AIR ASSISTED SHOCK ABSORBERS / DAMPERS

part time nomad

Adventurer
I would like to lift the rear of my Mercedes Vario a bit, also I think it would improve the ride a bit.

I was wondering if anyone has come across suitable air assisted shock absorbers? as this would be an easy way of doing it, as opposed to fabricating air springs on to the axle, like I did for the front. :jumping:

alan

Explorer
I would like to lift the rear of my Mercedes Vario a bit, also I think it would improve the ride a bit.

I was wondering if anyone has come across suitable air assisted shock absorbers? as this would be an easy way of doing it, as opposed to fabricating air springs on to the axle, like I did for the front. :jumping:

Try monroe.com.au they make air shockers that may be what your looking for, just remember your then carrying weight on the shocker mounts.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Thanks for that Alan,

Good point you mention there, about carrying weight on the shock mounts! I didn't think of that, I just saw it as an easy option!
I have found an Italian company called SABO that possibly list them for my truck, the top shock mounts are on a tubular chassis cross member so quite substantial.

On the front I fitted an air bag between the chassis and spring, but I am struggling to find a way to do it on the rear, without removing the bump stops, that I am in keen to do for obviously reasons,

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
You could just lift the back by flipping the rear spring hangers. But are you sure you need more travel on the back?
I'm running at about 5500kg total weight and I've confirmed (by video) that my rear springs almost never hit the bump stops. If anything I need to soften them.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Ian, I`m running a bit heavier than you it seems, at 6200kgs total, with all tanks full! (you did well to keep yours that low)

The reason for lifting the rear is mainly for aesthetics! it just looks low on the rear, I think I can change this to a part by altering the rear body.

I agree that if anything they need softening, that's where the air bags come in! by lifting the rear an inch or two with air, it will put in extra flex, above the normal spring load, making the ride better, but not softening the spring rate.

The air pressure would be adjustable (front & rear separately) I have this system on the front and on rough roads it certainly improves the ride!

Also if I can get this system on the back, I can use it to increase the rear overhang height to save getting caught up.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I have looked at options for fitting bags in the back also but there isn't really enough room

part time nomad

Adventurer
Yes I know its a bit tight there< I shall take a closer look when the weather gets warmer!

If I can come up with a solution would you be interested if I knock up an extra set of brackets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior