't have nav or the upper screen, so I didn't loose any functions other than the phone answer/hang up buttons. The volume and clarity are awesome, way better than the factory aux port or any BT transmitters I've tried. The phone calls are clear and the folks on the other end can hear me fine through the mic that came with the head unit. As a note, Spiral Audio does have reverse camera options that plug directly into the after market head units and display on the screen, I just didn't bother with it.

My truck is very bare bones and utilitarian. I drive and wheel it hard, but I do enjoy the creature comfort of now being able to have good tunes and talk on the phone hands free.

@Glapin so this allows you to pretty much install "any" dual din head-unit?

Only reason I ask is it would be nice as some now allow for different Video inputs and such and even pair with maps and CarPlay, etc.

I currently run everything off my BT Aux adapter through my cubby mount iPad 9.7 6th Gen with no issues but; as my truck gets more and more stacked with rear items, I really wish I had backup camera and modern head unit at times.

Glapin

@Glapin so this allows you to pretty much install "any" dual din head-unit?

Only reason I ask is it would be nice as some now allow for different Video inputs and such and even pair with maps and CarPlay, etc.

I currently run everything off my BT Aux adapter through my cubby mount iPad 9.7 6th Gen with no issues but; as my truck gets more and more stacked with rear items, I really wish I had backup camera and modern head unit at times.
That's correct. I believe this is the best kept secret for our trucks. I've searched for years to do an upgrade like this and was more or less told it wouldn't work. There's a long list of manufacturers it will work with and the instructions are fairly clear on which wiring set up you connect for the relative company of the head unit. My Kenwood came with a video in, back up camera and another aux hook-up that I chose not to use, but you can run video and a back up camera.

Again, I can't speak for the test of time as I've only had it in for about a week now, but thus far I am extremely happy. I get in, start her up and my phone automatically connects and my music comes on. If I want to make a call I either have to use the radio screen or my phone as the phone hang up/answer buttons are the only two that aren't retained on the steering wheel. Mode button, skip track and volume all work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles